• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOW multiplayer.im getting lazy and old?

Zer0

Banned
Im on my 30s,i have spend a lot of time on games like graw,cod2,cod,medal of honor,quake,and every fps know to man,with good results

but man,wtf its happening with me and gears of war multiplayer? everytime i try to play i get owned like a old lady in the middle of a barfight,no matter what i tried i end whith a chainsaw on my ass or a boot on my mouth,if i try to play on cover mode ( more secure more tactical) i get owned,if i try to play on all guns blazing mode,owned again,no moatter what i do i got owned on every game,i barely score kills on a lot of games,the onlye good matchs i have done were with the cog side,my locust experience was a disaster ( they are the same no? just stetical difference)

anyone have the same problem?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Success comes in waves. U can't play it too safe, or be too aggressive. I know last night I was stinking it up for a while, 'til what I thought was some guaranteed pussy called and cancelled on me. I was heated for a moment and fell into a zone. Got a rack of kills in a few short rounds as a result.

The game should have bots tho. No excuse for that. That's a microstransaction I'd be willing to pay for in fact.

Anyway, the game forces you to play smart. Play smart.

Zer0 said:
Im on my 30s,i have spend a lot of time on games like graw,cod2,cod,medal of honor,quake,and every fps know to man,with good results

but man,wtf its happening with me and gears of war multiplayer? everytime i try to play i get owned like a old lady in the middle of a barfight,no matter what i tried i end whith a chainsaw on my ass or a boot on my mouth,if i try to play on cover mode ( more secure more tactical) i get owned,if i try to play on all guns blazing mode,owned again,no moatter what i do i got owned on every game,i barely score kills on a lot of games,the onlye good matchs i have done were with the cog side,my locust experience was a disaster ( they are the same no? just stetical difference)

anyone have the same problem?
you can't play it like an FPS. stick with it and you'll start getting a feel for it... and yes locust are just aesthetically different.

It does just take some time to get use to things. I was sucking big time at first and I would say I'm only now average but there is a steep learning curve from single player to multiplayer.

The multiplayer plays like a mix of Ghost Recon and a more arcade shooter and while that is obvious, sometimes it's not so obvious how you should approach situations. I still sometimes struggle with my balance between being aggressive and passive. If you have numbers however you definitely should be aggressive. It doesn't really pay to hang back and just trade long distance fire with someone unless you have them in a crossfire or you have numbers. You can't just kill them from long distance with machine gun fire because of the Halo style health meter.

Obviously goes for every game but playing as a team or going together in 2 man squads and communicating is critical. In Halo even in a 2 on 1 situation, if you were a superstar you could sometimes get out of it. In GOW 2 on 1 if you know what you are doing should be instant death. One guy is nailing him from a distance while the other player is helping with fire or moving in close for a close-up kill.

We should turn this into a GOW multiplayer tips thread.

Pro Tip: In close quarters situations Blind Fire is your friend.

h1nch

I'm in the same boat. I've only played a few matches but my record is something like 5 kills and 24 deaths. :lol

I'm used to having instant success at online shooters, so its a bit frustrating. But I'm sure all it takes is practice.

It's an Epic game. In those, you need skill and knowledge to win. That's why they are better than most other games online.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Knowing the maps well really make the difference. That and teamwork.

Dude, your team makes the game what it is. Seriously. I've gotten 4 kills in a round without any help from my cannon-fodder teammates, but you can only do that against the new players. Really, just try to get some friends who are smart and play with them a lot. They'll have your back and you'll get to be a better player for it.

Add me: I'm Uno Ill Nino

Just remember that its all about not letting them know where you are so you can get angles on them or sneak right up with the melees/chainsaws. Play it like you would paintball. :)

Tieno

Another tip: When you see the Cliffy videos from E3 and X06 you see him always aiming at the legs, the Locust stumble or fall down because of that and this makes it easier to finish them. Don't know if this works in mp as I don't have the game (yet).

Zer0

Banned
:Motorbass said:
It's an Epic game. In those, you need skill and knowledge to win. That's why they are better than most other games online.

sorry but no,i have played unreal to death and im very good at online games,those need skill and knowledge too dude..

have you messed around with the controller sensitivity? sometimes i tend to overshoot when i'm trying to aim so i dial down the sensitivity to low, works well for long range battles.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I've gotten pretty freakin good at the multiplayer. The trick is to... wait for it... work together!

I'm not trying to be cheeky... let me explain. The teams that win are the teams that FLANK. My partners and I got into a groove where if we encountered the enemy, they would lay down some fire to distract them, while I went around to the right or left of them.

Then I'd either close in and get them with the shotgun (since they couldn't see me), or poke at them with my rifle until they went down (since their cover wasn't protecting them from my angle.

More than once I've killed THREE enemy team members, one after the other, by just coming at them from an angle they weren't expecting/couldn't see. I've even killed entire teams, before.

You always always always need to do whatever you can to ensure that your team has the "angle advantage." Your team needs to be attacking THEM from more than one angle, and not vice versa. The more angles you attavk from, the less viable choices of cover they have.

You really gotta play with the team. I'm pretty bad at it too, because i'm kinda of a loner in multiplayer games, but in this one you will just die constantly. Stick together with the team.

Top Bottom