• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG News and Updates 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ledsen

Strange that they are raising prices. Don't see that happen often with digital goods. Wonder if they need the money and believe their catalog will bring the customers In regardless of price.

This case is special because GOG used to have only two prices: $5.99 or $9.99. Interplay probably reluctantly agreed to this, but now that the pricing has opened up they're changing their minds.

Pyrrhus

Isn't Interplay like one guy in a van now? I guess he wants new hubcaps or something?

I've already got what I want from their catalog, but the sale's pretty good if you're just coming into this.

Tizoc

I have most of those Telltale games on sale, but what Point n' Click games on there are worth getting?
Is Wallace and Gromit good?

Catshade

This case is special because GOG used to have only two prices: $5.99 or $9.99. Interplay probably reluctantly agreed to this, but now that the pricing has opened up they're changing their minds.

The Fallout and MDK games are $9.99 each on Steam. Maybe they want to equalize the pricing between stores?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Planning on doing another Holiday Sale thread and just want some suggestions.

Anything particularly you guys want to see added in or good ideas? Otherwise I'm just doing the short, minimalist again.

cicero

Planning on doing another Holiday Sale thread and just want some suggestions.

Anything particularly you guys want to see added in or good ideas? Otherwise I'm just doing the short, minimalist again.

Maybe copied sections from Minsc's OP here? Would be nice for people to see which titles are exclusive/recommended, or what titles were added this year etc.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Any opinions on Shogo and Evolva? I think I'm in for Giants, Sacrifice, and Messiah and I'm trying to decide if I should add to my shopping cart.

androvsky

Any opinions on Shogo and Evolva? I think I'm in for Giants, Sacrifice, and Messiah and I'm trying to decide if I should add to my shopping cart.

I really enjoyed Shogo, and it was a mainstay deathmatch game in my brother's family for years. If you don't mind a western studio trying to make a very Japanese-style giant robot game (complete with Japanese intro song), go for it. As I recall, it got mixed reviews when it came out; the giant robot sections played very much like the on foot sections as I recall, and it really didn't do much new even back then. Had some fun missions though, and they pulled off the anime feel fairly well. It turned out better than Oni, anyway. :)

On the other hand, it's been like ten years since I've touched it, so don't go by my recommendation alone.

peakish

I really enjoyed Shogo, and it was a mainstay deathmatch game in my brother's family for years. If you don't mind a western studio trying to make a very Japanese-style giant robot game (complete with Japanese intro song), go for it. As I recall, it got mixed reviews when it came out; the giant robot sections played very much like the on foot sections as I recall, and it really didn't do much new even back then. Had some fun missions though, and they pulled off the anime feel fairly well. It turned out better than Oni, anyway. :)

On the other hand, it's been like ten years since I've touched it, so don't go by my recommendation alone.
I replayed Shogo a few years ago, it was still a good action romp. Some weapons feel great and there's an interesting health regen mechanic when on foot. I'd definitely recommend it if you're interested in a fast action game, just be prepared for a lot of stuff that's typical of late 90's FPS'es, ie. quicksave a lot.

I'm still up for a sequel, Monolith :(

Shogo is a fine game, not amazing but very indicative of shooters of that era. Somewhere between Half-life and Quake 2. It does have that anime feel but I found myself forgetting sometimes. I never played it originally, but I picked it up on GOG last Xmas and it was worth the few bucks I spent.

I might have to grab Shogo, I found my disc for it but it seems to have loads of issues playing it vanilla on Vista. Might just drop a couple of quid on the gog.com version.

I seem to remember it being very interesting.

Minsc

Gold Member
It's been a while since I've played Battlecry 2, fun at the time, but I'm not sure there's much left to get out of it today. Costume Quest comes heavily recommended from most people who've played it, too bad it missed halloween by a few weeks though.

Lain

I grabbed some of the Interplay games, despite still owning a few (like Shogo, I still have the box and all). Now to find time to play them.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Nice, Shadow Warrior includes the two add-ons Twin Dragon and Wanton Destruction! I did some work on those addons - the memories...

Twin Dragon by Wylde Productions

At the time Lo Wang was delivered into the world, he was not alone. Lo Wang's mother was blessed with twin baby boys. Unfortunately, due to the fact that his mother was unwed, she gave them both up for adoption. Lo Wang's new family was only able to afford to raise one child, therefore, his brother was adopted by another family. His brother, Hung Lo, was adopted and raised by the evil overlord Pu Tang.

Pu Tang was an evil man, and raised Hung Lo as a deciple of evil...
- 13 new single player levels
- 3 new death match levels
- new art
- new sounds
- new end boss

Wanton Destruction by Sunstorm Interactive

Wanton Destruction features twelve of the most eye popping levels you will ever trip through! Featuring: Chinatown, Monastery Gardens, San Francisco Trolley Yards, Chinese Restaurant, Skyscraper Under Construction, on board a 747, high tech Secret Military Base, Japanese Bullet Train, Zilla's Auto Factory, and Tokyo Rooftops. in addition, the episode contains not one, but two full size super secret levels that will have you on the edge of your seat! In addition, wev'e included three all new Wangbang-only levels as well as a capture the flag level!

Shaneus

You're starting to freak me out a bit now.
You throw enough darts at the board, eventually some have to stick ;)
BTW, this might freak you out a bit as well. Only about a month out on that too... but I also mentioned it around May as well.

Unfortunately, there's nothing that really jumps out at me from the past that isn't on there already... so my soothsaying has been temporarily put on hold.

Unless GOG feels like bringing back either some classic Microprose stuff like Airborne Ranger or their flight sims (or even the very early Railroad Tycoon/Civilization-era stuff). Or hell, maybe something will get worked out with SSI to get the AD&D games on there.

But with Wing Commander being on GOG and Chris Roberts coming back in a big way with Star Citizen, I'm gonna mention Strike Commander/Wings of Glory/Pacific Strike for being the next "how the fuck did he call that?" game/series.

Minsc

Gold Member
It feels like old times again with today's releases! Shadow Warrior's definitely a classic, and it seems there is an interesting looking front-end / port tool to enable high-res/widescreen/more.

Terminal Velocity I remember vaguely too, might have just played the demo back then, but they're both definitely interesting enough for me to buy and re-visit, Shadow Warrior looking a bit more fun today to me though.

Nice that they also both come with the soundtrack, so hopefully there's an easy way to get the CD-music working with the Shadow Warrior tool, if that was the ideal way to play it.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I have been using SWP to play Shadow Warrior for some time now. It is good shit.

Check it: http://i.minus.com/i5Bomvvr5ArEP.jpg

Nice that they also both come with the soundtrack, so hopefully there's an easy way to get the CD-music working with the Shadow Warrior tool, if that was the ideal way to play it.
The CD music is midi, so if you use bassmidi and some decent soundfonts it's just as good.

This is the first GOG release that's actually making me curse how my separate bank account for video games and such is presently underwater, thanks to preordering the Wii U in full. :I

On the plus side, I've got plenty of time to catch up on all the other games I've gotten from GOG. Treasure Adventure Game might not have been one that cost me any money, but I'm finding it to be remarkably charming.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Holy christ, Shadow Warrior!? I never thought I'd see the day! BOUGHT!

Minsc

Gold Member
This is megaton.

When looking to see if these were sold elsewhere, I was surprised to find out I could have bought both of those games and many others at any time digitally via 3d Realms directly (DRM free too I'd assume, being DOS games). It's much nicer not having to setup a DOSBox frontend yourself though (or not, in the case of Shadow Warrior with SWP, but you do at least get an extra expansion buying from GOG), and not paying re-download fees and the other things you'd expect that the 3D Realms store lacks.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Shadow Warrior Watch Wang Wash Wang blah blah blah who gives a fuck

Terminal Velocity. Yo. I played the shit out of the shareware episode as a kid. If I had money, I totally would've bought it.

jb1234

I played Terminal Velocity as a kid but looking at the pictures, holy CRAP has that game aged terribly. Doom looks better!

Shaneus

Yeah, I didn't mind Shadow Warrior as a kid, but I *loved* Terminal Velocity. And Fury3. And Hellbender (that came with my MS Sidewinder 3D Pro joystick).

Dave Long

Banned
Time is running out on the Interplay deal. 14.5 hours now. I picked up Freespace 2 and Descent 3 even though I own both on discs. Just easier that way...

RedSwirl

Oh shit, Terminal Velocity. I never got to play that game but was a big fan of Fury3 and Hellbender. How is this game in comparison?

As for how it plays on modern computers, I think I've played Fury3 on my current computer (Windows Vista) unaltered from its original CD-ROM and it played well enough for me. I have a really high tolerance for shitty 90's 3D graphics though.

Any chance of Microsoft letting Fury3 and Hellbender go up on GOG?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Oh shit, Terminal Velocity. I never got to play that game but was a big fan of Fury3 and Hellbender. How is this game in comparison?

As for how it plays on modern computers, I think I've played Fury3 on my current computer (Windows Vista) unaltered from its original CD-ROM and it played well enough for me. I have a really high tolerance for shitty 90's 3D graphics though.

At the time, I remember Terminal Velocity being my favorite of the three. Fury3 was a total copycat.

peakish

Man I was just wondering if Terminal Velocity was or wasn't the cool trial I had on a demo disc that came with my family's first computer. Fury 3 was the name, thanks. Awesome music.

Edit: Game seems surprisingly simplistic in hindsight :(

Edit 2: So both games were actually made by the same developer, using the same engine and released in the same year according to Wikipedia? Heh. No wonder things look confusingly similar.

USSR Invades! War & Strategy Games 60% Off @ GOG.com
  • King's Bounty: The Legend
  • UFO: Afterlight
  • UFO: Aftermath
  • UFO: Aftershock
  • Fantasy Wars
  • Cryostasis
  • IL-2 Sturmovik™: 1946
  • S2: Silent Storm Gold Edition
  • Blitzkrieg Anthology
  • Blitzkrieg 2 Anthology
  • Etherlords
  • Cossacks Anthology
  • American Conquest + Fight Back
  • Heroes of Annihilated Empires
  • Perimeter
  • Soldiers: Heroes of World War II

How are the Blitzkrieg games? Is it traditional real-time strategy or something else?

BJWanlund

On their "This Week in GOG" YouTube episode this week, they gave us a hint about next week's classic release: "Grow your spheres of influence through guile, trading or just plain exploiting those who don't know any better..."

Any guesses??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom