• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gothic 1 Remake | Showcase Trailer

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Before we can trust you, you'll first need to pass the TEST OF FAITH. Can you handle that?

Prepare yourself for a visit in the Old Mine, a dangerous place full of vicious creatures. Descend to the bottom and find Ian - he's your man. Tell him that Diego sent you. If you come back alive with the supplies list, we can talk about you joining us.

That's all you need to know... for now. Oh, and before you leave, ask Graham for a map. What are you waiting for? Get going!

Gothic 1 Remake is coming to PC, PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S.

All footage captured in-engine.

Allandor

Ok, the video does not show really much. The atmosphere in that video see s to be ok from what's in there. I really hope they can remake that game but I really have my doubts. Gothic 1 is still a quite good game if you can life with 2001 graphics and a horrible interface +controls :)
I still like it

Labadal

I want it to be good, byt they were way off the mark with the demo they released.

At least it looked that the mine was a 1:1 recreation from the first game.

For me, I will go in with pessinism, sprinkled with a tiny bit of hope.

Skifi28

Looks like nothing. I have no idea why they would choose to show this, it might have probably been better to not show anything.

I'm hyped. So many people in here downers.

At least someone is trying to remake a classic. One that was barely playable at the time with the shit controls.

One thing is our nameless hero better have his triangle ponytail or no buy (I kid, I will get this, big time Gothic fan)

Looks like nothing. I have no idea why they would choose to show this, it might have probably been better to not show anything.
Target audience is Gothic fans. As part of that audience, I liked the trailer because it was very true to the original while still looking modern. I hope they can pull it off.

Sentenza

The playable teaser they released a couple of years ago made A LOT of steps in the wrong direction, but I hope there's some truth in their successive claim that they ditched most of what was shown there to stick closer to the original.

I loved the first and Gothic 2 in particular may be up there as one of my top five (Action) RPGs ever made.

P.S. I hope the shitty For-Honor-inspired combat got the boot as well.

Last edited:

Labadal

They hired one of the guys that worked on Enderal (Skyrim total conversion mod).

It was the main rpg dude of that team. I hope his opinions will have some weight at this remake studio.

Filben

I'm highly sceptical, not only because I've been playing the original back and forth and know the game "like my best vest pocket" as we say in German, but because the Gothic series is still the benchmark for immersive, engaging and consequentially open world design; no level gating, no scaling, natural borders and difficulty zones, player skill that matters, character skill that matters, skills and attributes that makes you progress in strength noticeable and not only with infinitesimal small percentage increase, natural and breathing world with routines and behaviour independent from the player, a reactive world/environment that feels almost like an immersive sim but is an ARPG.

And I wonder if they gonna destroy all this because games 'have to' follow the UbiSOFT formula for open world games.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I've heard of the series, but never played before in my life. What's it like?

Fuz

Banned
I'm highly sceptical, not only because I've been playing the original back and forth and know the game "like my best vest pocket" as we say in German, but because the Gothic series is still the benchmark for immersive, engaging and consequentially open world design; no level gating, no scaling, natural borders and difficulty zones, player skill that matters, character skill that matters, skills and attributes that makes you progress in strength noticeable and not only with infinitesimal small percentage increase, natural and breathing world with routines and behaviour independent from the player, a reactive world/environment that feels almost like an immersive sim but is an ARPG.

And I wonder if they gonna destroy all this because games 'have to' follow the UbiSOFT formula for open world games.
It just needs a coat of paining, that's it.
But I'm sure they're gonna ruin it with a decentered camera and more "modern improvements".

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Talking a bit about the much loved Classic, Gothic 1, after finally taking the time to check out the title!

Timestamps
00:00 Intro
01:30 Getting It Running
02:37 The Controls
03:57 Story Set Up/Thoughts
06:56 Progression Systems & Magic
12:54 Power Curve
14:04 Camps/Factions
16:26 Worldbuilding
18:00 Combat
19:49 Steam Deck Compatibility
21:42 Positives/Negatives