• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Play Games - Android will finally get a Game Center [APK Teardown]

Mobile gaming.... Yawn. Wake me when some Google or Apple releases a controller. Until then phones are only good for puzzle games and infinite runners. I always thought MS threw away a golden opportunity to make chips that allowed Xbox 360 controllers work on all Win8 certified tablets.

Why is everyone bemoaning Google+. How else is google going to create a universal login/profile for gaming ahla Xbox live/PSN/Steam?

Android is spread across so many carriers, devices, manufacturers using Google+ is logical.

ash_ag

Finally! :)

It sounds pretty great! Lots of options and the much needed game sync. This will definitely help put some order to the gaming world of Android! Looking forward to seeing the first support (hopefully in the I/O) and the client. Play Games APIs for Chrome better come soon! :]

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Forced to use a social network? Pass.

It is not a while lot different to having to have a psn or live account. You don't have to use all the Google + features day to day you just need a Google account. A lot of people already have a google account for gmail, Google play, YouTube etc, all Google + does is put a name on top of that.

I don't really play games on my phone or tablet but probably would do more if my saves transferred between devices via the cloud.

I've had a Google+ account since it opened, but I'm certainly not an active user.

I'm happy that Google is doing its best to push everyone over to it; when everyone starts using it actively, people will have to reason not to switch over.

When will Google stop forcing + on me, lately I made a new youtube account and without realizing it got its own Google+ profile.

Why all the hate for G+? It's the single, unified profile that binds all of Google's service lines together.

Would you rather have to create yet another new profile instead of just using G+?

It's like people hate it just because it's G+, no matter how much sense it makes to use it.

"Google is creating a platform to facilitate multiplayer gaming between its users. How dare they build it around their pre-existing profile system!"

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Why all the hate for G+? It's the single, unified profile that binds all of Google's service lines together.

Would you rather have to create yet another new profile instead of just using G+?

It's like people hate it just because it's G+, no matter how much sense it makes to use it.

"Google is creating a platform to facilitate multiplayer gaming between its users. How dare they build it around their pre-existing profile system!"

It's like the opposite of people complaining about Nintendo's lack of unified accounts. Crazy talk.

It's like the opposite of people complaining about Nintendo's lack of unified accounts. Crazy talk.

Classic case of damned if you do damned if you don't. Someone will always bitch no matter the choice you make, it's just hopefully your fanbase is loudest and more unified :p

linsivvi

Hate? Just because I choose not to use a social service no one I know uses I am hating? What is wrong with you....

How are you going to manage friendlists for multi-player gaming without some sort of social service? PSN, Xbox Live, Steam, etc are social services too.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
How are you going to manage friendlists for multi-player gaming without some sort of social service? PSN, Xbox Live, Steam, etc are social services too.

Which is fine, but i dont use G+ and wont start using it for this Android Gaming service. In the end its just not worth for me, i dont see why you are being so defensive about it - where did i say it was bad or unnecessary ? I just dont use the service.

I usually dont mix real-life accounts/friends with gaming partners - is it possible to use G+ without sharing your whole data with everyone you play with ? Also didnt like it when Apple decided that Game Center users have their real names displayed.

Don't make him think. lol

...smh.

linsivvi

Which is fine, but i dont use G+ and wont start using it for this Android Gaming service.

I usually dont mix real-life accounts/friends with gaming partners - is it possible to use G+ without sharing your whole data with everyone you play with ? Also didnt like it when Apple decided that Game Center users have their real names displayed.

Just create a G+ account for gaming only then. Problem solved.

Umm that's the point of circles, lol.

Yeah that works too.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Just create a G+ account for gaming only then. Problem solved.

Maybe, if its worth down the road - but lets see first how this gaming platform develops. Sounds nice, but you people really are sounding ignorant if you think G+ is as widespread everywhere in the world just because many of your friends use it.

Umm that's the point of circles, lol.

If thats possible - great :)

zigg

Why all the hate for G+?
You're right that it makes sense to leverage an existing system.

The problem is who and what system. Google is going to use this to try to pull people out of other walled gardens into their own. It might even work to a point, though it by nature has to fight against existing social patterns. It's like saying "oh, so you want to play our games? Well, you have to stop hanging out with your friends at that bar and come over to ours instead" and leveraging you to try to pull away as many friends as you can manage.

If Google was anywhere near as open as they profess to be, they'd be investing in developing a fully-distributed, unowned network. But they really just want to make their social power grab just like everyone else.

solarus

I don't use G+ personally, but a lot of people use it. You're simply repeating talking points from years ago.
Tech-centric people and those you expect to see on forums yes, the overwhleming and crushing majority use facebook though.

ash_ag

Tech-centric people and those you expect to see on forums yes, the overwhleming and crushing majority use facebook though.

G+ isn't a Facebook alternative per se though. Facebook is more personal... Most people use it as an interface with people they know to some capacity, and honestly, it works really well from that perspective. G+ is a more universal social framework meant to be used as and if one pleases to use it.

For starters, you don't have to really use it -- not unlike Twitter, where many simply retain an account for reading news and following other people / pages they interest them, you can simply watch what's going on (or not even that). And if you do post, you can choose how to share what you want -- in a discrete or open manner; or a combination, since it's designed with that in mind (and circles work quite well).

I'm not saying one is better than the other, but that they are made for two different purposes. Social doesn't work with everyone, which is why I understand maintaining a Facebook account can be a big deal for some. But a G+ account is not unlike a member card to a club that doesn't really expect you to participate in any specific way if you don't want to.

It's like saying "oh, so you want to play our games? Well, you have to stop hanging out with your friends at that bar and come over to ours instead" and leveraging you to try to pull away as many friends as you can manage.

How is it remotely like that? It's creating a new account for a new gaming service. This is done by just about every single gaming service.

Phoenix

I guess the fact none of my hundreds of Facebook friends use it is just an anomaly.

Does Gamecenter work with your Facebook friends? I think I missed that part of the API when I was reading about how Facebook was pushing folks to use their own universal login and commerce system - blocking other systems in fact. Yet people are complaining about a system that simply provides for a universal login across devices and platforms? Madness....

Polari

Does Gamecenter work with your Facebook friends? I think I missed that part of the API when I was reading about how Facebook was pushing folks to use their own universal login and commerce system - blocking other systems in fact. Yet people are complaining about a system that simply provides for a universal login across devices and platforms? Madness....

wat. My post wasn't complaining about that at all. Merely responding to someone's comment about Google+ more generally.

Agent X

I noticed Riptide GP was updated with the new features like leaderboards and achievements. I don't care much for the way they're handled in-game, though. I don't use Google+, and I'm not fond of having my real name and photo posted on the leaderboard. It would be much better if you could limit exposure of your name and photo to friends only, while everyone else would view an alias and avatar like on most other online gaming services.

Top Bottom