• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOTHIC III

Oni Jazar

People are really harsh on it here. Its got some great quality. Seamless world with varied environments. Great music. Good quests. Non linear plot. The combat could use some more balancing. The biggest problem for me is that humanoids are much easier to defeat in combat then wildlife. That's a shame that will hopefully be fixed by the next patch.

clashfan

Wow, some of the reactions to Gothic III is really bad. That's too bad because Gothic II was one of my favorite RPG's.

Clevinger

Gothic 2 is great. Gothic 3 is a mess.

When SD finds this thread, he'll come in and tell you its an orgasm in video game form. Don't listen to him, he's a complete and utter fanboy.

-SD-

Banned
Clevinger said:
When SD finds this thread blaa, blaa, blaa...
Meh...

- - -

I like G3, but it has issues like dumb AI (making the game too easy and somewhat removes the "fear of enemies/dying" effect), boring Diablo-style left click fest combat and mostly soulless missions and characters. There isn't really individual characters you'd remember afterwards (like in the previous games), or a good gripping storyline. The game is not better than Gothic 2: NOTR or Gothic 1 but it's a good game nevertheless, despite the fact that it was forced to be put out unfinished, way before Piranha Bytes would have wanted to.

All in all Gothic 3 is more about quantity than quality of content but it's still definitely recommended and it is much cooler than most of the reviews and bashers lead you to think. To play it in high-res with all the bells and whistles you'll need a really powerful comp, though.

Here's some of my pics:

Clevinger

-SD- said:
Meh...

- - -

it has issues like dumb AI, boring Diablo-style left click fest combat and mostly soulless missions and characters, an insurmountable amount of bugs that makes in near unplayable (if not unplayable, then not worth playing), awful performance issues, and some ridiculously bad animation to boot.

To play it in high-res with all the bells and whistles you'll need a really powerful comp, though you really shouldn't need a computer that powerful for the level of visuals it gives.

I concur. It is kind of entertaining if you have a high tolerance to bad content, bugs, and performance. Just get Gothic 2.

Xenon

-SD- said:
Meh...

- - -

I like G3, but it has issues like dumb AI (making the game too easy and somewhat removes the "fear of enemies/dying" effect), boring Diablo-style left click fest combat and mostly soulless missions and characters. There isn't really individual characters you'd remember afterwards (like in the previous games), or a good gripping storyline. The game is not better than Gothic 2: NOTR or Gothic 1 but it's a good game nevertheless, despite the fact that it was forced to be put out unfinished, way before Piranha Bytes would have wanted to.

Thats a shame because GII had so much character. I will still end up buying this. Maybe when I can get the tech to run it at a decent fps cheap(3 years from now). The gothic series has always been better at creating a realistic world IMO. I'll play the game just for that.

How does the game handle character classes? Can you be a jack of all trades like Oblivion? Or do they make you join a group like in G2? I actually prefer a more structured class system.

-SD-

Banned
FoxSpirit said:
How powerful is your "really powerful"?
No GF8800 (not yet: waiting for Crysis) but here's my current setup: http://personal.inet.fi/atk/kjh2348fs/comp.html

With that I can play G3 @ 1600x1200 with all the in-game details maxed out (don't like the Depth Of Field so that is disabled) plus some ge3.ini enchancements like 3x grass distance, double the high-res textures distance, low poly rendering disabled and such. There's some little hiccups and sometimes bigger ones but never anything major.

Top Bottom