• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good free database program?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I enjoy doing a fair bit of statistics crunching. You may have seen some of my output in such places as NPD threads, arguments about the electoral college, or Gladys the Groovy Mule.

I've mostly been doing this in the OpenOffice.org Spreadsheet program, but when I start getting into hundreds of rows or columns things get a bit harder to keep track of. Having recently lost my latest version of my NPD spreadsheet with newly added DS calculation columns, this seems a decent time to find a better way.

I used SQL in school a few years back and think I could get back into that easily, but my searches have either resulted in things that seem to be more than I need (databases for running web sites) or less than I need (database libraries not actually implemented into programs).

Recommendations?

CrunchyB

I'd just go with a SQL implementaion. That way you could always export your data without too much of a hassle.

MySQL already seems like overkill, but the userbase is huge which is a very big plus.Coding a simple database app with MySQL and PHP or MSVisual / Borland shoudl be a piece of cake.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
It's also worth pointing out that there's a DB implementation of sorts in the release candidates for the new version of OpenOffice - might be worth checking that out if you're looking for something lighter than MySQL/PostgreSQL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom