• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good WWII movies?

Very different from what I think you're looking for but you should definitely eventually check out Ivan's Childhood for a character-driven Soviet-side perspective.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Das Boot is the #1

tumblr_nftdtlwpaN1qaaytso1_500.gif

Obviously.

Raiders of the lost Ark

Takes place before WWII.

Two older WWII films not mentioned that I'd recommend are Battle of The Bulge & The Longest Day. The Longest Day has a great all-star cast as well.

I really wish the movie
went ahead with the "what if" scenario instead of backing out at the last second.

Agreed, I'm sure one of the earlier scripts probably involved them going to alternate future, but it was changed to make things more conventional. Good film though, great score too, da, da, da!!!

If you wanted to be weirded out and appalled but still be watching a great film then watch Come and See.

The story of a child soldier in rural Russia and how he witnesses Nazi occupation and invasion. The final scene is despairing.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
The Best Years of Our Lives - Its really about vets returning home but it's really good
Casablanca
Letters from Iwo Jima
Schindler's List
Bridge in the River Kwai

For some fun ones:
The More the Merrier - though this is more about the housing shortage in Washington during WWII
Operation Petticoat

Putting one in for Fury. That entire tank crew was a great cast.

This movie left me conflicted. The action was great. But the tone of the movie made me scratch my head a bit. I didn't know if the movie was trying to make me believe that Brad Pitt was a total hardcore badass or a total prick. Like I didn't know if I was supposed to think it was supposed to be cool or fucked up that he bullied the new soldier and literally forced him to kill a German who surrendered.

JoeBoy101

Band of Brothers is THE WWII go-to, but for a hidden gem...

When Trumpets Fade

250px-When_Trumpets_Fade_cover.jpg

Came out as an HBO movie soon before Saving Private Ryan, and was quickly eclipsed. Really strong movie with complex characters, including a protagonist who is not very likable or moral.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Das Boot
Stalingrad (1993)
A Bridge Too Far
Cross of Iron
The Longest Day
Enemy At The Gates
Band Of Brothers
Patton
Kelly's Heroes
Bridge Over River Kwai
The Great Escape
Our Honor Was Loyalty

hobozero

To-Hell-and-Back-Poster.jpg

Stars Audie Murphy, an actual WWII hero playing himself. Based on his autobiography.

Audie Murphy was the most decorated US soldier of WWII, the inspiration for freaking Rambo, and was incredibly humble. He initially refused to play himself as he thought it would be "cashing in" on his war experiences, and he even had them tone down some of the amazing feats he performed because he felt the audience wouldn't believe it. So, pretty much actual Captain America.

Chumley

Banned
Band of Brothers is the end all be all of WW2 across films and TV. The absolute GOAT. Patton and Downfall are on the top 5 list as well.

A Bridge Too Far has issues as a film, but it is pretty faithful to the historical book it's based on. See it for the spectacular practical effects, filming in the actual locations, and Sean Connery.

The Best Years of our Lives is emotionally powerful and very personal. Great film.

Patton is pretty great. See the bluray restoration.

frontovik

Banned
Others have already mentioned: Stalingrad (1993), Downfall, Das Boot, and Come and See..

I'd also recommend ...

Wolyn - An incredibly gritty and tense portrayal of the ethnic tensions between Poles and Ukrainians in the region of Wolyn/Volhynia in a border region of western Ukraine. The start of the Second War exacerbated tensions amongst the populace which led to wide spread and savage ethnic cleansing in the region. Look up the Volynia Massacre, the perpetrators are not who you'd expect it to be on the Eastern Front. It's certainly a cautionary warning on the dangers of nationalism.

wolyn.jpg

Generation War - Often dubbed as the "German Band of Brothers", it follows the lives of a group of friends who served in the German war effort .. such as enlisted soldiers on the front, a nurse in the rear, or remained to support the home front. Their experiences of the brutality of the war completely changes them and some do not survive.

thumbnail_15822.jpg

Battle for Sevastopol - A dramatic portrayal of the life of Lyudmila Pavlichenko, one of the Soviet Union's highly regarded female marksmen, and her subsequent combat role in the Eastern Front and during the siege of Sevastapol.

BattleofSevastopol.jpg

The Brest Fortress - A gripping and dramatic account of the siege of the Brest Fortress during the opening stages of Operation Barbarossa during the summer of 1941. The defenders were caught completely off-guard, but were able to hold off for several days while surrounded and lacking supplies.

75IYGzFEluhSy_UFMbHxTa0-wpZZVg8U4dC-hxL-fIovS_SwyfmrjnVulAUgqBK7AgXidyvAmFw5E7sBZs-nD-xPgDyAbXs1i29aB2YUJgs2cNnrpQeFp35EW0kLQOITvCyfj3El

A Woman in Berlin - A controversial .. but fascinating look at the siege and subsequent occupation of Berlin by Soviet forces during May 1945. The main character is a German journalist trying to survive in a new reality alongside other Berliners.

woman-berlin6.jpg

Unit 33

The Wooden Horse
The Great Escape
A Bridge too Far
The Dambusters
Empire of the Sun
Downfall
A Matter of Life and Death
633 Squadron
Bridge on the River Kwai
Play Dirty

hobozero

Since the Air Force seems underrepresented, here's a couple more:

Memphis Belle

Story focuses on the crew of a B-52 during WWII, highlights some of the risks and horrors crews endured. Notable for having some graphic and exciting aerial battles.

12 O'Clock High

Really interesting war movie, also about bombers crews, though this one focuses more on the strain of command and maintaining morale and unit cohesion. Check this one out for Gregory Peck's performance alone. Also apparently Rian Johnson screened 12 o'clock high to his crew before filming Star Wars Ep VIII, saying this was the look and tone he is going for.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Since the Air Force seems underrepresented, here's a couple more:

Memphis Belle

Story focuses on the crew of a B-52 during WWII, highlights some of the risks and horrors crews endured. Notable for having some graphic and exciting aerial battles.

Were they from the future?

I can only think of a couple that haven't been posted yet.

Ascent_poster.jpg

The Ascent - Great film about two Soviet partisans behind enemy lines. Pretty bleak.

220px-Bitvicpos.jpg

Bitter Victory - Directed by Nicholas Ray and stars Richard Burton. British commandos conduct a raid in North Africa before escaping into the desert where problems arise. Also bleak!

Steamlord

The Cremator
In a Glass Cage
Phoenix
The Great Dictator
Hiroshima Mon Amour

OK, so technically they don't all take place during the war, but they're all about the war.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
To-Hell-and-Back-Poster.jpg

Stars Audie Murphy, an actual WWII hero playing himself. Based on his autobiography.

Audie Murphy was the most decorated US soldier of WWII, the inspiration for freaking Rambo, and was incredibly humble. He initially refused to play himself as he thought it would be "cashing in" on his war experiences, and he even had them tone down some of the amazing feats he performed because he felt the audience wouldn't believe it. So, pretty much actual Captain America.

I remember liking this movie, but I haven't seen it in probably 10-12 years. Don't know if it would actually hold up.

BigBeauford

This movie left me conflicted. The action was great. But the tone of the movie made me scratch my head a bit. I didn't know if the movie was trying to make me believe that Brad Pitt was a total hardcore badass or a total prick. Like I didn't know if I was supposed to think it was supposed to be cool or fucked up that he bullied the new soldier and literally forced him to kill a German who surrendered.

He knew that the new soldier had to be hardened and desensitized quickly, or that he would get himself and the whole crew killed. I don't think he lost all of his humanity unlike some of the other crew members.

HariKari

Guys that refuse to fight are a massive liability. Some were killed in ahem friendly fire incidents by their own units. Pitt's character was just a veteran trying to survive.

Pachimari

This is such a great thread as I have been in a war movie kinda mood since watching Fury a few days ago. The only one I remember having really seen and enjoyed was Saving Private Ryan but I remember nothing from it other than it featuring D-Day, so I am gonna rewatch that one as a start. So far I got these on my playlist. I've seen Downfall too many moons ago, and I know Black Hawk Down isn't relevant to this thread.

- Saving Private Ryan
- Inglourious Basterds
- Letters From Iwo Jima
- Flags From Our Fathers
- Downfall
- The Thin Red Line
- The Pianist
- Schindler's List
- Hacksaw Ridge
- Black Hawk Down
- The Great Escape

Which one should I watch first of these two? Letters From Iwo Jima and Flags From Our Fathers.

dl77

If you want to watch a film about the war, though not necessarily what you'd classify as a 'war' movie, and want to be depressed, there's The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas and Grave of the Fireflies.

There's also some good war films that aren't about WWII, such as Full Metal Jacket, Apocalypse Now & Three Kings.

Hari Seldon

Yeah it is probably easier to mention the bad ones than the good ones lol.

If you are new to the genre, obviously start out with Band of Brothers first. It is the king of the genre by a large margin.

Then watch the modern ones like Hacksaw Ridge, Fury, Saving Private Ryan.

Then watch the classics like Patton, Tora Tora Tora, and A Bridge Too Far.

If you still want more then go and watch the rest* because they are all pretty good lol.

edit:

* except not Pearl Harbor that is a pile of shit.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
A few classics ...

Sahara (1943)
Stalag 17 (1953)
The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)
The Great Escape (1963)
The Train (1964)
The Flight of the Phoenix (1965)
Empire of the Sun (1987)
The Pianist (2002)

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
The Thin Red Line, one of the greatest war films of all time.

I don't know about "greatest", but it is certainly the most pretentious.

Top Bottom