• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google I/O 2010 Thread of Moving to the Clouds and eating Froyo

Status
Not open for further replies.

subrock

man, these android circle jerks really make me want to whip out the plastic for a new phone.

edit: someone learn me. I'm in canada, will we be getting 4g any time soon? whats the best android on the horizon for us?

Rookje

Not impressed with Google TV at all. Sigh.

Still need a cable box? Fail.
Need new hardware? Fail.

Its basically Boxee or Vudu. What we NEED is a total complete replacement for the cable companies, but we're just never going to get that because the industry has a death grip on that pricing model.

Who even cares about googling on their TV? Like, anyone?

I'll stick with my PS3 + PS3 Media server + Torrents + Netflix. Cumbersome, but way more efficient and rewarding than any of the pay models out now, including Google TV.

tokkun

sprsk said:
I don't understand why people would buy googletv.

It's just a search engine?

Well, it's going to be built into Sony TVs later this year, so some will get it without buying it directly.

Patriots7

Wait the iTunes OTA sync isn't 2.2? And Google never took the promised steps to begin curbing the fragmentation as it was rumored?

Well I guess I'll be month to month with AT&T until the next update rolls out.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Rookje said:

Need new hardware? Fail.

Its basically Boxee or Vudu. What we NEED is a total complete replacement for the cable companies, but we're just never going to get that because the industry has a death grip on that pricing model.

I'll stick with my PS3 + PS3 Media server + Torrents + Netflix. Cumbersome, but way more efficient and rewarding than any of the pay models out now, including Google TV.

Cell Regza's do a similar thing (and much cooler) with search and it just seems redundant.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Whoa, really excited about the simplified media sharing thing.
Used to have that app on my iphone.

Also, I'm really thinking that IS the new Android media player. It's exactly like the news app.
I read here previously that someone said it wasn't. Looks great though.

Rookje said:

Need new hardware? Fail.

Setting up a PS3 and media server is a bit too complicated for the mainstream, and also requires a PS3. Even then, the browser on PS3 sucks. I feel like the GoogleTV has a shot for mainstream people, a no frills way of getting your tv connected - for whatever reason a person may see that as beneficial.

And I don't see any way this would be possible without new hardware - tv, or companion box.

Zozz

Banned
Yea that is the new Android Music app, I just watched it and they choose the music app and a tab came up on the left upper corner that had the Music app icon.

Zozz said:
Yea that is the new Android Music app, I just watched it and they choose the music app and a tab came up on the left upper corner that had the Music app icon.
Yeah, I think we knew it was going to be the new app, but the Cloud Music streaming was the part we're not sure is coming with Froyo. Either way, new app looks hot.

Zozz

Banned
thewesker said:
Yeah, I think we knew it was going to be the new app, but the Cloud Music streaming was the part we're not sure is coming with Froyo. Either way, new app looks hot.
Yea, he said that this is beyond Froyo. I hope that Google gets this to work for Zune. If I can stream my subscription from it I am set.

tabsina

Andrex said:
Anyone have any screenshots of the Market website or the new music player?

you mean screencaps from the keynote? or official screenshots? (i have neither right now, but I can grab some of the former if you want)

has there been any word on when the market website would be going up? would it be earlier than froyo's release? (i know it is useless without froyo, but lot's of people won't have froyo when it does release, so I doubt that would be much of a concern to them)

I actually like the current music player better. It's nice that they have the zoomed in, blurry effect from the gallery in the music app now for wallpaper, but those music control buttons are so random and don't fit the OS at all. Where'd that design language come from, wtf. It's not a huge deal but one website today said that Google still doesn't have a vision for what Android should look like, and it's true. The browser is white and soft with square buttons, the Gallery is clear, 3d and futuristic with round buttons, the music app has new blue circle buttons, most other areas of the OS are gray with square buttons, except when they're not, and are black lists...or white lists...

Gingerbread needs to address this. Froyo seems to make it worse.

Zombie James said:

It'll be the quickest in theory. Both the Droid and N1 are set to get Froyo in the "coming weeks." It's up to Motorola to see if they want to provide a snappy update schedule from here on out or lag behind like they did with 2.1. We'll see if they've got their act together.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
RJT said:
OMFG!!!!! That's... kinda useless... Cool, I guess, but nothing you can't easily do by emailing the article you want to read to yourself, or adding a note do Evernote, or adding a file do Dropbox...
:lol Ok, granted those examples are pretty pedestrian. I would expect that the OTA app installs are another implementation of the Push Intents, though they didn't explicitly say so.

I guess I'm more excited about it having spent a little time starting to work on building an Android app and knowing a bit about how the apps can be designed. What makes this exciting to me is that Android apps are subdivided into activities. Android apps are more properly labelled as a collection of activities rather than as monolithic executables. And Intents can target individual Activities, so you can potentially do some pretty creative things beyond the examples above.

It could be useful for podcast subscriptions, for example. Subscribe to a podcast and say you want new episodes sent to your phone when they're ready, a push intent could trigger whatever App you use on Android to download podcasts and trigger an activity to perform that action.

Zozz

Banned
Andrex said:
Anyone have any screenshots of the Market website or the new music player?
Just find the 4th part of todays keynote on youtube and it's at 2:30 in. No proper screenshots.

FUUUUUUUUU just watched that streaming music part and he specifically said you can only stream non-DRM music.

darkwing said:
so is the Samsung Galaxy S the best Android phone so far? its got Super AMOLED ....

Vomit. It has super amoled, but other than that the Evo trumps it. Especially when you take into consideration the disgusting things Samsung does to Android, and its faster-than-snapdragon hummingbird processor has been nixed for snapdragon, so, no, not the best.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Zozz said:
FUUUUUUUUU just watched that streaming music part and he specifically said you can only stream non-DRM music.
Who's buying anything other than non-DRM music these days?

Zozz

Banned
darkwing said:
so is the Samsung Galaxy S the best Android phone so far? its got Super AMOLED ....
Samsung looks like garbage. There seem sto be no hype around this device and there shouldn't be. They made Android look like shit.

darkwing

jonnybryce said:
Vomit. It has super amoled, but other than that the Evo trumps it. Especially when you take into consideration the disgusting things Samsung does to Android, and its faster-than-snapdragon hummingbird processor has been nixed for snapdragon, so, no, not the best.

ahhh but isn't it carrier locked to Sprint?

Quasar

Zombie James said:
VP8 looks pretty muddy in this test, I wonder what settings they used. Anyone know where I can get my hands on the VP8/WebM encoder?

Well looking at the trailers on YouTube in WebM running on the WebM enabled Firefox, I was pretty happy with the quality. Well aside from the whole controls issue that I have with the whole HTML5 trial on youtube. It's not terribly CPU friendly though. Though understandable given the state of this dev edition of a browser.

Google TV is a curious thing. I hope it doesn't kill Boxee. Also...Sony really needs to enable the PS3 as a GoogleTV box.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
:lol From Google.com/tv/developer:

Google TV is capable of playing 720p and 1080p Flash videos. For best performance:
  • Use h.264 encoding for all video content. Avoid encoding your videos in h.263 or vp6.

:lol It's a shame Intel wasn't on that WebM supporters list yesterday.

tabsina said:
you mean screencaps from the keynote? or official screenshots? (i have neither right now, but I can grab some of the former if you want)

Either would be great, thanks. As many as possible. :D

darkwing

jonnybryce said:

ahhh but isn't it carrier locked to Sprint?

Zozz

Banned
kaching said:
Who's buying anything other than non-DRM music these days?
most of my collection is non-drm. roughly 40GB's. Since I started the Zune subscription I have added another 20GB's.

jonnybryce said:
I actually like the current music player better. It's nice that they have the zoomed in, blurry effect from the gallery in the music app now for wallpaper, but those music control buttons are so random and don't fit the OS at all. Where'd that design language come from, wtf. It's not a huge deal but one website today said that Google still doesn't have a vision for what Android should look like, and it's true. The browser is white and soft with square buttons, the Gallery is clear, 3d and futuristic with round buttons, the music app has new blue circle buttons, most other areas of the OS are gray with square buttons, except when they're not, and are black lists...or white lists...

Gingerbread needs to address this. Froyo seems to make it worse.
Yes, exactly. Very disappointing from a UI standpoint.

It isn't as though Google don't have expertise at this, chrome browser is surely the leader at UI design and gmail was light years ahead of the game for a very long time.

pxleyes

Banned
google_open.jpg

:lol Too good

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
We need more Canadian android phones =/ I almost cracked and grabbed a milestone (droid) even though what I was really wanting was a HTC Legend/Desire/Droid Incredible - now rumour has it the Legend will be making it to the great white north, and I am sitting on my hands waiting for this shit =/.

Kinitari said:
We need more Canadian android phones =/ I almost cracked and grabbed a milestone (droid) even though what I was really wanting was a HTC Legend/Desire/Droid Incredible - now rumour has it the Legend will be making it to the great white north, and I am sitting on my hands waiting for this shit =/.

Droid/Milestone ftw.

skybaby

SimleuqiR said:
Terrible widget, it shipped on my Milestone 2.1 update. That thing eats battery for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
edit: and it comes with the HQ button plus the always HQ even on 3g option.
Funny how the N1 camera is completely different from the camera on my milestone with 2.1, which is also completely different from the camera on 2.2 wtf

subrock said:
better than the N1?

I would pick the N1 over everything, and if it was on Verizon I might have gone that route, despite preferring the physical keyboard. The trackball pisses a lot of people off (scared to put in pocket, gets dirty, faulty input with age or possibly breaks altogether) in the dawn of optical pads, but whatever, N1 is hot.

The Droid is awesome though, and I wouldn't regret choosing it over a Legend, which isn't even snapdragon or as big of a screen as the Droid anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom