• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Pixel 2 - answers are coming Oct 4th

That's an opinion, but then there's also Google's opinion from less than a year ago that removing the jack is a stupid fucking idea.

Yet, here we are

Of course. They say things like this specifically because it's easy to read the room when things like "no more headphone jack" get said. Despite workarounds. Despite including an adapter to ease the transition. TBH, the only edge case I ever saw made against the adapter is that there wasn't a 1st party adapter to have both your headphones and charge at the same time.

I mean, I say this as a Nexus 6 owner that is looking at potentially getting a new phone since my now 3 year baby is no longer getting updates. The lack of a headphone jack wouldn't bother me at all.

Hylian7

*sigh* please have a headphone jack...otherwise I might just buy a Pixel 1 and hope it gets supported with updates for a while.

All in on one of these, just not sure which. I'll be jumping off my family plan and moving to google Fi with either the 2 or the XL 2. I need to see if there are any real spec differences between the two besides battery and screen. Leaning towards the XL cause why not, but the price difference is definitely holding me back... I'd like to have this phone for 3ish years. Excited for Thurs

Kuros

*sigh* please have a headphone jack...otherwise I might just buy a Pixel 1 and hope it gets supported with updates for a while.

Its not got a headphone jack. That's been confirmed by multiple testers. For me it's fine I have one set of earphones which I'll just keep the adaptor on and I don't ever need to charge and listen tbh.

Fledz

I will of course wait because my S6 can probably survive another couple of months but with the current leaks and pricepoints, I'm struggling to see how this can be better value than an S8, even with Samsungs bloatware. I mean I can get an S8 for close to 500GBP from Amazon at this point, which is waaaaay cheaper than what these will be in the UK at launch.

Excited to see the actual things tomorrow but I'm currently leaning towards a new Samsung.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Sick of this non headphone jack trend. Smartphones are just searching for answers to problems that nobody has. Worse, you're forced into this crap if you want a flagship phone.

Tech companies still just racing to shoot themselves in the foot by removing headphone jacks, huh? I like how there's not even any attempt to 'convince' consumers they're a bad thing, it's just 'hush, don't worry about it, it's fine...' while alienating the majority of their current users.

catmincer

If Samsung can stick a ridiculous amount of tech in something as bezelless and slim as a note 8 and include a headphone jack then other manufacturers can too.

I think it's quite ironic that the one thing the Pixel XL 2 has going for it is the dual speakers while my likely next phone will be the V30 and my next laptop will be the XPS 15 which are fantastic in every area except the speakers.

There's no official reveal until tomorrow but the leaked specs just seems eerily similar to the Xbox One vs PS4 reveal. The Xbox One wasn't a bad console but just underwhelming and overpriced.

Headphone jack
Waterproof
Expandable storage (I guess that's a stretch) and I'm in.

Otherwise, LGV30 or wait to buy an S8 when the S9 is announced.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

???

Most if not all of the major manufacturers without a headphone jack do.

Still, that's not good enough for me. Been on an iPhone 7 since January and I miss the headphone jack dearly. I know others get used to it but I haven't and I still end up spending way too much time looking for the stupid adapter when I just want to listen to a podcast while doing chores.

sector4

I really hope they don't remove the headphone jack, as likely as that seems with all of the rumours / leaks. It's a deal breaker for me.

My iPhone 6's battery is gone, and I need a replacement pretty soon. I like the look of the original Pixel, so I may get that if this omits the jack, but it wouldn't feel great buying 1 year old tech. The other option is to way until early next year and pray Samsung doesn't also remove the jack.

C'mon Google, don't take the piss out of Apple (rightly so) one year, and then do the same thing the year after.

I really hope they don't remove the headphone jack, as likely as that seems with all of the rumours / leaks. It's a deal breaker for me.

My iPhone 6's battery is gone, and I need a replacement pretty soon. I like the look of the original Pixel, so I may get that if this omits the jack, but it wouldn't feel great buying 1 year old tech. The other option is to way until early next year and pray Samsung doesn't also remove the jack.

C'mon Google, don't take the piss out of Apple (rightly so) one year, and then do the same thing the year after.

it's pretty much already confirmed it won't be there

I'm still glad I'm over this. Android world will get over it pretty fast too. Especially when samsung does it.

sector4

it's pretty much already confirmed it won't be there

I'm still glad I'm over this. Android world will get over it pretty fast too. Especially when samsung does it.
Ah well hahaha! No pixel 2 for me then. If Samsung follow suit then it'll become all but extinct in phones.

Ugh, I'll be working during the event. Hopefully the preorders don't reach their limit before the day ends.

I'll be selling my Pixel XL, if anyone is interested ;) lol

LogicStep

So for anyone that went through the experience or watched it happen, how was the Pixel launch in regards to stock? Probably sold out on pre-orders but was it easy to get after a certain amount of time? If so, how long? I'm trying to make up my mind which model I would want so that I can jump on the pre-order ASAP but I'm having a hard time.

So for anyone that went through the experience or watched it happen, how was the Pixel launch in regards to stock? Probably sold out on pre-orders but was it easy to get after a certain amount of time? If so, how long? I'm trying to make up my mind which model I would want so that I can jump on the pre-order ASAP but I'm having a hard time.

I recall it being pretty shitty. My brother had to wait about three weeks before his shipped at launch.

I was in the same boat as you but I have come around on the XL. It's $200 more, which isn't a small amount of money, but you get a bigger screen and a better battery in roughly the same footprint. It's honestly not that much bigger than the normal 2. So I'd say you should ask yourself if the bigger screen/battery is worth the $200. For me, battery over everything, so I'm fine paying the extra.

LogicStep

I was in the same boat as you but I have come around on the XL. It's $200 more, which isn't a small amount of money, but you get a bigger screen and a better battery in roughly the same footprint. It's honestly not that much bigger than the normal 2. So I'd say you should ask yourself if the bigger screen/battery is worth the $200. For me, battery over everything, so I'm fine paying the extra.
I'm def getting the XL, just wondering what storage option to go for. Probably go for 64. I have 32 on my current phone and it's been ok.

I think they are going to keep the Pixel 1 around this time.

I'm def getting the XL, just wondering what storage option to go for. Probably go for 64. I have 32 on my current phone and it's been ok.

Oh, I see. I also have 32 right now, so I'm planning on 64. All of my media is hosted on another server, and google's unlimited photos thing means backup shouldn't be an issue.

gcubed

If you jump on it as soon as it goes live you are usually getting it the day it releases. After that it's hit and miss

My wife bought one from Verizon on black Friday and it came within a week.

Everything leaked so far has been incredibly boring and by-the-numbers. Are we anticipating anything new from Google? Did the headphones rumor pan out?

imBask

Banned
surprised that they are keeping the big top and bottom bezel. The lack of headphone jack is really hard to swallow though, it'd be easier if they wouldn't have specifically targetted that in the marketing campaign for the first one

Phionoxx

I'm on Fi with a Nexus 6 and am in for the new XL. Hoping the preorder page goes live today.

Read somewhere that it might just be the Pixel 2 available to order today with a short wait for the XL orders.

surprised that they are keeping the big top and bottom bezel. The lack of headphone jack is really hard to swallow though, it'd be easier if they wouldn't have specifically targetted that in the marketing campaign for the first one

That's HTC, for you. Kings of the Bezel. At least, the XL2 is made by LG.

I'm on Fi with a Nexus 6 and am in for the new XL. Hoping the preorder page goes live today.

Read somewhere that it might just be the Pixel 2 available to order today with a short wait for the XL orders.

Rumors point to XL 2 shipping in early-to-mid November.

PudieRSC

Thinking about getting a Pixel XL, but I have a question about the unlimited storage.

Is there a simple way to have the backup done automatically on wifi but also have them deleted from internal storage once that's done? I need all the space I can get because I download all my music.

Thinking about getting a Pixel XL, but I have a question about the unlimited storage.

Is there a simple way to have the backup done automatically on wifi but also have them deleted from internal storage once that's done? I need all the space I can get because I download all my music.

Backup is done automatically and you can free up space with one button press. Not sure if there is a way to make them automatically delete, but it's easy enough to do manually.

wowzors

Anyone know how the trade ins will work for preorder? Like can I preorder pixel 2 XL and trade in my XL at a later date when the 2 comes out?

There's an option called smart archive that deletes photos and videos older than 90 days if they have been backed up.

Top Bottom