• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Going to a restaurant alone. Has anyone done it?

I am planning a trip to London in November to see The Book Of Mormon.

I will be going myself as my friends can't go and my partner will be looking after our daughter.
I will be travelling by bus and staying one night and it will be fairly cheap all round.

Only problem is before the show or after I will be having dinner. I don't fancy going to McDonald's, but I was wondering as anyone eaten at a restaurant on their own? How was it? Were you embarrassed

Kamaji

I do it all the time. It's extremely common (especially in a city like London with a lot of business travelers) and no one will bat an eye.

disco

It's London - everyone's too busy earning enough money to rent a boxroom to have a relationship, it's common to eat alone in restaurants here.

EDIT: alternatively find a pal on this friendly app called 'Grindr'.

kuYuri

Yes, I’ve done it plenty of times and it’s fine. No one gives a fuck that you eat alone at a restaurant OP.

Zaru

Knowing that there are grown men with a family out there that need advice on the novel experience of going to a restaurant alone really makes me feel better about myself

Rootbeer

Banned
Don't get hung up over it. Think about the countless thousands of people who travel regularly for work. They have to eat when they are out on business don't they? Often they are eating alone. Eating alone is not something to feel shame about and I'll never understand why it gets some people so much.

People by and large aren't judging you when you are doing things alone (eating, seeing a movie, whatever). The tiny fraction that do are small, pathetic people and their opinions aren't worth shit.

Jarnet87

hqdefault.jpg

Just start talking to yourself Larry David style.

I dont get why people get hung up on this. When I see a person eating alone I dont give a shit, and if Im eating alone I dont care about it.

I feel weird eating alone at a McDonald's so I've never done it at an actual restaurant. I end up feeling sorry for people if I see them eating a whole meal on their own, I always think they're lonely. I know that's silly and not true, it's just a personal hangup of mine.

Yeah, I go to sushi alone all the time and obviously when I'm traveling alone. Sometimes you can meet people. Anyone judging is a fucking moron and probably has a shitty life themselves.

everybody will stand up and point at you and laugh. nobody there will ever forget it, they will tell their grandkids about the time they saw a person eating alone in a restaurant.

Yes, it's nothing unusual. Usually it's a good time to strike a conversation with the owner of the restaurant if it's not a chain restaurant. Most owners are curious why a traveler would even go to their restaurant, how did you find it, etc.

HariKari

Other people don't notice or care as much as you think they do OP.

Go see movies alone too sometime, absolutely fantastic.

BumRush

I travel for work a decent amount, and almost always by myself.

While it's sometimes nice to bring dinner back to the hotel I have no issue eating at a restaurant alone. Restaurants, movie theaters, it doesn't matter. No one cares you're alone.

milanbaros

Member?
It isn't an issue. How many people do you think go to London every year on business and eat alone? In London people are too wrapped up in their own lives to give a single fuck about you.

JoeNut

I am planning a trip to London in November to see The Book Of Mormon.

I will be going myself as my friends can't go and my partner will be looking after our daughter.
I will be travelling by bus and staying one night and it will be fairly cheap all round.

Only problem is before the show or after I will be having dinner. I don't fancy going to McDonald's, but I was wondering as anyone eaten at a restaurant on their own? How was it? Were you embarrassed

why would you be embarrassed? i think this highlights your own issues and you need to have a word with yourself.

Doc_Drop

I feel weird eating alone at a McDonald's so I've never done it at an actual restaurant. I end up feeling sorry for people if I see them eating a whole meal on their own, I always think they're lonely. I know that's silly and not true, it's just a personal hangup of mine.
Not being comfortable being alone almost seems more lonely to me...you do you but you may want to get through that mindset

It is fine op. I used to travel the uk a lot in my job, used to eat at restaurants alone all the time. I would usually just stick my headphones In and listen to podcasts.

oneils

Lol, dude. Relax. 75% of my time in a restaurant is alone. You sit down, order something, and eat it. No embarrassment. Be polite to the wait staff.

If you get bored, bring a newspaper or something.

Goodlife

I work away, a lot, which means living in hotels, a lot, which means meals out on my own, a lot.

It's fine, I quite enjoy it.... the worse bit is the initial "can I have a table for 1 please" and the slight look of pitty you get

AllGamer

Sure. No one cares. People often eat alone in restaurants. Hell, I watched Blade Runner 2049 alone because none of my friends want to see the movie. When they don't have time, I go to a bar/pub etc. alone to have a few drinks. It's also a great opportunity to meet some new people. On Friday, I'm going to a hockey game alone because my friends only like football.

sfedai0

Banned
I dont get when people make threads about eating alone or going to a public venue alone. Do they really care about what strangers think? And its been said but needs to be reiterated......NO ONE CARES.

Top Bottom