• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google targets PSP and other devices to build municipal Wi-Fi

neptunes

Google eyes how mobile devices will use city Wi-Fi
By Stephen Lawson, IDG News Service
January 27, 2006

Google Inc. has met with mobile gear vendors including Motorola (Profile, Products, Articles) Inc. and Sony (Profile, Products, Articles) Corp. to explore how their devices might be able to take advantage of municipal Wi-Fi networks, an executive of the search company said Thursday.

One device in Google's crosshairs is Sony's PSP game platform. "There's like five million of those in the U.S. now, they've all got Wi-Fi in them. We're trying to do what we can to make those devices able to log on to this network," Sacca said.

But hardware makers are also exploring ways to take advantage of VOIP (voice over IP), which could leave cellular operators and their per-minute billing out of the equation, he said.

"We're getting stuff shipped to us by everybody -- by Motorola, by Siemens by Philips, by Sony, by Nintendo," Sacca said. Some of the devices are coming from behind-the-scenes development groups at those companies -- some of which are deeply involved in the traditional cell phone business. In some cases, "we're meeting with somebody, but it's behind the CEO's back," he said.

The possibility of residents accessing a Google-provided municipal network via Sony's popular PSP gaming platform is among Google's hopes as it seeks to build a bigger Wi-Fi network in nearby San Francisco that is free to both the city and users. The company is working through the city's RFP (Request for Proposal) process. There, as in Mountain View, Google is finding a number of political and technical hurdles, Sacca said

Moree can be found here at infoWorld.com

SHITTTT!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
bauerold.jpg

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I like this thread title better so here goes.

I like that Google is recognizing game devices as a major proponent to getting municipal WiFi off the ground. The PSP in particular is a very popular and well liked consumer gadget within the techie crowd so using that as a 'spokes-gadget' is a smart move. Nice to see Nintendo working with them as well. Undoubtedly I can see Nintendo trying to take advantage of every possible service as a means to promote the DS' WiFi network. There might be a possibility of there being a marketing partnership between the two if the McDonald’s partnership was any indication.

Flo_Evans

They seriously need to get google maps and google video(flash8) working with the PSP. If they do that with firmware 3.0 I would say goodbye to homebrew and memstick loading and overclocking forever.

*Then all google needs to do is come up with an IM app.

**Sony also needs to improve the software keyboard... I have no idea why they went 'cell phone' style in the damn thing.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Google, Wi-Fi, touch screen. This would be very interesting on the DS too (Japan says hi)

Danj

Flo_Evans said:
They seriously need to get google maps and google video(flash8) working with the PSP.

For Google Maps they need to make a version that doesn't use all the AJAX crap or whatever and instead presents a static image which you have to click the pan or zoom buttons to move around, then it should work fine on the existing browser.

I think it'll be a long time (if ever) before Flash is supported on the PSP web browser, and certainly it wouldn't be specifically for Google Video, because Sony will want people to buy videos from their upcoming unified Connect store.

Flo_Evans said:
*Then all google needs to do is come up with an IM app.

They already did, it's called Google Talk, and since it's based on an open protocol called Jabber, there would not be anything to stop Sony implementing a Jabber IM client on the PSP. I don't think they're likely to though, unless they either improve the OSK or create a keyboard addon/accesory for it.

Top Bottom