• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Goodbye Pokemon Trainer Sprites.

Sun and Moon are the first Pokemon (mainline) games to not feature Trainer Sprites. This was confirmed in the E3 Demo. (23:30) Trainers are now all models.

Say goodbye to some of your favorite sprite arts.
pokemon_diamond_pearl_trainers.png

MkHBKnZ.jpg

pokemon_x_and_y_trainer_mugshot_by_nachtbeirmann-d7d3sb1.jpg

2gnAy4D.png

A shame too because some of the trainer sprites and portraits were my favorite things that gave nuance to pokemon games. Really gave a jolly feel to what a crazy world it was.

FZZ

Banned
I lowkey wanted to smash all the female swimmers when I was a kid

Pouring one out for the real ones

Seeing those sprites has made me realize that I never really paid attention to the trainers of any game past Gen 2. Swimmers and psychics are easy to identify but for most of these, I really can't tell the difference between gym leaders, elite four, and regular trainers.

Kid Heart

Let's face it, we knew this was coming with the move to 3D.

It's still disappointing mind you since I love the trainer sprites, (I mean just look at my avatar), but yeah I was just waiting for the inevitable at this point.

A bit of a shame that the high quality 2D art is done. However, that being said, the new models have a bunch of personality in and of themselves especially now that they actually hang around in the battles. Doesn't hurt that they don't look half bad. The Preschooler could have fooled some people into thinking its 2D art. Can't wait for HD pokemon. Still, more stuff like Maxie's defeat animation is a good thing.

Edit: On the downside, I'll miss stuff like Red's cap raise in HGSS, that might've been the most epic addition to that fight aesthetically.

Those gen 6 sprites are literally just official art I'm not sure why you're missing them.

Those animated gen 5 sprites are the real shit but we need to move on.

If I am to be honest, the sprites randomly appearing during battle in black and white really threw me off. Don't know why because the Pokemon were sprites too.

Models look far better for in battle purposes and I do enjoy the added end poses. I'm just going to miss some of the flair of 2D art, especially now that X/Y and ORAS's really clean art isn't going to appear in game.

Andrefpvs

They can still take this one step further: since it's obviously impossible to create unique models for every trainer, they could at least slightly change their hair/eyes/skin colours with simple hue modifiers.

So, for example, one Lass could be brown-eyed, another could be blonde with blue eyes, and so on. Would be a neat touch.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
OP is showing disservice by not posting all of XY's top notch trainer sprites

PokemonBreeder-Female.png

especially the best one (no hex girl is overrated and generic)

tauroxd

They can still take this one step further: since it's obviously impossible to create unique models for every trainer, they could at least slightly change their hair/eyes/skin colours with simple hue modifiers.

So, for example, one Lass could be brown-eyed, another could be blonde with blue eyes, and so on. Would be a neat touch.

That would be godlike.

Gravidee

Is there an artbook that compiles all of the trainer art used for the games? Transition to 3D trainer models was looming for a while now but each NPC should still be based on some sort of base artwork.

Also, the female swimmers in X and Y were insane.

XY_Swimmer_F.png

Top Bottom