• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good monitors for gaming on PS5?

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Wondering if anyone has any experience with great gaming monitors for ps5. 4K, HDR 120 HZ etc. But also that is decently prices, Thanks for any recommendations

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
So not sure what you consider decently priced and the only way to get 4k 120 and real HDR is through TVs atm

That said I was able to grab the new LG 27GP950 with HDMI 2.1 4k 120 hz with HDR 600 and its a great display. Its identical to their previous panel the GN950 just with HDMI 2.1 added.

The price for this monitor is $900 US.

Ignore the extra light and trust me the bloom doesnt look like this in person

mghBcBo.jpg

So not sure what you consider decently priced and the only way to get 4k 120 and real HDR is through TVs atm

That said I was able to grab the new LG 27GP950 with HDMI 2.1 4k 120 hz with HDR 600 and its a great display. Its identical to their previous panel the GN950 just with HDMI 2.1 added.

mghBcBo.jpg
How do you like the HDR in that panel?

Anyone who's gonna go for 1440p should look up whether the monitor has a console mode. If it does not have a console mode, you're stuck with 1080p on PS5, no native 1440p support.

Whitecrow

Banned
HDR in monitors is a waste of resources.

HDR implementations are not that good usually, then add a 'cheap' display as HDR display. You will only get a inaccurate image very different from creators intent.

I would focus in VRR and 120/144 fps and color accuracy,

Ovek

7Member7
AORUS FV43U

02140341497l.jpg

It's 43", 144Hz, 2 x HDMI 2.1, HDR 1000 (the only HDR worth having), Quantum Dot, 10-bit color, super-wide color gamut of 97% DCI-P3 / 150% sRGB and works flawlessly with VRR and GSYNC.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

mghBcBo.jpg
Seriously... 900usd for a monitor with terrible hdr and all the lcd drawbacks... nah.
My recommendation is LG OLED 48" c1 but OP asked for decent prices. Neither 900 for a monitor or 1300 for tv is cheap.

That said....
Q85WBwR.jpg

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Anyone who's gonna go for 1440p should look up whether the monitor has a console mode. If it does not have a console mode, you're stuck with 1080p on PS5, no native 1440p support.

Not entirely true as many 1440p monitors will take the 4k signal from a PS5 and downscale it to the monitors 1440p so your not stuck with 1080p

reinking

Gold Member
I wish Sony would get off their asses and support 1440p. No idea why they seem to be so against it. I tried to get a 27GP950 for my PC and was going to use it for PS5 too. I ended up ordering a couple of Dell monitors for PC and will leave the PS5 on my TV for now.

There are a couple of nice 4K monitors out there that would work for PS5 but you end up reaching close to TV prices anyway.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Seriously... 900usd for a monitor with terrible hdr and all the lcd drawbacks... nah.
My recommendation is LG OLED 48" c1 but OP asked for decent prices. Neither 900 for a monitor or 1300 for tv is cheap.

That said....
Q85WBwR.jpg

Without a doubt when I want a better picture I play on my C9 but for monitors HDR 600 is far from terrible imo.

But yeah no comparison to your display, that is simply gorgeous.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

That said....
Q85WBwR.jpg
Still debating on it. Love these pics though. How does it look with darker games?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Still debating on it. Love these pics though. How does it look with darker games?
haha the first game I've finished on it was The Evil within 2. Even despite not having any hdr, it looked amazing. Black is pitch black, all near dark greys look as they should. I've not noticed any black crush or gradients smoothness problems. I even play with all the light off, so when You use flashlight in a horror game, that is the only illuminated area in your room. nice
more pics: Notice lord of the rings title screen. perfection :D

As others have noted - getting oled means you gotta start thinking semi-responsibly about not leaving static content on the tv. I will see how it pans out but many people say it's not an issue

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
OLED shines with dark games as, to me, not much kills immersion of a game like a dark scene being grey.

OLED doesnt have this issue black scenes are totally black, its beautiful
yep. And while max peak brightness might be "only" around 700 nits, it is blindingly bright for example in uncharted 4 when you exit a cave and stuff like that.

FUBARx89

mghBcBo.jpg

Shouldn't 2.1 hdmi be supporting 120fps 4k rgb, not yuv?

Banjo64

cumsessed
I have a 4k 43 inch HDR Bravia (XD8088) but I’m tempted to just hook it up to my monitor when I get one this year. I have an EX2510 and whilst it’s only 1080p it accepts the native 4k input from the PS5 and super samples it (most monitors don’t do this).

reinking

Gold Member
I recently went through a search for PC monitor and was going to get one I could use for PS5 too. Unfortunately the LG 27GP950 seemed to hard to get at msrp. I thought about getting the 48" c1but I have concerns that it would strain my eyes on the PC side of things. Besides the risk of burn in. If I was just getting a monitor for console gaming I would definitely give it a shot but I bought a Sony X900H last year when I fell for their broken promises. I'm just going to leave the consoles on it for now.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
you may check this one i guess : Dell Alienware AW2720HF
gtfo !
27" 1080p 240hz monitor for a PS5 ?! Seriously?!

Maxwell Jacob Friedman Maxwell Jacob Friedman Just get lg oled like 48" lg c1.
But if You really want a smaller monitor, I would get 27-32" lg 4k monitors. Like 27up650 or whatever these are called now.
BE WARNED. Almost any of these monitors will have fake hdr and kinda shitty lcd.

If You don't want to overpay, just get 4k 60hz ips monitor. I've personally used lg 27uk650 for some time and it was good.
There are 4k120hz monitors (still fake hdr and most likely no hdmi 2.1) but the price is just as high as lg oled so it makes absolutely no sense

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
gtfo !
27" 1080p 240hz monitor for a PS5 ?!

But if You really want a monitor, I would get 27-32" lg 4k monitors. Like 27up650 or whatever these are called now.
BE WARNED. Almost any of these monitors will have fake hdr and kinda shitty lcd.

If You don't want to overpay, just get 4k 60hz ips monitor. I've personally used lg 27uk650 for some time and it was good.
There are 4k120hz monitors (still fake hdr) but the price is just as high as lg oled so it makes absolutely no sense
Yeah don't agree with you that an actual monitor doesnt make sense even at the prices I paid for this LG 27GP950 as many people looking for a monitor do not want 48" of screen space sitting on their desk, like myself

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah don't agree with you that an actual monitor doesnt make sense even at the prices I paid for this LG 27GP950 as many people looking for a monitor do not want 48" of screen space sitting on their desk, like myself
But that is a good monitor unlike the one posted above. It's 4k, 144hz (so 120) and would be ok for ps5. Except for fake hdr. It even ahs hdmi 2.1 which is new to me!
I would 100% get that monitor if I did not wanted an oled.

I had lg 27uk650 for 2 years. it is a 60hz of that exact monitor knowing lg stuff. And it was excellent. I've finished Demons Souls on it

Rickyiez

Save your money for LG oled. IMO Sony games are usually toward immersion and bigger screen contribute to it. Playing God of War for example on a 27” felt underwhelming no matter how good that panel is , compared to a decent 48” TV and above

8BiTw0LF

Banned
For a 4K resolution to be "retina" (110 PPI) it can't be above 38" unless your viewing distance is too far away from the screen. Below 38" just means you can be even closer to the screen without seeing pixels - that's why most graphics work are done on 27"-32" 4K panels.

I would never use a 48" screen in my desktop setup, unless I sat 2 metres from it.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Recommend Sharp TVs or RCA again and would pump the breaks a little bit on the expensive PC monitors for consoles thing plus you can do more with a TV.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Save your money for LG oled. IMO Sony games are usually toward immersion and bigger screen contribute to it. Playing God of War for example on a 27” felt underwhelming no matter how good that panel is , compared to a decent 48” TV and above
Yeah I replayed uncharted 4 on oled with hdr and it was mind blowing.
I need to replay gow on ps5. I only played it on ps4 slim and a 27" monitor when it came out

HTK

Banned
Wait for the LG 42" OLED early next year, monitors suck when it comes to picture quality. Almost like a graphical downgrade.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
gtfo !
27" 1080p 240hz monitor for a PS5 ?! Seriously?!

But if You really want a smaller monitor, I would get 27-32" lg 4k monitors. Like 27up650 or whatever these are called now.

There are 4k120hz monitors (still fake hdr and most likely no hdmi 2.1) but the price is just as high as lg oled so it makes absolutely no sense
I'm saving up money foote the C1. I have the money now but waiting for a Black Friday sale in nov

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: GHG
Top Bottom