• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gone Home Coming to Consoles, Next Game won't be Gone Home 2

StuBurns

Banned
The hate for Gone Home really is bizarre to me. I'm even had non-gamer friends try it and gotten similar responses, albeit far more muted.
It's a pretty awful game, it attempts to be this grounded, meaningful emotional tale, but it's set to the backdrop of the worst adventure game imaginable.

I have no issue with 'experiential' games at all, Dear Esther is stunning, but Gone Home is weak.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'll buy this on PS4. Keep em coming indies, us consolers love ya.

pa22word

If its unity there's no reason to not be on wiiu...

Not according to Steve Gaynor, the director on the project.

The game requires 4 GBs of RAM in order to play because it immediately loads the entire game into memory on the first load with no streaming. The wii u only has 1 GB of ram allocated to games, thus Gone Home would not be possible on the Wii U without completely re-engineering the game to work with a fucking quarter of the RAM it needs. In case your math skills aren't good, that means it ain't happening guys.

I'll consider buying it again if it's cheap on a sale sometime. Loved the game but not exactly meant for multiple replays.

If they keep the quality of the voice acting up I'm all for more stuff from them. That's what really held my attention and got me invested into the story.

StuBurns

Banned
Not according to Steve Gaynor, the director on the project.

The game requires 4 GBs of RAM in order to play because it immediately loads the entire game into memory on the first load with no streaming. The wii u only has 1 GB of ram allocated to games, thus Gone Home would not be possible on the Wii U without completely re-engineering the game to work with a fucking quarter of the RAM it needs. In case your math skills aren't good, that means it ain't happening guys.
Considering the Steam minimum requirements say 2GB, I'm going to say no.

Amir0x

Banned
Thank God, no reason for a sequel. They told the story they needed to. Don't ruin a good thing :D

GamingisDead said:
If this becomes a plus game i'm not resubbing.

Why would it becoming a plus game force you to stop subscribing? @_o

pa22word

Considering the Steam minimum requirements say 2GB, I'm going to say no.

Just going off an interview he gave about the tech a while back. I'll dig it up if I can find it.

EDIT: Ah, it appears it was in fact 2.5GBs (2GBs general and 512 VRAM) not 4. Still well above what the Wii U can muster up, though.

"There's sound streaming and some texture loading on the fly, but for the most part, we built the game in such a way that we were relying on a device that has 2GB of onboard RAM, plus 512MB of video RAM dedicated at the very least.

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/ne...ed-for-oculus-rift-consoles-a-good-match.html

Kuro

The hate for Gone Home really is bizarre to me. I'm even had non-gamer friends try it and gotten similar responses, albeit far more muted.

Its a game that got a ton of praise for narrating a diary or 2 with voice actors as you wander around a house all while being $15. It deserves the hate. I find the praise for this game more bizarre.

LuchaShaq

Banned
More interested in their next project.

Gone home is a two paragraph story plus walking if you don't have massive 90s nostalgia.

pa22word

Yep, they can make another game in this style (hopefully a better one), it just shouldn't be a sequel to Gone Home.

Seems a little doubtful. Based on what Gaynor has said the only reason Gone Home was the way it was designed was because of budget limitations. Instead of designing a halfbaked Minerva's Den 2 they decided to work around their budgets and design something that while still compelling to play, was within their money range. Obviously budget probably won't be that big of a deal this time around considering how well the game did.

DrkSage

The next game can't be "Gone home 2" because you're already home. It has to be "Gone fishing".
happy-ba-dum-tss.png

Get it :D... No... Tough crowd...

dreamfall

I love Gone Home. It was right up there for my Game of the year contender. I'll play it again, and love it. Sweet, sweet sadness - it was pretty ineffable.

JC Lately

Yeah, don’t think I’ll be double-dipping. Gone Home was one of those games that I initially liked as I was playing it and right after I finished it, but when I started thinking about it afterwards, the cracks really start to show. Its kinds funny though: For all the crying from the Arty Mc Indiegames out there about how people who don’t like Gone Home should go crawling back to their dudebro shooters, if find it interesting that Gone Home (for me) actually had a lot in common with Bioshock Infinite, in that ‘Hey that was cool until I start thinking about it for any length of time, then it kinds of fall apart’ sensation.

But hey, WTF do I know? My 2013 GOTY was a tie between Hate Plus and Mario 3D World.

It's got some issues with how the story's presented, but overall I really liked Gone Home. I'm not surprised at how polarizing the game is, though. I think there's a certain niche of people in their 30s that this game really resonates with. It's hard to say whether I'd recommend the game or not when it comes to consoles...depends on the price, etc.

Amir0x

Banned
Yep, they can make another game in this style (hopefully a better one), it just shouldn't be a sequel to Gone Home.

I feel like the actual concept is fun though. It's not so much like a game in the traditional sense, but I like the idea of being put in a location that is 'lived-in' and being left to my own devices to explore and figure out the narrative, tie together pieces, do a little detective work.

There was also something I found incredibly intimate, even unsettling, about the way I was pouring through these draws of this family that wasn't even related to me. I never got that feeling in a game before, but it was as if I was eavesdropping on a conversation I never should have heard.

I feel like the actual concept is fun though. It's not so much like a game in the traditional sense, but I like the idea of being put in a location that is 'lived-in' and being left to my own devices to explore and figure out the narrative, tie together pieces, do a little detective work.

There was also something I found incredibly intimate, even unsettling, about the way I was pouring through these draws of this family that wasn't even related to me. I never got that feeling in a game before, but it was as if I was eavesdropping on a conversation I never should have heard.

I think the style is fine and has plenty of potential, you just need really good writing to pull it off, and Gone Home's writing wasn't particularly good.

Top Bottom