• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Glu finds success again with Kendall & Kylie after Katy Perry game didn't do well

http://venturebeat.com/2016/02/24/k...he-top-10-again-after-poor-katy-perry-launch/

Founded in 2001, Glu toiled away for years in mobile gaming until it scores a huge success with the launch of Kim Kardashian: Hollywood in 2014. That game generated more than $146 million to date. The revenue came with very low user acquisition costs — which are usually the scourge of mobile game developers who have to advertise heavily to get noticed among 1.5 million games in a $30 billion market. It worked because Kardashian sends fans back to the game every time she shares something on social media about it.

That prompted Niccolo De Masi to sign up other celebrities who, collectively, have more than a billion followers on social media. Glu launched its Katy Perry Pop game in mid-December, but that game didn’t do well. In an interview with GamesBeat, De Masi acknowledged the mistakes that the company made in the Katy Perry game. But he said the company regrouped and moved on to the next title. And this one is hot. At the moment, the game is at No. 9 on the top-grossing games list in the U.S. iOS app store, and it is No. 3 in downloads.

In its first five days, Kendall & Kylie was downloaded more than 1.3 million times in the U.S. on iOS. During the same period at launch, Kim Kardashian: Hollywood only had 612,000 downloads, according to Glu. In the first five days, Kendall & Kylie made more than $680,000 through in-app purchases, while the Kardashian game made $222,000 in the same time frame. It took Kendall & Kylie two days to reach No. 1 in downloads for free iPhone apps in the U.S., while it took Kim Kardashian: Hollywood 24 days to do that. Reviews are also 92 percent positive for the Kendall & Kylie game, compared to 94 percent for Kim Kardashian: Hollywood and 55 percent for Katy Perry Pop.

DSCN2535.jpg

kendall-kylie-4.jpg

article includes an interview with Glu's CEO. They also have a Taylor Swift game in the works, which was announced earlier this month.

Stopdoor

Reviews are also 92 percent positive for the Kendall & Kylie game, compared to 94 percent for Kim Kardashian: Hollywood and 55 percent for Katy Perry Pop.

Really? 92-94%? I hope that's being extremely selective.

Bane

Not sure why but it's kinda crazy that they're just like "Oh, no one likes this game so fuck it, let's move on." instead of trying to fix it. Granted, I know nothing of these games so it could easily be a fundamental problem that wouldn't be worth the money and effort to fix.

Is there not an OT for this yet? I've not downloaded it yet but I've heard it's like a mobile souls game, but more hardcore.

Not sure why but it's kinda crazy that they're just like "Oh, no one likes this game so fuck it, let's move on." instead of trying to fix it. Granted, I know nothing of these games so it could easily be a fundamental problem that wouldn't be worth the money and effort to fix.

There are some things you can't fix.
tkEmHlH.gif

They are inherently disposable as a game. The license and marketing and "acquisition" is most important. Any actual quality or game design is a distant afterthought.

Skynet is evolving before our very eyes. It won't kill us because it worries about trying to save humanity or out of self preservation. It will wipe us out because of the Kardashians.

stuminus3

Banned
Why was Katy's game unsuccessful?
The recording industry had no control over it so there was nobody to make the zeitgeist care.

Kanye & Kim a rare brand that exist outside of traditional entertainment industries. They're an industry unto themselves.

Top Bottom