• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOP Senator Bob Corker Says Trump’s Recklessness Threatens ‘World War III’

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Good job, Corker. Keep going. Hopefully this paves a path for others in the GOP. Even if it's only others that are retiring at the start, anything that starts the ball rolling is a good thing.

epmode

Good job, Corker. Keep going. Hopefully this paves a path for others in the GOP. Even if it's only others that are retiring at the start, anything that starts the ball rolling is a good thing.
Yeah, it has to start somewhere. This guy is as complicit as anyone but I’m still happy to see this story.

Slime

Banned
I love the chaos, but remember this before you start patting this d-bag on the back, or considering him "one of the good ones" (reminder: there are no good Republicans):

A particularly negative ad titled "Who Hasn't?" sponsored by the Republican National Committee ("RNC") that aired during the third and fourth weeks of October gained national attention and condemnation from both Ford and Corker. The ad portrayed a scantily clad white woman (Johanna Goldsmith) acting as a Playboy bunny who "met Harold at the Playboy party" and invites Ford to "call me".[17][18]

Responding to questions about the ad, a Ford spokesperson said that Ford went to a 2005 Playboy-sponsored Super Bowl party that was attended by more than 3,000 people,[19] and Ford himself said that he likes "football and girls" and makes no apology for either.[20]

The NAACP described the ad as "a powerful innuendo that plays to pre-existing prejudices about African-American men and white women", and a former Republican Senator called it "a very serious appeal to a racist sentiment.[21] Corker condemned the RNC ad, calling it "tacky" and stating that his campaign has asked to have it pulled.[18] The RNC, however, continued to endorse the ad, said it had no plans to stop airing it, and dismissed charges of racism, saying it "wouldn't even entertain the premise" that the ad was racist.[17][18] In an October 24 interview with Tim Russert, RNC chairman Ken Mehlman said that he thought the ad was "fair" and that he did not have the authority to pull it.[22]

The ad was also denounced by Canada's ambassador to the United States, Michael Wilson, and in the Parliament of Canada by MP Omar Alghabra. The ad became an issue in Canada because of an actor's statement in the advertisement, "Canada can take care of North Korea. They're not busy." Alghabra, in the House of Commons, responded, "Is this what Canadians should be expecting as the outcome of cozying up to Mr. Bush by the prime minister and his Conservatives?"[23]

On October 25, Mehlman announced that the ad was "down now" during an interview with Wolf Blitzer on CNN.[24] In its place, Tennessee television stations ran a different RNC ad.[25]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_election_in_Tennessee,_2006#Controversy

I don’t care what sassy words Senate Republicans have for Trump. Without action it’s meaningless. Trump looks forward to these petty feuds on Twitter.

Everybody gets their five minutes telling us they know this president is dangerously unfit to remain in office and then move along beside him like it doesn’t matter.

Impeachment is a waste of time. You go from one crappy Republican to a slightly less but still horrendously awful one.

The next President should either be an independent or Democrat.

Trump is basically what an independent would look like which is why he doesn't really fit in with the repubs. They're all scum though.

Azuran

Banned
Thank Senator Obvious.

All these Republicans love talking trash yet they never do shit about it. Fuck them.

norm9

At this point, I wouldn't pUT it pass them to be collaborating on these feuds. Gets the masses gossiping and shit.

Corker says a lot of things. Unless he starts voting the way he speaks, then it's all bullshit.

99% of the time, he votes how Trump wants him to vote.

Everyone in the Senate GOP knows they're risking the end of FUCKING CIVILIZATION and they care more about getting re-elected than impeaching this godforsaken shithead.

I appreciate Corker speaking out but the cowardice in the GOP is enraging.

This is all Donald Trump and the GOP has left after pandering to the lowest common denominator for the past 4 decades. That any so-called moderate can't criticize Trump or the base says a lot.

Surely someone in the republican party glean see that striking out bag a on stop Trump, loud and hard save the soul of the party style, is the fast track ticket to success.

Not now, but after the push back, when the wind turns, and everyone is claiming they never liked/endorsed/voted for trump.

Whether that's in a year or two as a democratic president looks likely, or god help us at the end if 8 years of trump.

Again: you should've supported another candidate, Senator. It was the least he could've done, and he didn't step up when it counted.

Zolo

Again: you should've supported another candidate, Senator. It was the least he could've done, and he didn't step up when it counted.

Trump's still in office, so speaking up now (and providing action) still matters. It's only false when Trump's officially out of office.

Of course, he's only able to say this since he's retiring.

cameron

Courageous nodding in private.

NYT: Corker’s Blast at Trump Has Other Republicans Nodding in Agreement
The White House spent Monday morning telling its allies that Mr. Corker is responsible for the fight, not Mr. Trump, and that the senator was an attention-seeking obstructionist. But few of Mr. Trump’s allies accepted that narrative. One close associate of the president, who asked not to be identified to discuss the situation more candidly, said Mr. Trump’s entire agenda could be dead because Mr. Corker has a lot of friends on Capitol Hill.

But that does not mean other Senate Republicans will rush to the microphones to second Mr. Corker’s sentiments. In an interview with The New York Times on Sunday, Mr. Corker responded to a series of Twitter attacks on him by Mr. Trump. He said that the president was running the White House like it was “a reality show” and with bellicose threats that could set the nation “on the path to World War III.” Mr. Corker added that “every single day at the White House, it’s a situation of trying to contain him.”

Other Republican lawmakers, while privately nodding their heads, remained conspicuously silent on Monday morning, and many Senate Republicans no doubt were relieved not to be in session this week in Washington, where they would be intercepted in the hallways of the Capitol by reporters asking them to comment on Mr. Corker’s remarks.

“While it may really bother other Senate Republicans and it’s unnerving that one of their own is being attacked, most aren’t retiring and know they must still work with the White House in order to accomplish legislative goals like tax reform or eventually answer to frustrated voters,” said Ron Bonjean, a former top aide to Senate Republican leaders.
KAC:
The White House complained that Mr. Corker had been “insulting,” as Kellyanne Conway, the president’s counselor, put it on Monday morning. “I find tweets like this to be incredibly irresponsible,” she told Fox News. “It adds to the insulting that the mainstream media and the president detractors — almost a year after this election they still can’t accept the election results. It adds to their ability and their cover to speak about the president of the United States in ways that no president should be talked about.”

Mr. Corker, who may have found the no-guts tweet insulting, has plenty of Republicans agreeing with his point of view. But the ones who have acknowledged that publicly are those like former Senator Trent Lott of Mississippi, the onetime Republican leader in the Senate, who when asked by Politico how Mr. Trump was doing replied, “Not great. Too many problems with disasters and Congress.”

Mr. Lott, of course, is not running again. “Do most senators have their doubts about the president?” asked John Feehery, a longtime Republican congressional aide now working as a lobbyist in Washington. “That’s probably true, but also largely irrelevant. He’s the president, and they have to find ways to get stuff done with him. Otherwise, they face the wrath of the voters — something Bob Corker no longer worries about.”

Turtle:
PPCTdwE.jpg
https://twitter.com/ericawerner/status/917431896669409280

cameron

NZBZgZJ.png

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/917734186848579584

NYT: Trump Claims We Tricked Bob Corker. Here’s the Truth.
President Trump claimed on Twitter today that The Times “set Liddle’ Bob Corker up by recording his conversation.”

Mr. Trump was referring to our interview Sunday with Mr. Corker, the Tennessee Republican and chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, in which he said Mr. Trump was recklessly tempting “World War III,” treating the presidency “like he’s doing ‘The Apprentice’ or something” and required constant supervision by his own staff.

As the reporter who conducted the 25-minute telephone interview with Mr. Corker, I thought I would offer more insight about what actually transpired.

Far from being set up, Mr. Corker asked that I tape our conversation.

“I know they’re recording it, and I hope you are, too,” he said as two of his aides listened in on other lines, one of them also taping the interview.

As with most on-the-record discussion with an elected official, I was recording our conversation to ensure accuracy.
Audio in the link.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Big words Bob. You know what body we elect to stop the President if this is a risk? You still got buddies in the senate. Make some shit happen

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Has anyone joined him?

McConnell’s naked support is huge. One more senator joining him would be nuclear.

Futureman

what does "McConnell's naked support" mean?

LOL at Trump thinking the NYT recording an interview is "setting" someone up.

Sephzilla

I'm starting to think Republicans are just too stupid to realize they can have their cake and eat it. They can lose Trump and still control the government

Top Bottom