• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good god, what did IGN do to this review?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darklord

Banned
US review: 2.0 http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/936/936295p1.html

UK review: 9.1 http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/930/930213p2.html
:lol

How on earth did they let the US one pass? He's complaining a sim managing game isn't like Fifa 09.
He complains about non-fans won't like it: No shit! It's not for casual players it's for hardcore soccer fans.

It would be like me going "I don't like Halo Wars. Yes, the depth of management in this game is impressive. But, it’s not impressive enough to make up for the fact that you aren’t actually playing as Master Chief in a first person view"

I'm not even into soccer but god damn that's pathetic.

Actually, I think it's good there's two perspectives with the two reviews here. As someone who is a casual fan of Football, I've tried Manager 2009 and it's doing absolutely nothing for me.

So, I gave it to a football fan, who enjoyed Footy Manager 2003 (or something like that) who said it was bollocks.

facepalm_implied.jpg

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
HAAA :lol came here expecting more whining about IGN's definition of "Gaming Journalism".

This is actually pretty amusing. :lol :lol

Durante

Next weeks:
- Lifelong Hearts of Iron player's perspective on DoDonPachi! ("I could not identify my armies between all the bullets")
- Unreal Tournament pro reviews Persona 4! ("lacks deathmatch mode")
- Top bridgebuilder gamer gets hands-on with Killzone 2! ("even when I destroyed part of the pillar the structure still held up, that's bad physics")

Darklord

Banned
JonathanEx said:
Actually, I think it's good there's two perspectives with the two reviews here. As someone who is a casual fan of Football, I've tried Manager 2009 and it's doing absolutely nothing for me.

So, I gave it to a football fan, who enjoyed Footy Manager 2003 (or something like that) who said it was bollocks.

That might be but do you think it sucks because it isn't like another genera all together? That's what the reviewers saying. He should look at it from the perspective of the people it's aiming at. He should praise it's depth and tons of teams and real players. Not go "It's too overwhelming with lots of teams!!".

Darklord said:
That might be but do you think it sucks because it isn't like another genera all together? That's what the reviewers saying. He should look at it from the perspective of the people it's aiming at. He should praise it's depth and tons of teams and real players. Not go "It's too overwhelming with lots of teams!!".
Which is why it's good they've got the contrasting IGN UK review - you can't JUST write for the people who like the game already.

Shalashaska said:
Not when one perspective compared it to Fifa.
I said it's good that they have one, not that the IGN US writing is any good in the slightest :p

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Ganondorfo said:
Americans just prefer nba, madden above fifa, which I don't get.
What you WANT to say is americans working at IGN are too stupid to grasp the mechanics of a "soccer" manager and therefore rate them down. Great stuff.

JonathanEx said:
I said it's good that they have one, not that the IGN US writing is any good in the slightest :p
I agree with you, it just would've been better if the other perspective expected Worldwide Soccer Manager to be a managerial game.

Darklord

Banned
JonathanEx said:
Which is why it's good they've got the contrasting IGN UK review - you can't JUST write for the people who like the game already.

Then explain the game to people who might be interested. Saying things like "If you enjoy the off-field action of trading players, stats, figures and planning rather than being on the field, this is the game for you". The reviewer looked at this as a soccer game. Not as a sim.

It's like saying "Falcon 4.0 sucks because it doesn't play like Ace Combat 6". It's 2 totally different things. Just because they both have jets doesn't make them the same.
One has a 700 page manual you need to read to even get the thing off the ground. The other you take off with a single button.

Leonsito

Although the game's database of more than 350,000 real-life soccer players is certainly impressive, only the most diehard fans of the sport would be able to appreciate having such a massive pool of talent to sift through, and the casual fan would almost certainly find the task overwhelming – I did.

wat

The game's incredibly complex menu system is very difficult to navigate, even with the on-screen help box directing you through the process. In short, this game is extremely difficult to simply pick up and play. If you're unfamiliar with the franchise expect to spend a significant amount of time simply trying to figure out how to navigate the menus.

WAT

4.0 Gameplay
Yes, the depth of management in this game is impressive. But, it’s not impressive enough to make up for the fact that you aren’t actually playing soccer.

WATTTTT

I couldn’t imagine why anybody would prefer Worldwide Soccer Manager to FIFA 09 or Pro Evolution Soccer 2009.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
You've got to be fucking kidding me.

This makes 1UP's awesome review of Neverwinter Nights 2 look... well... acceptable.

I am in total awe of IGN for slamming what's left of their reputation right into the fucking ground.

Yeah I don't even understand the way they have all the countries now give reviews. Shouldn't it be like one standard for a site.

Although the game's database of more than 350,000 real-life soccer players is certainly impressive, only the most diehard fans of the sport would be able to appreciate having such a massive pool of talent to sift through, and the casual fan would almost certainly find the task overwhelming – I did.
Leonsito said:
He's got a valid point here, probably his only one. I've tried year after year to get into FM but I know almost nothing about the sport and there's just so much there to have to deal with, it is overwhelming. And I play hockey/baseball sims.

That doesn't make FM a bad game though.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Shalashaska said:
He's got a valid point here, probably his only one. I've tried year after year to get into FM but I know almost nothing about the sport and there's just so much there to have to deal with, it is overwhelming. And I play hockey/baseball sims.

The WHOLE POINT of such a manager is being as accurate as possible with the stats.

If you don't have obscure players in there, the fans will burn your building to the ground.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Reading this review I was half expecting to find this:

This game is hopelessly broken. I finally scored a goal and it didn't count because it was "offside." I hope they patch this immediately.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
US IGN : There are no bald space marine's SCORE : 2.0

wmat said:
The WHOLE POINT of such a manager is being as accurate as possible with the stats.

If you don't have obscure players in there, the fans will burn your building to the ground.
That's what he said though, for the fans, they love it. To a casual fan, it's overwhelming.

I think FM is an amazing game, I'm not debating that :lol

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Could IGN have finally topped their Godhand review in stupidity?

Yes, yes they have

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Shalashaska said:
That's what he said though, for the fans, they love it. To a casual fan, it's overwhelming.
And that's a fair point, but the conclusion that it's a bad game partly because of this is absurd!

duckroll

Wow, this is really sad. It's even sadder that the UK review bothered to actually fill 2 pages of review content, while the US reviewer was too lazy to even really fill a page. It's like he wrote as much garbage as he could that he thought might pass for text, and when it ran out he just decided to call it a day and put the score it. :/

Leonsito

Shalashaska said:

Well, if you are not a fan of football/soccer of course it will destroy you, and you can throw the game through a window, but it's a very impressive achievement for the football fans, of course it can be a bit more friendly in the interface and options, but what the game tries to do, it does it awesome, the only problem are the bugs, as always :(

Shalashaska said:
It's overwhelming as hell - and the most assistance you really get is that assistant box which is as useful as Clippy, telling you that you can't move on to the next day because there are things that need doing.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Shalashaska said:

I think the main point is that the review expects you to play soccer instead of manage it, like the other 3 games out there.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
From the first picture:
IGN said:
This is a game solely intended for hardcore soccer fans.
Where the hell have you been this last 15 years?

FM 2009, like the games previously (And the CM series before the name change) have always done a great job at capturing the sheer level or work needed to manage a football club, the 3D match view wasn't used in previous games because the fanbase outright rejected it!

If the reviewer found FM 2009 "Overwhelming" he is at fault, not the game, FM has a large fanbase, especially here in the UK and Europe and they (we) certainly are not overwhelmed by the stat barrage.

Lets just say that the difference between IGN UK and US is telling, the UK reviewer called it as it is, it looks crap (3D match view? FAIL!), it isn't that well presented, it also sounds like utter arse, but the actual game is the best management sim out there.

Way to miss the point IGN (Well, the US side anyway).

sprocket said:
PC elitism at its finest?
No, idiocy at its finest, this is like calling a JRPG shite "because its not like a WRPG", pure madness.
IGN US said:
I couldn’t imagine why anybody would prefer Worldwide Soccer Manager to FIFA 09 or Pro Evolution Soccer 2009.
Oh dear Christ...

Omikaru

Reviewer's points:

- The game has too many players.
- FIFA 09 and PES 09 are better (despite being different types of game).
- Wants to control the players on the pitch.
- Management sims should have next-gen graphics.
- Needs to be dumbed down.
- This game is bad even though I've totally missed the point.

I am actually shocked at how poor this review is!

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
How the hell does stuff like this get passed a half decent editor.

Fio

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST IGN

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST SERIOUSLY

WHAT THE HELL IS THIS DISGRACE THAT I JUST READ

This review is, BY FAR, one of the most embarassing things I've ever read on the internet, and I've wasting my time with this for more than a decade.

"I couldn’t imagine why anybody would prefer Worldwide Soccer Manager to FIFA 09 or Pro Evolution Soccer 2009."

FUCK, I can't believe I read this. That's the most embarassing thing ever written on a review. The reviewer didn't have any clue about what the game is about.

Seriously, tell that's a joke.

This is comic gold.

Edit: Its a travesty for gamers and soccer fans. I just meant the sheer ridiculous situation of this USA reviewer rating it as a 2 compared to the UK review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom