• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good Lord, Valve really shows its MS roots on this!

http://www.firingsquad.com/features/jakub_rant_3/

What a bunch of nonsense. Intenet cafes install legally owned copies of couter-strike on their computers. Their customers have to supply their own Steam User account to login (to avoid theft of the cafe accounts), and Valve wants licensing fees on top of this? Hey fatass, 2 legally purchased games for every login is your fee!

And I'm not giving Valve the benefit of the doubt here, cause months of unanswered e-mails speaks volumes in who's the more credible.

marsomega

These jerks won't care. What needs to be done is the following. At their next big event or what-not where the press is there. Someone there has to bring this topic up in a very clever way that grabs everyones' attention. Force those mofo's to respond. If they don't, its just more controversy to add to Valve and their Steam service.

Thats all you can do besides not buying their game.

Steam has really pissed me off.

For a while anytime i patch was released u couldn't play for usually 2 days since

If u wanted to playing HL u had to go online.. this has been fixed but u still have to make a steam account b4 u can play it.

Then this stupid LAN stuff.

GRR

Takuan

Haha, weak. Steam is a load of crap, it has done next to nothing to improve my Counter-Strike experience. Fuck Valve, and I'll probably pirate HL2.

Takuan

well searching servers is pretty cool and very easy.

Agreed. I don't use the feature anymore (only play on two servers), but if I need to in the future it's there. Still, I don't think it was worth the hassle of installing Steam.

This man is my hero. I am still in the process of opening up a LAN center and this was bothering me. I hope he gets an answer. I'd rather not have to use earlier versions of DoD to get around this. (Not gonna have CS at the center). There's no sense of me even running the games if the users have to have a CD key as well.

Takuan

You claim that "In order to play Half-Life or a Half-Life mod at an Internet café, you already need to have a licensed copy of Half-Life and the attached CD key." This statement is completely false. According to the Cyber Cafe setup page (http://www.steampowered.com/?area=cafe_setup) on steampowered.com, each PC at a licensed Cafe will have its own unique SteamID which can only be logged into/out of, by the Cafe owner

So all you need to do is log every computer onto your unique SteamID first, I guess? Maybe Jakub should've done a bit more research before he posted that rant.

More feedback here: http://www.firingsquad.com/features/jakub_rant_3/

Steam still sucks.

Steam is so much more windows friendly than normal HL, I can't believe anyone would be bitter about using it. My only grief is I can't seem to get op for tfc to work with it.

Top Bottom