• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GQ: Mueller assembling a murderer's row of prosecutors

As Donald Trump and company continue their audacious plan to humiliate each and every American with their constant incompetence, one man is pushing to find the truth about the president and his cronies' connections to Russia and their clumsy, foolish, shockingly transparent attempts to cover up any wrongdoing. That man is Robert Mueller, the special counsel appointed by the Justice Department to lead the investigation, and a new story from Politico paints an interesting portrait of the team Mueller is assembling. In fact, I'm pretty sure, if I were Donald Trump, that this news of this team would make me very, very nervous.

He already has picked three former colleagues from his last job as a partner at the Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale & Dorr law firm: Aaron Zebley, who also was Mueller's FBI chief of staff; Jeannie Rhee, a former DOJ attorney; and Quarles, who got his start in Washington some four decades ago as an assistant Watergate prosecutor.

But Mueller's biggest hire to date was [Andrew] Weissmann, who is taking a leave from his current post leading the Justice Department's criminal fraud section. The two men have a long history together at the FBI, where Weissmann served as both the bureau's general counsel from 2011 to 2013 and as Mueller's special counsel in 2005. Weissmann's prosecution record includes overseeing the investigations into more than 30 people while running the Enron Task Force, including CEOs Kenneth Lay and Jeffrey Skilling. And while working in the U.S. attorney's office in the eastern district of New York, he tried more than 25 cases involving members of the Genovese, Colombo and Gambino crime families.

Imagine being a president and a corrupt businessman who potentially is at the head of an immense conspiracy. Your life is full of paranoia. You don't know whom to trust. The people around you are constantly trying to manipulate you. You're out of your depth in most meetings. The media won't stop talking about the scandal you're at the center of, but you hope against hope that you'll wake up tomorrow and it'll just go away.
And then you find out the guys who are investigating you are people who have literally brought down presidents and corrupt businessmen. That's the situation our president finds himself in now. And if we've learned anything from the past two years of Donald Trump's political career, it's that there's nothing this guy handles worse than pressure. I have no doubt that we're only days away from a Twitter rant about how these guys are losers who should be deported for being FAKE NEWS or something equally stupid.

More here:
http://www.gq.com/story/robert-mueller-russia-investigation-team

Original source:
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/06/mueller-russia-probe-trump-239163

abw12og.gif

DOWN

Banned
I expect nothing to happen to Trump but I hope his family and colleagues get caught left and right for their behavior

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

LOL

Yeah, I'm sure Mueller would be doing this if there weren't actual crimes involved.

My guess is Sessions, Kushner, and Flynn get tossed under the bus by Trump so he saves his own hide.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Murderer's row of prosecutors vs. A conspiracy of morons, I wonder how this will go.

liquidtmd

Banned
Day two of investigation: Trump tries to have Mueller arrested or something? I dunno.

Day five, he drops his trousers and writes Covfefe on his legs?

My guess is Sessions, Kushner, and Flynn get tossed under the bus by Trump so he saves his own hide.

The problem is, if he tosses them under the bus, why would they continue to be loyal to him? Someone is going to flip to gain immunity, that's how this thing goes straight to the top.

I am not going to go so far as to say I believe in that dossier, or read Mensch/Taylor tweets and take them seriously. I don't. But it does seem interesting to me that Mueller is picking prosecutors that specialize in RICO and accounting fraud (aka laundering), and that Trump's main personal lawyer ALSO is known for defending in RICO cases.

I expect nothing to happen to Trump but I hope his family and colleagues get caught left and right for their behavior

LOL

Yeah, I'm sure Mueller would be doing this if there weren't actual crimes involved.

Is this the new phase of 'nothing will happen'?

'Nothing will happen'
'Nothing will happen to Trump, but his associates/family will fall' <---
'Nothing will happen to the soul and spirit of Trump, even though his physical manifestation will fall.'
'Nothing will happen to the philosophical concept of 'Trump', even though the person will fall.'

liquidtmd

Banned
Anyone ever see the Red Dwarf episode where Rimmer chucks Lister, the Cat and Kryten in quarantine under the pretence he's playing it by the book after exposure to a potential crazy virus.

The crew methodically try to go through the rule book and eventually Kryten thinks of a technical loophole to nail Rimmer logically. They present it to him and...there's no point, Rimmer's already gone mad

tenor.gif

I've no idea why that came to my head reading this.

Blader

I don't think Trump could survive politically if he pardons one or more of his associates.

I really don't know how much political survival is a part of his calculus. He fired the FBI director investigating his campaign and then admitted as much on TV two days later! His winning the election has completely fucked up his perceptions of political survival, because he endured many scandals that candidates normally shouldn't survive and then won at the end of it. In his mind, any of that conventional wisdom is bullshit to be ignored and any polls showing how unpopular he is are fake news.

It's also a moot point if none of this comes to a head until after 2020. If he's re-elected, what does he care about political survival?

There will be indictments and people will go to jail. I just don't think Trump will be one of them.

In terms of the Russia probe, I agree. As far as obstruction of justice goes... well, I don't really see Trump being walked out in handcuffs either, but at the same time, that's an investigation placed squarely on him, with no one to deflect to or throw under the bus. So I guess we'll see.

CHC

I can't imagine Trump getting out unscathed, the main reason being that he is such an unpleasant asshole. Like, personally speaking, no one likes him aside from maybe his own children. People are going to be eager to rat on a man who will gladly throw anyone else under the bus before he gets the chance to fuck them first.

gutshot

Is there a reason you posted the GQ story, even including them in the thread title, when it's just a repost of a Politico article?

They do a lot of great journalism. It's not just a fashion magazine.

Maybe, but this isn't an example of their great journalism. It's just them reposting what Politico reported on.

We lookin at a criminal syndicate now

That underlined sentence makes it seem like they looking into that stuff for sure. Why else hire someone who has experience in that kinda topic imo.

Yeah, it seems like he's putting together a team that's designed to bring down an entire criminal organization - not necessarily a small group of people

IIRC Comey was asked yesterday if the investigation had morphed into being about more than just the election and he replied "I can't comment on that," so that might be true.

Top Bottom