• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOP Congressman insists white terrorist attacks are different

Status
Not open for further replies.
There may not be some organization pulling the strings like ISIS or Alqaeda, but there are communities all over the net that are fostering these sentiments and pushing people to commit acts of mass violence. And in many cases, the same weaknesses are being exploited in both groups.

He's right that they aren't exactly the same, but downplaying them as just one-offs is ignorant.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Duffy said he’d be happy to help do something about white supremacy but he just didn’t know what to do: “Can we vet that? How should we vet that to keep ourselves safe? I will join you in that effort, what do you do?”

like some sort of registry? a white christian registry.

... and now you see violence and terror in the streets all across America, burning and beating people with Donald Trump hats...

The riots and violent breakdown of order has gotten so bad, it's hard to find food. When I leave my apartment, I'm immediately accosted by liberals threatening my life if I don't pledge loyalty to Marx and proclaim that God is dead. I never thought it'd get this bad.

Ran rp

what the fuck

DUFFY: No, it does matter. It does matter. Look at the good things that came from it. [Then-South Carolina Gov.] Nikki Haley took down the Confederate flag, that was great.

what the fuck

i can't with this fucking country

theWB27

Well damn.

He can get away with saying this because you have so many people scared to call a spade a spade.

Korigama

Yes, the bright side of nine people being murdered, because surely there was nothing wrong with that shitkicker, loser traitor flag flying before that. Asshole.

i mean they are different. one is implicitly supported by the leading party of a state, the other supported by a rogue state no one recognizes as legitimate.

Toxi

Banned
Just for reference, this is the district that elected this fuck.

lossless-page1-400px-Wisconsin_US_Congressional_District_7_(since_2013).tif.png

AntoneM

ISIS has always wanted to frame their fight as a the West vs the Muslim world instead of the world vs ISIS and Trump and the GOP are giving them exactly that.

*I know I'm preaching, mostly, to the choir here* That is why the former US president refrained from calling them "Islamic terrorists". But, you know, ALL the people who voted for Trump sided with the thought that not calling it that meant he was weak.

Dierce

I for one hope the next Democratic president labels the republican party an extremist hate group.

How much I wish that would happen.

HaloSon

Banned
So bizarre when he asks "what can we do about that?" and the host starts listing things to do. And the guy just screams up "Yeah exactly you're right! So let's do that!............... to muslims"

Like... what?

"They" don't take responsibility for their actions. You can trace this all the way back to slavery. "They" can do no wrong. The Africans were savages with no God so they had to be slaves they simply were not human. They always ignore their own atrocities.

Duffy argued in his CNN interview that attacks by white people ― such as the one in Quebec City ― aren’t as big of a problem.

You know what USA, you can fuck off. We are suppose to be fucking allies. When we get hit with a terrorist attack, you are suppose to fucking stand with us, regardless of the perpetrators ethnicity or colour.

AJLma

"Look at the great things that came from it." In reference to a Church shooting, in which a Democratic US Senator was killed.

Yea...

Kaiterra

Banned

He has an office two blocks from my house. Always thought he was a complete dipshit. He wins by large enough margins with his "golly gee I'm just a lumberjack, not some politician" bullshit though that last year the Democrats didn't even bother trying to send a competitive candidate against him (they ran a university professor in this anti-intellectual backwater for cripe's sake). He was out there during the campaign season basically stumping for Trump more than himself and spreading voter fraud conspriacies and shit. This is who we got as a replacement for Dave Obey, ugh.

Duffy said Trump was justified in stopping Syrian refugees from entering the United States ”until in Syria they figure out this conflict in the civil war and this hotbed for terrorism." Presumably, however, once the conflict is over, women and children, for example, won't feel it is as necessary to escape their country to find a safe haven.

They won't feel it's necessary to escape because they'll be dead you fuck

My county, right on the border :x

ISOM

White terrorism is ok, others are not. You might have well just said that and cut out the other bull.

zashga

DUFFY: No, it does matter. It does matter. Look at the good things that came from it. [Then-South Carolina Gov.] Nikki Haley took down the Confederate flag, that was great.

This is an incredibly thoughtless thing to say, even by today's standards. Unbelievable.

commedieu

Banned
..a flag?

He just downplayed the execution of black people by saying a flag was taken down.

I'd be insulted, but white people, some not all, live in a bubble of privilege where this makes sense to them. He doesn't even hesitate to say it. It's almost as if it is a fact. Black people die, flag comes down. Progress!

This is what minorities have to deal with. People running our country view us on par with some damned fabric. How do you think people like this vote on issues affecting brown people? How does that trickle down to what we have today?

Deduction time. So in his view, the flag is a symbol of white supremacy and hate or something alternative to the health of black people. I wonder what his view on the flag is, outside of this instance.

Correction.

Not on par with fabric.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Dude might want to have a little chat with Homeland Security and the FBI, who have both listed right wing extremism as the biggest domestic threat to the United States. In the last decade, less than 100 people have been killed by Islamist terrorists in the USA. Is this idiot for real?

SURGEdude

Oh my, saying there was good things from the SC shooting like the flag being taken down is just a hurtful statement to make.

It's especially insulting coming from one of the few people in the country who has the power to actually do something.

If he and the rest of the right had taken pause and realized how much blame they carried in that attack, and then turned around and did the right thing then I'd have no problem pointing out the good that came out of that monstrous day.

But nope, these fuckers didn't do shit because they don't give a fuck. To then use their lack of inaction as a positive is repulsive. Craven as fuck.

HaloSon

Banned
..a flag?

He just downplayed the execution of black people by saying a flag was taken down.

I'd be insulted, but white people, some not all, live in a bubble of privilege where this makes sense to them. He doesn't even hesitate to say it. It's almost as if it is a fact. Black people die, flag comes down. Progress!

This is what minorities have to deal with. People running our country view us on par with some damned fabric. How do you think people like this vote on issues affecting brown people? How does that trickle down to what we have today?

Deduction time. So in his view, the flag is a symbol of white supremacy and hate or something alternative to the health of black people. I wonder what his view on the flag is, outside of this instance.

Correction.

Not on par with fabric.

Cognitive dissonance

It's literally killing white people.

commedieu

Banned
Dude might want to have a little chat with Homeland Security and the FBI, who have both listed right wing extremism as the biggest domestic threat to the United States. In the last decade, less than 100 people have been killed by Islamist terrorists in the USA. Is this idiot for real?

Fyi. Trump said the past doesn't matter. And those 7 countries are an immediate threat from here on, because of no data. But well. He's such a savvy businessman.

He has an office two blocks from my house. Always thought he was a complete dipshit. He wins by large enough margins with his "golly gee I'm just a lumberjack, not some politician" bullshit though that last year the Democrats didn't even bother trying to send a competitive candidate against him (they ran a university professor in this anti-intellectual backwater for cripe's sake). He was out there during the campaign season basically stumping for Trump more than himself and spreading voter fraud conspriacies and shit. This is who we got as a replacement for Dave Obey, ugh.

Shows how idiotic party leadership is. To have a chance in a district like that you have to throw support behind an independent candidate and not run a Democrat. The D moniker is too toxic to overcome in most rural areas. And you sure as hell don't run an academic. What in the hell was the WI Democratic party thinking?

Zeke

Duffy said he’d be happy to help do something about white supremacy but he just didn’t know what to do: “Can we vet that? How should we vet that to keep ourselves safe? I will join you in that effort, what do you do?”
Missed opportunity to ask him to disavow trumps racist ass rhetoric along with Bannon. Anyway piece of shit is a piece of shit no shocker there.

Did Trump even say anything about the Quebec terror attack (that's what it was) other than "THIS IS WHY WE NEED TO BAN MUSLIMS"?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

That the Confederate flag was taken down 150 years after they lost?

FyreWulff

Well, you could start by dismantling the KKK and the neo nazi groups and removing all the Confederate institutions and monuments they got to put up even though they got their shit wrecked and lost

ICO_SotC

It's remarkable how it took a white kid killing a bunch of black churchgoers to turn opposing the Confederate flag from something that only a "liberal", "politically correct" person would want, to something that is now universally considered a good thing according to Republicans.

Oh, and Republicans tried to hold Zika funding hostage to get the ban on Confederate flags in cemeteries overturned, so fuck you Sean.

i-Lo

Wow, that last line to put into context that entire interview.... lower than a shit eating maggot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom