• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Suggests a Wired (not WiFi) Connection for Stadia 🤡

ManaByte

xtppDl2.png

If they suggest a wired connection for the Chromecast, the whole "wifi" thing just got tossed out the window.

Joe T.

ArsTechnica brought up weak WiFi performance in their review today:

The stability of wired Stadia play was in stark contrast to the Wi-Fi Stadia experience, which was inconsistent to the point of aggravation. This became apparent in our very first tests, playing Mortal Kombat 11 on a Chromecast Ultra stationed on a TV one floor above the router.

The first few single-player matches played beautifully, with crisp, smooth graphics and controls that made quick special moves easy to pull off. Then the Chromecast suddenly warned me that my connection had become "unreliable" and that "gameplay may stop" if it didn't improve. The sudden message was all the more vexing because I was alone in the house, with no other devices actively running on the network.

At that point, I faced a noticeable drop in resolution and frequent frame-rate stutters that made the game nearly unplayable. As promised, gameplay was forced to stop a couple of times as Stadia kicked me back to the main menu (while I was able to reconnect relatively quickly and without losing my spot in the game, but it was still a major annoyance).

The Wi-Fi inconsistencies continued for the rest of the week. One day, the Wi-Fi connection would be so bad that I could barely get a Stadia stream to run for a minute on a Chromebook sitting mere feet from my router. The next day, that same Chromebook would provide an excellent Stadia stream in my downstairs kitchen even with a Netflix stream running on a nearby iPad. These were in locations in the house where I usually get a reliable Wi-Fi connection and where I didn't run into similar problems when testing Microsoft's xCloud beta on a Pixel phone last month (though xCloud resolution did bounce up and down a lot depending on the connection quality).

maxresdefault.jpg

well, obvioutly, it's true for network games, and streaming in general (especially if your router is a bit on the weak side).

But when they state that :
this setup will make your experience playing Stadia more seamless and enjoyable.
There is nothing seamless and enjoyable about fighting with the rest of the family over who gets to use internet to stream movies or video games.

This is a level of dedication most people won't bother with.

Kdad

"MOM!! GET OFF NETFLIX I'M PLAYING DESTINY WITH MY FRIENDS!!!"

Its the 90s all over again.

WHY! WHY! WHY DO I HAVE TO GET OFF?! THATS BULLSHIT. GET ME A DRINK YOU LIED. GET ME MY CHOCOLATE MILK!!!

(I know, not same situation but still my fave quote from days gone by"

Cato

Banned
"MOM!! GET OFF NETFLIX I'M PLAYING DESTINY WITH MY FRIENDS!!!"

Its the 90s all over again.

We need a meme,
a screenshot from Destiny, you are in close combat and are being shot at,
centre of the screen is the usual wheel with "buffering ... 12%"
and below the text "MOM!! GET OFF NETFLIX I'M PLAYING DESTINY WITH MY FRIENDS!!!"

Make this meme for me please!

well, obvioutly, it's true for network games, and streaming in general (especially if your router is a bit on the weak side).

But when they state that :

There is nothing seamless and enjoyable about fighting with the rest of the family over who gets to use internet to stream movies or video games.

This is a level of dedication most people won't bother with.
It till be just in the good old days when your mom could ruin your BBS connection/modem multi-player play/online session or whatever by wanting to use the phone 😅

I had a friend when I was a kid who always used to yell at his mom for doing this. Before we were going to dial up he used to scream across the house, "Mom!! We're going to modem!"

Yeah, he created the verb modem; "to modem".

The MS and Sony streaming teams must be laughing their arses off.

PSnow streaming works better than this and i'm sure xcloud will as well...without a dongle needing to be wired in to your router :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Cato

Banned
It till be just in the good old days when your mom could ruin your BBS connection/modem multi-player play/online session or whatever by wanting to use the phone 😅

I had a friend when I was a kid who always used to yell at his mom for doing this. Before we were going to dial up he used to scream across the house, "Mom!! We're going to modem!"

Yeah, he created the verb modem; "to modem".

I remember that.
I think this is great. We are reaching out across generations to let the millenials know, first hand, how dialup and internet connected stuff worked in the late 80s :)

Why anyone was hyping this knowing all the issues is beyond me.

This tech needs atleast a decade of global infrastructure updates to be viable .

As of right now, it's viable only in specific locations and with specific set ups.

Arun1910

Idk what dumbass bought a Stadia but if you thought you'd get no input lag when WP have a 700mb down connection then that's your own fault

Lmao just had a flashback to the days of playing Everquest and telling my mom not to pick up the phone when I’m raiding. Google trying to use the power of nostalgia?

llien

I love how you should not use anything else while you are playing.
So my wife and kid should not be online cuz it will ruin my experience.

What a joke
I never gave a fuck whether my wife and kids were simultaneously watching 4k content on netflix.
But then, it's about internet connection.

People with good internet setup should not worry.

That being set, all my amazon fire sticks (and I have 4, 3 actively used) are connected via Ethernet. Because claimed vs actuals speeds on WiFi is laughable.

This tech needs atleast a decade of global infrastructure updates to be viable .
They don't need it running everywhere at once.
I'm pretty sure all Scandinavian as well as Baltik countries are well fit.
Large portions of Germany as well.

Rural areas will suffer, but 5G is coming to cover that. At least in Europe.

Last edited:
Most people don't realize just how fundamentally unreliable a WiFi connection is. Video games played on your local console or PC which only send very few packets to a remote server can already be very dodgy on WiFi versus Ethernet. Now imagine having to also stream a video of the game you are playing while also relaying your inputs to a remote server.

I mean my wireless gaming mouse reports inputs at a rate of 1000 times a second, for instance. The tick rate of your average online game when playing locally is up to 60 times per second, which is orders of magnitude less than 1000, and yet if you want your streaming video game to behave in any way like the game you are playing locally, you need to report to the server more than 60 times a second. 1000 probably isn't workable, so at some level the game will simply be less responsive than playing locally.

There's also the fundamental issue of massive latency caused by the Internet, the input lag is going to be awful. First you send your input to the remote server (let's pretend 50-100 ms as a ballpark number), the server processes your input and renders the next frame of the game, then streams the video of the game back to you (50-100 ms). That's uh 100-200 ms of input lag on the average case. If you happen to live right in Mountain View then maybe your ping to Stadia is as low as 10-20 ms but I'm not planning on moving there to play Stadia, are you? Yeah. Most people will NOT have anything resembling playable latency, this is what killed Playstation Now.

Jtibh

Banned
I never gave a fuck whether my wife and kids were simultaneously watching 4k content on netflix.
But then, it's about internet connection.

People with good internet setup should not worry.

That being set, all my amazon fire sticks (and I have 4, 3 actively used) are connected via Ethernet. Because claimed vs actuals speeds on WiFi is laughable.

They don't need it running everywhere at once.
I'm pretty sure all Scandinavian as well as Baltik countries are well fit.
Large portions of Germany as well.

Rural areas will suffer, but 5G is coming to cover that. At least in Europe.
Well we have shaw 300 which is decent. Its so decent that every time i turn on the microwave our wifi cuts out.
So yeah we are wired as a cocain addict

Top Bottom