• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good games you’ve randomly dropped

Certinty

I was just thinking how I got half way through Hogwarts Legacy last year and had a great time with it.

Then I just randomly stopped playing it and never had the urge to jump back into it.

Most of the games I drop are due to them being boring, not having the time, them dragging out and stuff like that.

But in a case like this it’s a one off where my interest died and I couldn’t even tell you why.

What about for you guys?

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Last edited:

Ribi

Witcher 3. Made it to the last mission and just haven't gone back because I got sidetracked with all the content then the dlc dropped and it's a lot.

Skyrim, modded tf out of it then bought an SSD and it's too much effort to get all the mods installed again.

Cyberpunk I waited for the updates and never jumped back in.

Fallout 4 just felt ok and I need time to play it.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Hogwarts, same for me. Gave up on Series S, and now Switch too. Could have blasted through it in a couple of days in my teenage years but it doesn’t lend itself well to short bursts in my opinion.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Alan Wake 2, instantly hated it. Usually, I can understand when a game is great even though I don't like it, but this is one of the rare occasions where it's real hard..

Also Spider Man and Horizon, I just don't get it at all.

Last edited:

zeomax

Alan Wake 2. Got confused by the story and all the action shooting parts are just bad. I wish Remedy would remove the action stuff and turn this game into a walking simulator.
Resident Evil 2 Remake. Dropped the PS4 version because shooting at zombies was such an unsatisfying experience compared to the original PSX version and Mr. X was very annoying. Tried the PC Gamepass version a couple of days ago and still nope.

Last edited:

saintjules

HFW and GOW R. I plan to go back, but they take up a lot of time to get completed.

And then here I am thinking about Infinite Wealth and P3 Reload.....

Reactions: Isa

squarealex

H:ZD
GOW (2018)
Ghost of Tsushima
Resident Evil 4 (2023) (For real, just hate this remake)
Gran Turismo 7
Elden Ring
Alien Isolation
DeathLoop
Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart
Returnal
Control (big Meh)

It's just me, just hate state of gaming and myself.

Fredrik

Hogwarts Legacy
Horizon Forbidden West
Gears 5 Hivebusters
Baldur’s Gate 3
Zelda TOTK
Gran Turismo 7
Witcher 3
and many many more

I sometimes go back and finish them later, it all depends on what else comes along. Elden Ring was brutal for any other game released in 2022, I played it throughout the whole year. Still playing it.

Last edited:

LostDonkey

I was loving AC Valhalla. The world, the characters, the graphics etc

Absolutely great

But the micro management when you're trying to do a raid or some other shit. And the base building really turned me off.

I hate that shit. I just want to play my character, in my story. I don't want to be responsible for a barracks and the actions of other people.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
H:ZD
GOW (2018)
Ghost of Tsushima
Resident Evil 4 (2023) (For real, just hate this remake)
Gran Turismo 7
Elden Ring
Alien Isolation
DeathLoop
Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart
Returnal
Control (big Meh)

It's just me, just hate state of gaming and myself.
DeathLoop isn’t good - but to each their own I suppose if you thought it was.

Miles708

I'm at a stage where i play them for the fun and after i had a reasonable fill i drop them hard either i'm done with them or not.
I'll never finish skyrim, i'm stuck on Like a Dragon, still have to complete the last 1 or 2 areas of Sekiro, halfway though the DLC of Horizon and so on.

I don't get the urge to complete anything anymore. After either i'm reasonably satisfied or stuck, i'm abandoning them on the spot.

xrnzaaas

Snowrunner. I love the idea and I had a lot of fun trying to get out of sticky situations (for about 20-25 hours in total), but the game was just too time consuming especially with new seasons and content still coming out. Also I'm not the multitask kind of guy and I won't listen to a podcast or watch TV while playing the game.

I'm still planning to come back, maybe with a different approach of just having fun instead of trying to fully explore each map and complete each mission.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Horizon on PS5, playing it after Spiderman and Days Gone, I felt completely burnt out on what seemed quite a lot like the same thing again. Will go back to it at some point though.

SHA

Cyberpunk, a shooter with complex upgrade system as other RPGs, I get how the Witcher 3 is also complex but the environment from swinging your sword to riding a horse and meeting new friends, that was a perfect balance, you don't always need to put your hands on the dirt, that fundamental quality hasn't changed for ages, and now with cyberpunk, you literally can't rest in this game, everything in this game is a hustle, enough to keep you at bay.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Tears of the kingdom.

Amazing game, but after putting over 100 hours into it, i ended up feeling fatigued and went back to elden ring
The same thing happened to me. After months, I tried to start again and went straight to the final boss. When I struggled and couldn't succeed, I decided to get stronger and I ended up playing for another 50 hours :messenger_grinning:

Deerock71

Angry Gary Oldman GIF

The better the game, the less I want it to end. It's incredible the number of them I have that likely sit at 85/90% that I feel sad about plugging back in and finishing.

Ultra Donny

Dishonored 2 and Elden Ring is two I can think of. Dishonored 2 when you got the time traveling device and Elden Ring after 65 hours. I liked both games but feelt done and have no regrets about it.

amigastar

I've tried Witcher 3 for many times but never really finished or played it far.
Also Marvel Midnight Suns after 20 hours although i enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Persona 3, PSP.
Was 8 hours in (Which for a JRPG, I was basically in the intro...)
Was enjoying the gameplay loop a lot, and gushing over how well thought out it was.

But I felt the need to drop it, because of a doubt I had that I was missing out by playing the PSP version, not the PS2 original.

I picked the PSP version because it was accessible to me.
But I thought "I'm enjoying this so much, I better wait it out to play the original".

Weird and maybe stupid thought but, yeah...
Dropped it for "mind goblin" reasons.

Codes 208

The same thing happened to me. After months, I tried to start again and went straight to the final boss. When I struggled and couldn't succeed, I decided to get stronger and I ended up playing for another 50 hours :messenger_grinning:
It doesnt help that i put well over 500 hours into botw and totk felt very same-y, most of the time i spent was exploring the new areas but once i did that it slowly started to eat away my fatigue

And the vehicles actually became more of a detriment since it just became “how can i get from point A to B the fastest?”

Quasicat

Tears of the kingdom.

Amazing game, but after putting over 100 hours into it, i ended up feeling fatigued and went back to elden ring
I put in around 20 hours and just fell off of it. I think going over 100 hours in a game is pretty remarkable.

intbal

Kingdom Come. I picked the wrong difficulty level, and got bored after having to go around everywhere on horse. I'm thinking about returning, but it's been like 2 years.
Same situation.
I tried to go back to it and the learning curve was insurmountable.
I would have to start over from the beginning if I was ever going to play it again.

Three

RDR2. I don't know why. I played the intro then just stopped. The game looks fantastic but for some reason it's still in my backlog.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Grim Fandango, twice.

I know it's good, I just moved past those games a long time ago. Maybe if I mod it to play the walking parts at like 10x I'll finish it one day.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
SMT: Nocturne.

Put 45 hours in and just stopped. Game was fire but pretty much everywhere in the game having encounters was exhausting.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
rdr2, gears of war 5, halo infinite, gow:ragnorak. new consoles came out and I dropped rdr2 to play the new games and I stopped playing the other games to finish other games I was playing at the same time. I intend to go back and complete them, though.

EruditeHobo

Happens to me a lot, anything too long or too open world-y will be under threat of being dropped, just because life intervenes or I get a little burned out on games, or sometimes another game comes out I want to play more.

But it's not about quality or whether or not I enjoy the game, they are often really good. Just a time issue, for me.

I haven't finished RDR2, Cyberpunk, GTA5, Elden Ring, Ghosts of Tsushima.

Roberts

BG3 - but will return some day when I have a bit less stuff on my mind

Returnal - I will borrow my old PS5 from a nephew next week and might give it another try

Hogwart’s - Don’t really have the urge to return despite the fact that there is nothing really wrong with the game.

GoT - Samurai movies are my bread and butter but somehow I found it dull and lifeless. Considering so many of you love it, I might give it another try.

ER - I returned to it at least 4 times but after playing for an hour, I move to something else. Strange because I loved it when I got to around halfway through the game.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

Im with the alan wake crew, want to like it but the gqmeplay is just not as good as the first game, mario battle kingdom, surprisingly a good game, probably the best xcom clone thats out, pikmin 2 dont even know why might go back to it after xenoblade chronicles 3 though

Prodeus, Nobody Saves the World, Tinykin, Disco Elysium.

All really good games I fired up on a weekend to play a bit before moving on to something else with the intention of going back. And we all know how that turns out.

nemiroff

Gold Member
RDR2. I don't know why. I played the intro then just stopped. The game looks fantastic but for some reason it's still in my backlog.
The RDR2 "intro / tutorial" is infamously cumbersome and slow. And sure enough, the game ended up in my backlog too.. But after a couple of attempts at reigniting it, I discovered that once the intro is cleared, it becomes increasingly better and better.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
  • Persona 5 (meh)
  • Elden Ring (I was hoping it'd actually improve the frustrating parts of Dark Souls, after hearing so much praise, but no)
  • Psychonauts 2 (I can see a good game underneath, but it is soooo boring).
  • Hogwart's Legacy (I enjoyed it very much for 10 hours but then something else came along and I got busy and never picked it up again. I'll play this one though)

WorldHero

Horizon Forbidden West - too bloated
GOW Valhalla - didn’t like the repeat game loop
Demon Souls Remake - I just suck at Souls games

Zephir

Uncharted
I was doing a marathon playing the whole saga, with The Last of Us in the middle, but I was getting progressively more bored and angry as the game(s) actively refused to let me stealth, even spawning more guys behind me just to adjust the whole zone... By the time I started the third one, I called out.

Then I started the Tomb Raider trilogy and I literally forgot Nathan Drake or Joel ever existed.

I mean, they're good games, but I think I like the Survivor Lara games more

xrnzaaas

Uncharted
I was doing a marathon playing the whole saga, with The Last of Us in the middle, but I was getting progressively more bored and angry as the game(s) actively refused to let me stealth, even spawning more guys behind me just to adjust the whole zone... By the time I started the third one, I called out.

Then I started the Tomb Raider trilogy and I literally forgot Nathan Drake or Joel ever existed.

I mean, they're good games, but I think I like the Survivor Lara games more
I've tried to replay the latest TR trilogy recently. 2013 reboot - good, Rise - great, Shadow - oof. Maybe it's the fatigue from dealing with roughly the same gameplay, but I think it's just not that good. Plus Lara not shutting up was getting me more and more angry.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

God of War 2018 edition, never played any of them ever before, thought I would check out what the fuss was about, apart from the pretty graphics etc, I didn't find the story to be that engaging, much less the combat, and after a long while I traded it in....Metal Gear 5 just felt too barren to me, could have had the potential of being a modern day Rambo 3 but wasn't...Watchdogs 2, (albeit on Gamepass) felt the first part of the game too frustrating to get through...even the 1st Watchdogs I regret purchasing...

kiphalfton

FFVII Remake.

I don't like the combat. Still too slow paced and doesn't really feel like you're in control of attacks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom