• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Reveals Pricing for First Stadia Games

Dizzan

MINI Member
What's worse is that you pay that much just to STREAM IT. 😂

Stadia is cheaper than the console until Year 6. By then, the console will start showing it's age and, in theory, Stadia should have updated hardware on the server side that would blow the console out of the water.

So if they can improve the actual streaming/compression tech further, I don't see it as a bad value product.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Does anyone know if Google are using PC's or XBX's behind the scenes? If they are running PC's that can do 4k, how exactly do they expect to cover the hardware costs, each person is paying $10 a month for 4k so each person has access to a 4k capable PC.

Last edited:

Silvawuff

giphy.gif

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Does anyone know if Google are using PC's or XBX's behind the scenes? If they are running PC's that can do 4k, how exactly do they expect to cover the hardware costs, each person is paying $10 a month for 4k so each person has access to a 4k capable PC.
These are running custom servers that (supposedly, according to PR) have 10.7TFlops of GPU.

Google is selling economies of scale here. Not every user will be logged in 24 hours a day / 7 days a week. These server spots will be oversubscribed out the wazzoo (which is probably why Google is limiting access starting tomorrow to just people who bought the founders edition - and not even all of them). Google is banking on the fact that the average user will probably be logged in, at most, a few hours a week. Even if the average works out to four hours per week, that's a ratio of 42 users per server.

sol_bad

These are running custom servers that (supposedly, according to PR) have 10.7TFlops of GPU.

Google is selling economies of scale here. Not every user will be logged in 24 hours a day / 7 days a week. These server spots will be oversubscribed out the wazzoo (which is probably why Google is limiting access starting tomorrow to just people who bought the founders edition - and not even all of them). Google is banking on the fact that the average user will probably be logged in, at most, a few hours a week. Even if the average works out to four hours per week, that's a ratio of 42 users per server.

It's a big gamble they are taking if they don't have enough servers ready. I assume they would own the custom servers? I wonder what it costs them per server.
It's all very confusing.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
It's a big gamble they are taking if they don't have enough servers ready. I assume they would own the custom servers? I wonder what it costs them per server.
It's all very confusing.
Google is pretty good about being able to buy custom-built servers like this for their datacenters to power all their other applications. In this case, they just happened to spec a server with a lot of graphical processing power (which you typically wouldn't do with a server). They're also usually pretty decent on stuff like capacity planning - obviously my above is a rough guestimate at best. They'll also be deploying these servers to a multitude of server farms they operate all over the world, so that the user is able to connect to their closest server instance to play. The more users that subscribe and the more popular it gets (they hope) it definitely seems like something that should scale upwards well.

They're also running a custom OS on these servers that leverages Vulkan / Linux so that they don't have to pay Microsoft's Windows licensing fees.

It's definitely ambitious on Google's part. I have no doubt their data center tech is tight but they are definitely going to have to overcome a lot of other issues to make this successful.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Stadia is cheaper than the console until Year 6. By then, the console will start showing it's age and, in theory, Stadia should have updated hardware on the server side that would blow the console out of the water.

So if they can improve the actual streaming/compression tech further, I don't see it as a bad value product.

Problem is everything in theory went out the window. Red Dead not running in 4k/60 proved they're all PR and have no actual leg to stand on with their 4k 60 fps claims. I'm sure that's "possible" on stadia but they have clearly not delievered in any capacity to any of their promises.

Last edited:

Klayzer

Yay!

This Stadia thing was pretty funny on it's own. But it's soooooo much better with a real-life Google Stadia fanboy.

Please, keep posting.
Fanboy, shill, apologist and genuine crazy person. All of these adjectives describe that poster.

MacReady13

i think i got rise of the tomb raider for like 6 bucks a few months ago, They want 30 for it. This has to be a joke.

Yeah but remember, you can jump into the game instantly. There's no pausing for updates, or whatever bullshit they will try to tell us! Joke of a launch.

sol_bad

Google is pretty good about being able to buy custom-built servers like this for their datacenters to power all their other applications. In this case, they just happened to spec a server with a lot of graphical processing power (which you typically wouldn't do with a server). They're also usually pretty decent on stuff like capacity planning - obviously my above is a rough guestimate at best. They'll also be deploying these servers to a multitude of server farms they operate all over the world, so that the user is able to connect to their closest server instance to play. The more users that subscribe and the more popular it gets (they hope) it definitely seems like something that should scale upwards well.

They're also running a custom OS on these servers that leverages Vulkan / Linux so that they don't have to pay Microsoft's Windows licensing fees.

It's definitely ambitious on Google's part. I have no doubt their data center tech is tight but they are definitely going to have to overcome a lot of other issues to make this successful.

Looks like my question was answered in the other thread.
Seems that their custom servers don't run at 4K but at 1080p and then upscaled.

MadAnon

You seriously think 95%+ gamers have an Excel sheet with costs calculated for each platform over a period of several years? And they base their decisions on it?

Buying full priced games to stream sucks ass, period!!!

Last edited:

Dizzan

MINI Member
You seriously think 95%+ gamers have an Excel sheet with costs calculated for each platform over a period of several years? And they base their decisions on it?

Buying full priced games to stream sucks ass, period!!!
When did I say that they did?

Last edited:

Dizzan

MINI Member
Problem is everything in theory went out the window. Red Dead not running in 4k/60 proved they're all PR and have no actual leg to stand on with their 4k 60 fps claims. I'm sure that's "possible" on stadia but they have clearly not delievered in any capacity to any of their promises.
Totally and the backlash they are receiving is deserved. I was all aboard prior to launch but now, not so much.

I do see the convenience of it though and may have a dabble if only for the portability of it. Being able to play on my phonne (yes, I have a pixel) or laptop is still appealing, even if the fidelity is not quite there.

Last edited:

Dizzan

MINI Member
Yeah, you didn't propose Stadia as cheaper product over 6 year period compared to console and it being a great value.

I definetely can't read and I'm just imagining things.

Don't twist my words mate. I said I don't see it as bad value. I never said I would choose Stadia over a console.

Kdad

Remember how immediate reaction by the gaming influencers make a console DOA. Xbox remembers. Google...you just had to do a search to learn this lesson.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Totally and the backlash they are receiving is deserved. I was all aboard prior to launch but now, not so much.

I do see the convenience of it though and may have a dabble if only for the portability of it. Being able to play on my phonne (yes, I have a pixel) or laptop is still appealing, even if the fidelity is not quite there.
Sure the convience is there but that's literally it at this point.

Xcloud is going to do everything that stadia is and more at this point.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Learn to read mate. I'm not talking about your desicion. I'm talking about you making a case for Stadia over console because of some 6 year cost calculation.

Okay buddy. You directly said that I used the calculation as "the reason to choose Stadia over console (sic)". I never said I would choose Stadia over a console, I merely said that due to the cost, it is not bad value.

Well, you just used this calculation as supposed advantage and the reason to choose Stadia over console.

Stuart360

It still blows my mind that this isnt subscription based. I mean i thought it would fail anyway, but having to actually pay full price for games, that look like playing Youtube vids, well its a joke really.
At least with like a $15 a month subscription, you could see a million or two giving it a shot, but i cant see many people giving this a shot at all.

Can someone explain this 'convenience' angle i keep seeing pitched for streaming.

Google says I need a dongle for Stadia and that, my pad, smart phone and dongle must all be on the same wifi network? :/ Which means i have to be at home to stream? Why would I play on a small screen when I could play on local hardware on a big screen?

Also, how convenient Is playing destiny 2 on a smart phone with no proper input mechanics? Touch screen won't cut it.

Finally, of all things that are wrong with Stadia, the report audio/visual lag would drive me to distraction. Any slight delay in audio and video, in any walks of life, makes me hulk smash.

Last edited:

Cato

Banned
I do see the convenience of it though and may have a dabble if only for the portability of it.

How is it portable if they even tell you "you need to connect the chromecast to wired ethernet".
A really really long ethernet cable is the solution for mobile on-the-go stadia players?

Last edited:

Dizzan

MINI Member
How is it portable if they even tell you "you need to connect the chromecast to wired ethernet".
A really really long ethernet cable is the solution for mobile on-the-go stadia players?

It is in it's infancy. Over time, I'm sure it will be on all devices (through chrome) and wireless connections will be fast enough. I get that right now, the tech isn't there (which was a huge fuck up by Google) but when it is, the portability will be a massive plus.

Last edited:

Cato

Banned
It is in it's infancy. Over time, I'm sure it will be on all devices (through chrome) and wireless connections will be fast enough. I get that right now, the tech isn't there (which was a huge fuck up by Google) but when it is, the portability will be a massive plus.

I am just ribbing you man :)

For sure, one day, maybe, streaming will be viable for these type of games, but that is not this year and not this decade.

Dizzan

MINI Member
I am just ribbing you man :)

For sure, one day, maybe, streaming will be viable for these type of games, but that is not this year and not this decade.
I agree. As a concept it is sick. Execution is a long way off.

I'm so devo. Was really looking forward to it and hoping they had figured it out. haha

CuNi

That looks pretty impressive predicting input and negative latency.
The avatar jumps but he only clicked the space bar a full second later.

I am impressed! I never thought they would get negative latency to work.
I don't know if we're seeing the same gif, but for me he clearly presses the bar before the character jumps. Though the time difference between input and reaction is very inconsistent. One time it nearly reacts instantly the other time it's easily a whole second delay.

MilkyJoe

I absolutely love it when companies fuck things up, this is going to rival Gillette for entertainment value.

I wonder if early adopters will get refunds when this shuts down 🤔

Cato

Banned

Yeah, but you know what is even cheaper?
A deck of cards. They cost 99cent and they last for many many years.
There are no montly subscriptions and local multiplayer even works when you are off-line or even if you don't have internet at all.

Last edited:

Von Hugh

Are you drunk ?
Theres is no good spin to this, games are expensive that you don’t own, latency is a thing that rears it’s ugly head on too many occasions, random drops where the game just stops working uses 20GB of data an hour streaming at 4K and if you have caps....... game selection is horribl.
You can defend it until your blue in the face but stop lying to people saying it’s a great deal it’s really not, anybody with half a brain can see it’s not .

1. First week of Stadia launch, most likely latency issues well improve
2. More games will be available after launch

You can blindly keep attacking Stadia. I'm not defending Stadia either, but keep the immature assaults somewhere else since you don't seem to be operating with a full brain either.

nowhat

Don't compare No Man's Sky to the other two. At least Hello Games put actual effort into fixing the game.
Yeah, it actually is now what Hello Games promised (and much more) - they took their sweet time to get there, but it's a small team and the updates are free.

It's still not my kind of game mind you, but I applaud the studio for what they've done.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Some say you can still hear Kain Voosting in the night, "it was supposed to be wonderful!"

Last edited:

DESTROYA

1. First week of Stadia launch, most likely latency issues well improve
2. More games will be available after launch

You can blindly keep attacking Stadia. I'm not defending Stadia either, but keep the immature assaults somewhere else since you don't seem to be operating with a full brain either.
Doesn’t change anything that the first wave of launch games are extremely weak, have been released on all other platforms and are now available at a much cheaper price + you still don’t own them.
Latency issues are hard to fix unless your wired directly to the Chromecast and even then will rear it’s ugly head, new users will find this very bad for gaming. Input lag makes games unplayable. You can’t say latency issues will improve until they do, unlike you I have no faith in google.
Sometimes the truth hurts but I wasn’t attacking you personally just pointing out my experience with streaming, trust me my half a brain is much sharper than those with a full brain.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Google isn't even trying, honestly.

Jade and Phil must be pulling their hair out over there, unless they've just been drinking too much Google coolaid.

The only good thing I'm hearing is lack of load times, but next gen consoles will offer the same thing. They have a 6 month window before their specs are obsolete, and they want me to pay full price for mortal Kombat?

Watched Giant Bomb play MK11, Shadow of Tomb Raider and Destiny 2 and they all have significant load times. Almost looks the same as Xbox One.

Top Bottom