• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG News and Updates 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabbo

So the enigmatic hint is probably hinting at RedLine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redline_(1999_video_game)

I vaguely remember seeing this game mentioned on the internet, or maybe I read about it in a magazine.

Wow, I was reading more about Atari and apparently they only have ten employees left after the bankruptcy.

Where do they normally leave these hints? Redline is actually a bit of vehicular/shooter fun, if unoriginal, and by now, ugly as sin. Oh, and TERRIBLE voice acting.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Where do they normally leave these hints? Redline is actually a bit of vehicular/shooter fun, if unoriginal, and by now, ugly as sin. Oh, and TERRIBLE voice acting.

If I remember correctly, that's the game that starts off with the speech:

"Ladies and gentlemen of Stadium City: my name is Rant, of the Red-Sixers. We have assumed control. We'll be going door to door, collecting citizens and EATING THEM. If you don't like it, you can take it up with me, here at the radio station."

And then he sings kumbaya or some shit.

(that was honestly from memory - I played that demo a ton.)

Anyway, the game itself is okay-ish. The driving is kinda fun, but the shooting is limp. Music was pretty decent, though. Eh, but I'm probably not buying it.

gabbo

If I remember correctly, that's the game that starts off with the speech:

"Ladies and gentlemen of Stadium City: my name is Rant, of the Red-Sixers. We have assumed control. We'll be going door to door, collecting citizens and EATING THEM. If you don't like it, you can take it up with me, here at the radio station."

And then he sings kumbaya or some shit.

(that was honestly from memory - I played that demo a ton.)

Anyway, the game itself is okay-ish. The driving is kinda fun, but the shooting is limp. Music was pretty decent, though. Eh, but I'm probably not buying it.

You're so close, yet it still doesn't do it's terribleness justice.
http://youtu.be/WsMjOwEanZc

It's post-half life average, braindead shooter, but with vehicular combat. When it works, it's rather fun, but that's not all the time.

Danny Dudekisser

Yeah, I mean, I'm kinda glad that it's going to be on GOG, just because it's kind of an interesting representation of Xtreme gaming that tries way too hard. But I'd much rather play Shogo or Sin or something.

But God, that voice acting. It's as good as I remember.

Danny Dudekisser

Rainy day, so I figured I'd start an RPG... since I've been meaning to do that for a while. I chose NWN2. I... don't think I get it. I've only played a few hours, but holy shit is the combat booooooooooorrrrrrrrrriiiiiiinnnnnnnggggg. Boring. Your dude just stands there like a dunce waiting for a dice roll to come up, and when it does, the limp attack animations suck any possible excitement out of it. I'm sure there's plenty of depth to it, which I'm not privy to since I've never played D&D or spent a significant amount of time with one of the PC games, but man. If all you wanna do is kill some weak enemy, it's painful to sit there and wait for it to play out.

Come to think of it, I had the same issue with Planescape Torment (which at least had a good story to back it up) and Icewind Dale back when I played maybe 5-6 hours of those...

That, and the aesthetics were putting me to sleep. Dull environments, ugly characters, decent, if somewhat generic fantasy music... Snoresville.

Maybe D&D games just aren't for me. I miss the immediacy of Diablo-style games and The Witcher.

I'm probably going to throw in the towel and replay Divine Divinity instead, seeing as how it's been 10 years since I last ran through that one.

Danny Dudekisser

You should try Baldur's Gate. If that doesn't work for you then yeah, D&D just isn't your thing. It can be tedious but it also pays off in depth. BG is way more fun to play than NWN2 though.

I wouldn't stop you from playing Divine Divinity! Great game.

Yeah... Baldur's Gate is on my list to try someday. Clearly, not today, though.

Did a lot of people find NWN2's gameplay to be a chore, though? I'm not sure how representative of D&D games it is, but yeah, it was just too tedious for me.

Well anyway, I started DD and already, I'm having a great time. It's video game comfort food for me, and the graphics still look great.

Minsc

Gold Member
Today's new release is....BlazBlue?! Isn't this a GFWL title?

Not any more I guess! And I had a good time with this game on my 360, I'd say it's worth getting if you enjoy fighters with a fun single player mode. I liked it more than the new Mortal Kombat for reference, and people generally point to that for a good single player fighter.

I felt Calamity Trigger and it's sequel (which is a bit friendlier) Continuum Shift Extend both had some great characters and voice acting surprisingly. The game got a few real laughs out of me, and though at times a little tedious (I'd recommend a following a guide for getting all the paths since you have to get the wrong paths as well as proper paths to unlock to 100%), it was a fun ride. Also surprisingly long, much more so than MK, I'd put it around 25 hours of story. Again, the voice acting was a real pleasant surprise, Bang, Noel, and various others take the spotlight, the cast is a surprisingly humorous group.

If you're looking for a fighter to play through single player, look no further. CSE picks up right after CT, so hopefully that comes out eventually as well for the sake of the story, or you'll be playing the other game on a PS360 when you finish this one.

mclem

Briefly thought "But didn't they just remove that"? Turns out I was confusing it with Guilty Gear. Not much of a fighter person, me!

Still, nicely timed to fill in the gap in their lineup.

Danny Dudekisser

Not really worth bothering with BlazBlue CT at this point, aside from the story mode. Anyone know how the PC port was? I assume it was the best version of the game, but you never know.

Minsc

Gold Member
Not really worth bothering with BlazBlue CT at this point, aside from the story mode. Anyone know how the PC port was? I assume it was the best version of the game, but you never know.

Since it uses sprites, not 3D, I don't think there's really a "best version." Though I guess the backgrounds are 3D, but it was completely fine on the 360 for me, I don't think there's anything the PC would do better, but I'd be as curious as you if it were the case.

Again, the story mode in Blazblue is not mere side-content you breeze through in a night or two like with Mortal Kombat. It's a decent/large 25-hour commitment that is also very enjoyable (or was for me), best paced out over a dozen+ nights, as it can otherwise be a little repetitious due to the nature of the content.

Wow, I thought this vote thing was for the set of games you want discounted, but they all get discounted it seems. It's just the winner gets the bigger discount.

Red Faction for me tomorrow I think!

Danny Dudekisser

Again, the story mode in Blazblue is not mere side-content you breeze through in a night or two like with Mortal Kombat. It's a decent/large 25-hour commitment that is also very enjoyable (or was for me), best paced out over a dozen+ nights, as it can otherwise be a little repetitious due to the nature of the content.

Oh, I know. I remember playing my review copy of BB a few weeks before the original came out, and I started up the story mode thinking it'd just be some quick diversion... and I was kinda stunned when I realized how fully realized that whole thing is.

Edit: Actually, talking about it kinda makes me want to nab this version just to play through story mode again. Well, after I look into how this port compares to the others.

Persona7

Banned
I never did really get into BlazBlue but I always did like the visual style. I played the first game for maybe 10 minutes and that is the extent of my exposure to this series. I am going to definitely purchase this.

As for the publisher I am pretty sure they were the ones who published Re-Volt and I think the two guilty gear games on GOG? All three were pulled though, sadly.

petran79

Banned
I remember buying a CD key for 10 $ few years back.
but only a few Xbox players were available and they were faithfull to the franchise and very good too, knowing all the combos

will not bother again.

Minsc

Gold Member
True, good to point out, but I will add all three versions spin their own web for the campaign mode, and the story isn't one I'd suggest jumping in to with the third game either. I actually enjoyed this (the first) Blazblue better than the second as far as the story goes. Both had their moments, but the first one had more of them. Maybe also because it was "new" for me too - the pain and agony of the voice actors changing too in the second game sucked too :(.

mclem

As scheduled, Moebius is out.

Time to start hunting for my Kickstarter access stuff.

Unreal won the battle, so 75% off Unreal Gold, Unreal II, Unreal Tournament; 60% off Chaser, Red Faction, Red Faction II

Today's battle of the games seems to be approximately citybuilders vs 4X Strategy?

In the red corner: Caesar III, Pharoah + Cleopatra, Zeus + Poseidon,
In the blue corner: Empire Earth, Empire Earth II, Empire Earth III

kiyomi

I hope everyone votes for the Pharaoh/Caesar selection of games. I'd love a good reason to pick up Pharaoh, I had it in 2000 and never played as much as I wanted to, but it was great.

mclem

I hope everyone votes for the Pharaoh/Caesar selection of games. I'd love a good reason to pick up Pharaoh, I had it in 2000 and never played as much as I wanted to, but it was great.

To be fair, given we're talking of a difference of 15% discount between the winners and losers, I suspect you'll pick the game up tomorrow no matter what :)

Danny Dudekisser

Kinda lame that today's new game is the thing that's been up for preorder for a while instead of a surprise or something... even lamer if it's being followed up by Redline tomorrow.

Not lame is that I'll finally be picking up Unreal 1. What a great game that was. I think it came with the Monster 3D IIs I put in my computer back then, but anyway, it wsa the first completely mind-blowing shooter I'd played. The visuals were amazing, the game ran at 60fps before I even knew what that was, and it was just fun as hell.

Not sure if I should nab the others, as well. I remember thinking Unreal 2 was alright back in the day, and while I loved UT, I dunno if it's worth having around if I already have 2k4. Maybe it is?

Apart from that.... I played a shitload of Divine Divinity yesterday. It's funny how 10 years have passed since I last played it, and I still feel right at home in that game. It's also still my favorite CRPG ever.

Cheddahz

Banned
I was waiting to get paid, so I could grab RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 and the price of it went up on me...again. I'll own the game (one of these days)

Not really interested in today's selection. To be fair, I've never played any Unreal Tournament games. Are they multiplayer only or do they have a single player portion?

I do hope everyone votes for the Caesar, Pharaoh and Zeus selection. Caesar III... those memories... ;_;

1996 - 2000: The PC strategy game golden years

gabbo

Not really interested in today's selection. To be fair, I've never played any Unreal Tournament games. Are they multiplayer only or do they have a single player portion?

I do hope everyone votes for the Caesar, Pharaoh and Zeus selection. Caesar III... those memories... ;_;

1996 - 2000: The PC strategy game golden years

The Unreal Tournament games have botmatch single player, and Unreal/Unreal2 are single player shooters (1>2), and all of them have plenty of mods *(and mutators in UT's case) to keep it going well beyond what's in the intial game.

mclem

48.6% versus 51.4%, that one was quite close (500 votes in it!). Most of you will be pleased to hear the citybuilders won.

Indies today: Approximately looks to be tower defense versus platformers.

Tower Defense:
Anomaly: Warzone Earth
Defender's Quest
Pixeljunk Monsters HD

Platformers:
Ethan: Meteor Hunter
Guacamelee Gold
Mr Bree +

muddream

Banned

The campaigns are basically multiplayer matches with bots, but the AI is very humanlike and there's a lot of variety in terms of maps/game modes.

mclem

Very strong implications on Facebook that Night Dive's next project is Humongous Entertainment's back catalogue; ND have been posting Pyjama Sam and Spy Fox fanart, and Humongous themselves are running a countdown.

A pleasant change if it is some kid-focussed stuff, and those are pretty great examples of child-friendly adventures.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I opted to not get the Unreal games, though. Spinning too many other plates right now.

I am wondering if I should opt for the Pharaoh and Zeus games, though. I'm definitely getting Caesar III since that's a classic from back in the day which I loved, but I'm curious about the other two.

Also curious about the Empire Earths since I missed those games too. They worth it? What's the gameplay like?

mclem

Oh hell, today's battle is a toughie.

Divinity Games vs. Gothic Games.

(Divinity consisting of Divine, Beyond and II; Gothic consisting of 2, 3 and Forsaken Gods)

The tower defense team won yesterday's vote.

mclem

Very strong implications on Facebook that Night Dive's next project is Humongous Entertainment's back catalogue; ND have been posting Pyjama Sam and Spy Fox fanart, and Humongous themselves are running a countdown.

A pleasant change if it is some kid-focussed stuff, and those are pretty great examples of child-friendly adventures.

Second time around I've made assumptions about Night Dive and it's turned out to be for a Steam release rather than GoG. Still, I imagine there's perhaps some crossover of interest for this thread!

Not interested in today's selection. I'm not a fan of tower defence and have no clue what the "losing" side's games are.

I did scoop up all the Sierra city-builder series yesterday (Caesar III, Pharaoh, and Zeus), along with the first Empire Earth.

Really interested in tomorrow's possible winners, though. Are the Divinity games any good? I am eyeing up Divinity II.

epmode

Really interested in tomorrow's possible winners, though. Are the Divinity games any good? I am eyeing up Divinity II.

Beyond Divinity is awful but the other two are very much worth playing. Incidentally, Divinity: Original Sin is in beta and it has a good shot of being Larian's best game.

mclem

Beyond Divinity is awful but the other two are very much worth playing. Incidentally, Divinity: Original Sin is in beta and it has a good shot of being Larian's best game.

Both groups have one duffer in them, basically. Beyond Divinity / Forsaken Gods. Either way, in both groups, the other two are good to great (although I'm told Gothic 3 really needs the community patch to shine)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom