• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God! Nolan's Dark Knight Rises is such a terrible movie!

Kyoufu

No his statement is true, dark knight rises is significantly worse than any mcu movie by a significant margin. Only reason it was rated so high is that it's the sequel to dark knight.

Not even close, its worst than any of those.

You clearly haven't seen Thor (both of them), Avengers (both of them) or Iron Man 2, have you.

Travo

I enjoyed TDKR but honestly, it could've benefited from a smaller story or either broken into two different parts with a couple added rogue's gallery villain added in.

rgoulart

Yeah. It's awful. It's ugly, it's terribly edited together, it has bad acting and the script is poor even for summer blockbuster standards.

The only thing it has going for it is Hans Zimmer's score and Tom Hardy's Bane. Also Anne Hathaway in leather.

HotHamBoy

It's such a dreadful film.

I was so excited when I saw it in theaters and I felt like the movie was a total slog.

Decided to give it a second chance on DVD and I got about halfway through it before walking away in boredom.

That said, The movie is still better than Iron Man 2 (and 3, sorry) and Ant Man and the Thors so whatever.

RedRum

Banned
I swear it's only on GAF where the hyperbole about Nolan's movies go overboard. I honestly don't hear about how terrible is movies are anywhere else.

I swear it's only on GAF where the hyperbole about Nolan's movies go overboard. I honestly don't hear about how terrible is movies are anywhere else.

I'm convinced that the people on this site have seen exactly 3 films, if this one registers as "terrible"

Eidan

It does definitely feel GAF centric. But this is a place where most people describe even the mildest bit of disappointing entertainment as "trash" so it can probably be expected.

Ralemont

not me
Would have been a much better movie if they didn't go for the Talia twist, but other than that I loved it. It's my most rewatched of the trilogy. Bane never gets old.

theBmZ

I don't understand the hate this movie gets. It doesn't have as tight a script as Dark Knight, but I think to call it terrible is an exaggeration. I thought the fall and rise of Batman was handled well, and Tom Hardy is superb as Bane.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Watched it the other day. It's OK.

I do wonder if there aren't any movies where instead of letting Bane on the plane Carcetti/littlefinger just shot them all in the head right there.

It might not be a common opinion, but I only really enjoyed Begins out of the trilogy.
The first half of begins is great thr thir act is stupid as fuck.
Dark knight is easily the best movie of the three.
Can't blame him - This wasn't the movie he wanted to make, his narrative was destroyed with the death of Ledger, if you expect him to pull something out of his ass and still be consistent with the first two movies, good luck.
do we know what movie he wanted to make if Ledger were alive?

HotHamBoy

I don't understand the hate this movie gets. It doesn't have as tight a script as Dark Knight, but I think to call it terrible is an exaggeration. I thought the fall and rise of Batman was handled well, and Tom Hardy is superb as Bane.

Because it is aggressively stupid while also being direly serious and morose. Those two aspects of it are incompatible and it makes it a difficult watch IMO.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Good:

- Bane
- Bane's origin Story
- Catwoman
- Catwoman's batmobile pose
- The amazing Soundtrack
- Rise scene
- Ending Montage
- Batman's first appearence
- The Bat chase scene at the end
- First Batman v Bane fight sequence

Bad

- Second Batman v Bane Fight sequence
- Everything with Joseph Gordon Levitt save for the final shot
- Poor sound mix during Bane's prison speech
- Alfred's 180 for plot purposes
- Batman Speaking in his batman voice in front of people who know his real identity
- Lack of Batman in a three hour batman movie
- Using Manhattan as a backdrop for Gotham after using Chicago the first two movies

Ugly

- Batman speaking in his batman voice when no one is around
- Nolan equating looters to Occupy Wallstreet protestors. This is in a batman movie, why?
- Retroactively Ruins the ending of TDK which turned Batman into an outlaw. Now he's just a retired ex-outlaw?
- This Dialogue: You have finally come to die with your city? No, i have come to stop you.
- Talia's death scene. Nolan shoots stuff quick and dirty but ffs pay attention from time to time.

HeelPower

The Dark Knight itself wasnt that great.

Its greatly elevated by Ledger's legendary performance but its dreadfully boring otherwise.

Any scene that didnt feature the joker was forgettable.

SomTervo

I left SMH after forty minutes. I'm not going to review it and make shit up for "omg so bad lol" thread boasting.

I don't like Rises much but i think SMH is one of the best superhero movies ever, certainly the best since TDK. You left before things even got going.

HotHamBoy

interstellar is nolan's best movie

hahaha-no.gif

Nategc20

Banned
It was really lazy, which was bad because the hype leading up to the movie was natural and I believed it would've broke a record if it wasn't for the Aurora shootings.

mrkgoo

Something I'm going to add as lazy too... the title.

It's the third entry in a trilogy. I was expecting some play on batman terminology. But no. It's the second movie title repeated with another word.

I would accept it if they were all dark knight something but no. It doesn't feel like a trilogy based on the titles.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

This is the only movie of his I've seen that I don't like. It's just damn sloppy.

It's the worst Nolan Batman movie. I'd probably call it the worst Chris Nolan movie, but it is better than any DC movie since and better than any Marvel movie, period. It's only "bad" in comparison to TDK and BB, but it's still good.

Superflat

My general thought about TDKR is that it has a lot of great individual scenes and sequences but but the connective tissue and story are too weak and feel slapdash, resulting in a sloppy overall film.

I love the next level chaos that infects Gotham and the long period of time that the film covers. It gives the sense that a really epic story is happening, but the general writing and resolution left me feeling really underwhelmed. It was definitely at least in part because of the expectations coming after TDK and Inception, two of his strongest blockbusters imo. I like the ambition and scale of the film, but the substance that was supposed to give it meaning fell short.

I'd take TDKR over a few MCU films (Ironman 2, Thor 2, Captain America, Incredible Hulk off the top of my head) and pretty much all DCEU films with the sole exception of Wonder Woman.

Top Bottom