• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG News and Updates 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mimir

Thief's graphics weren't very impressive when it came out, but everything else about the game holds up incredibly well.

I think it's about time for me to replay the whole series.

Suairyu

Banned
Does Thief still hold up to today's standards.
Never surpassed. Except by Thief II.

If you've never played a game that uses its particular brand of 'organic' stealth, you might be frustrated at first. It's not Metal Gear Solid-style "avoid the enemy cone of vision". It takes lots and lots of patience and plays very slowly. But get into its rhythm and you'll find an immersive game unlike any other. Except Thief II.

epmode

It bears mentioning that while Thief may LOOK old, the sound design is still first-rate. It's well worth playing, even today.

Suairyu

Banned
And even though graphically aged, its focus on dark environments and non-ridiculous character design means it doesn't look jarring.

Does Thief still hold up to today's standards.

I replayed Thief 2 a couple years ago and enjoyed it as much as I did a decade ago.

For me, the series is the pinnacle of the golden age of PC gaming. Very few games immerse the player as well as Thief.

The level design, sound effects and voice acting, exploration elements, challenging stealth game play, and awesome cut scenes and story have to yet to be eclipsed by modern FPS games. There are very few FPS games that remain so fun to play this long after they were new.

If the graphics got updated one could release them as 2012 games and they'd be perfect.
But even with old graphics, it's aged nicely. There is something still very charming about Thief's aesthetics.

Actually my one problem with all three thief games is that there aren't enough levels where you're doing some simple thief work. It all gets too conspiracy too quickly.
I like the simple thieving but that't not my problem. My problem is that on the expert difficulty (where you get additional mission requirements) the "steal X gold" requirement gets silly.

epmode

I remember there being a few treasure bits that are tough to find but I don't remember getting 100% stuck very often. I really like how the Expert mode requires you to go over each level with a microscope. So long as you take your time, you should be OK.

I remember there being a few treasure bits that are tough to find but I don't remember getting 100% stuck very often. I really like how the Expert mode requires you to go over each level with a microscope. So long as you take your time, you should be OK.

demons souls before demons souls. kinda. a little.

The undead ruins (or church?) and the ancient underground city are the two that spring to mind where I had to scour the levels for treasure (going back and forth, looking in random corners, etc) and where the requirement felt pretty out of context. At a certain point in a few levels the treasure requirements crossed the line from challenging and organic to tedious and silly.

Any problems getting it to run on Win 7? I've heard the Thief games have had problems in the past with that, but GOG is usually really good with that. I'll wait for a few impressions.

the "steal X gold" requirement gets silly.

I can see what you're saying, you'd like the extra mission goals without having to find every single little piece of loot. (which is basically what expert difficulty asks)

I think that's why they put the loot glint in Thief 3, to make it less tedious.

I actually didn't mind trying to find it all.

cicero

Nice, I'm definitely going to see what I missed on this one (generally I avoid stealth games). Didn't realize it was on gamersgate before now, thought it would be a GOG first! Maybe if the comments in the game's forum look positive someone who had troubles with the CDs crashing might have better luck with GOG's version. I wouldn't blindly expect it, but it's promising to see windows 7 compatibility directly listed on the game page.
Since I first played Thief: The Dark Project and Thief II: The Metal Age 13+ years ago, whenever I have had any freedom in a game, without thinking I have almost always reverted to playing as the same stealth style character as I was in the Thief games as much as possible. Almost everyone I knew who played them back then has said the same thing. I hope it taints your gaming life for the good too.

epmode

Any problems getting it to run on Win 7? I've heard the Thief games have had problems in the past with that, but GOG is usually really good with that. I'll wait for a few impressions.
It runs OK right from the site but I suggest doing this for best results (Windows 7 64 bit example):

Install from GOG
Press the Start button
Type cmd into the search box
Right-click the cmd.exe that shows up in the results, choose Run as Administrator
Type 'cd c:\windows\SysWOW64' - then hit enter.
Type 'regsvr32 ir50_32.dll' - hit Enter.
Download DDFix from here: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121449
Extract the files into the GOG Thief Gold folder
Also download the Thief Gold executable from the same site and extract it to the same location (make a backup of the original, just in case)
Open cam.cfg and change 'game_screen_size' to match your desired resolution

Make sure you start Thief by right-clicking the shortcut and running as Administrator. Otherwise, the videos might not play.

Running the game this way allows you to play at high resolutions, in widescreen (optional) and improves the in-game color from 16 bit to 32 bit. It also stops the game from switching resolutions every time you go into the menu or watch a video.

Spurred on by the adventure game thread from last week or so I started playing RealMyst last night with actual focus aka I'm taking notes while I play and I gotta say... it's really easy considering the last time I played Myst was almost 20 years ago. I've unlocked almost all of the hub island (I had to check a walkthrough to get in the spaceship because the way the cursor works made it harder to click on the door, which threw me off) and beat Tree Island and Boat Island in about an hour while being forced to watch The Bachelor and it's really making me realize just how much of the game's difficulty was tied to the restricted camera. The Tree Island in particular I beat shockingly fast simply because it was so much easier to maintain an orientation with a full camera. The difference is heightened when compared to Zork Nemesis, which had a 360 camera (using the Myst step movement method), as the puzzles were designed around a more comprehensive camera and seem harder as a result.

Not looking forward to the sound maze, though.

wazoo

gog.com has a good january.

if they go on like this all year, christmas sales will be bloody. I am pretty shocked they deliver Eidos games after Eidos games this month, like there is no backlog in their other editors.

Running that steam we could get Lara Croft and Anachronox quite fast too.

It runs OK right from the site but I suggest doing this for best results (Windows 7 64 bit example):

Install from GOG
Press the Start button
Type cmd into the search box
Right-click the cmd.exe that shows up in the results, choose Run as Administrator
Type 'cd c:\windows\SysWOW64' - then hit enter.
Type 'regsvr32 ir50_32.dll' - hit Enter.
Download DDFix from here: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121449
Extract the files into the GOG Thief Gold folder
Also download the Thief Gold executable from the same site and extract it to the same location (make a backup of the original, just in case)
Open cam.cfg and change 'game_screen_size' to match your desired resolution

Make sure you start Thief by right-clicking the shortcut and running as Administrator. Otherwise, the videos might not play.

Running the game this way allows you to play at high resolutions, in widescreen (optional) and improves the in-game color from 16 bit to 32. It also stops the game from switching resolutions every time you go into the menu or watch a video.

Thanks a lot! Will do!

This announcement caused me to pull out my Thief 2 disks. Couldn't get it running on Windows 7 so I pulled out an old PC. Played it for a few hours and then the PC started crashing. Damn that game is good. After a few hours I pulled off my headphones and they were covered in sweat, talk about intense.

I'll probably grab Thief 1, but I'm really hoping that they put 2 out there soon.

sp3000

I think Thief 3 is actually a lot better than the other games. Overall it's much more polished and friendly to new players in the series. It also has one of the most scary levels ever put in a game.

My jaw dropped when I read an article on RockPaperShotgun about Thief Gold being on GoG. I thought Thief I and II, that outside of some random drive found in a duffle bag with part of the source code for both games, were a lost cause. Just...wow. I haven't even had a chance to dig into Syndicate yet.

wazoo

you can find the Thief games on sale easily.

As soon they signed Eidos, Thief was almost sure.

Gog libary is improving fast. The snowball effect is impressive.

cicero

I think Thief 3 is actually a lot better than the other games. Overall it's much more polished and friendly to new players in the series. It also has one of the most scary levels ever put in a game.
You are in the very small minority with those sentiments.

epmode

I started Syndicate, stepped into an East Coast mission, wandered around for a little, then watched a man-train of bad buys roll up and murder all four of my guys within the span of 15 seconds. Restarted and watched the same thing happen again. I don't get it.

mclem

A wild Promo appears!

For all of Februrary: Buy two (or more) (non-discounted) games, get 10% off.

If Anachronox appears today, I may well avail myself of this.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I just learned about GOG not too long ago. They have Ultima games and they apparently play in Windows 7 which is awesome! I'm going to have to seek through their site some more in the following days.

Suairyu

Banned
It's Splinter Cell. Or, rather, Splinter Cell is Thief.

It's an open environment with objectives, you have a light meter, you shoot out lights, you try not to walk on hard surfaces... it's Splinter Cell.
This is like saying Halo Wars is Starcraft.

I mean, sure, the core components are the same, but the execution is so different.

Narag

Hrm. This was a SEGA Naomi board title. Does anyone have any idea how good this PC port was? I have my suspicions that, like everything from that period, it'll be a PS2 > PC port rather than an arcade > PC port.

I bought it and it plays well, I think. Buttons in the config are PS2 buttons though so I figure that answers your PS2 > PC question.

Suairyu

Banned
I bought it and it plays well, I think. Buttons in the config are PS2 buttons though so I figure that answers your PS2 > PC question.
Fuck's sake.

I can't find any detailed information about this online either.

edit - GoG version isn't even the version that can be patched for online multiplayer. Think I might pass.

gabbo

It's Splinter Cell. Or, rather, Splinter Cell is Thief.

It's an open environment with objectives, you have a light meter, you shoot out lights, you try not to walk on hard surfaces... it's Splinter Cell.

Except they play nothing alike in actual gameplay.

mclem

New release, and we all know what is logically out today, right? Get excited, folks, it's time for ANACHRO...

Oh.

Well, they can't all be gems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom