• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Grain of Salt] Dragon Age Origins Remake in the works at Bioware

Draugoth

Gold Member
GDZutIkXYAAcAkG.jpg:large

A 4chan leaker with doubtable veracity has claimed that a remake of 2009’s Dragon Age: Origins is in the works at BioWare. The leaker, who claims they are an alpha tester for the game, says the remake will be titled “Dragon Age: Reorigins”. They also shared a screenshot of some artwork which contained the title. They claim it will be a 1:1 remake akin to last year’s Dead Space remake, with changes focussing on gameplay design rather than the game’s story. They say that the main aim of the remake is to have “insane branching paths for player choices” that existed in the original game.

NsUE7q4.jpg

Source

Last edited:

Mowcno

"-Game production is very advanced, mostly missing are textures.-Currently scheduled for Q2 2025.
-Bioware needs the game to sell "dozens" of millions which is why it's taking so long."

Both of these statements make me wary of this information. The game is mostly finished apart from textures? Pretty sure it's not often textures are the last thing to be done. Also the reason development is taking a long time wouldn't be because they need to sell "dozens of millions" if anything it'd be the exact opposite. Because development is taking so long they need to sell "dozens of millions" to recoup the costs would be a statement that makes more sense.

stn

Origins is one of my favorite games ever, I am sooooooo down for this. Please be true! That promo art looks legitimate.

splattered

I would happily take a DAO remake if it was done well.

The ending was frustrating in that it locked to your party once you got to the final battle and you couldnt change it if you couldnt beat the ending... i beat it but my wife didnt know she wouldnt be able to change up her party so she never beat it.

If they make the overall game better and fix crap like the above i would buy it for sure.

Hugare

I normally would go "4chan, lol", but that "leaked" image looks good enough ("reorigins", tho ...)

Juicy DA Dreadwolf details.
Good luck on that dozens of millions EA execs expecting the game to sell. Ending the series is about time because once it underperforms the ip will be capital Dormant.

Sentenza

DAO is a better RPG than BG3.
Hahaha, not even remotely.
The game had tons of issues even back then, starting from a garbage amateurish ruleset and a depressing lack of variety in its core mechanics (you could deal with pretty much ANY enemy in the game using the same exact strategies).

And I say this as someone who had a lot to criticize across three years of EA for BG3 and who's far from deluding himself into thinking that the Larian game is perfect.

The visuals in this game were really dated even when it released. A remake would be amazing.
Well, assumking the visuals would be subject to a significant revamp, which is not necessarily a given.
It could be the usual pseudo-remaster with just better textures and a bunch of minor touches.

Last edited:
Now Dragon Age really is the new shit.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Doubt it. Origins doesnt really have much of a connection with Dread Wolf other than a few characters prolly showing up like Leliana.

StereoVsn

Origins is one of my favorite games ever, I am sooooooo down for this. Please be true! That promo art looks legitimate.
You just know they will apply the ugly filter to Morrington. And insert various modern social messages.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Well, assumking the visuals would be subject to a significant revamp, which is not necessarily a given.
It could be the usual pseudo-remaster with just better textures and a bunch of minor touches.

The wording is “remake”, not “remaster” though.

Ogbert

‘A grain of salt’ would be quite a good name for an RPG.

You could have a sequel called ‘A pound of shit’.

Last edited:

stn

The more I think about it, I'm calling real on this rumor. I mentioned it earlier but that promo art for the remake looks real (if its a fake, I give kudos for the effort and time spent). Logically, I just can't see why an anonymous leaker would put the effort into making a fake photo just for the sake of a rumor.

Let's see what happens.

EDIT: Also, I'm not more skeptical of the rumor because its a 4chan post. As an example, Mortal Kombat 1 had everything leaked on 4chan a long time before it launched, and people called fake until we found it was all real.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
The more I think about it, I'm calling real on this rumor. I mentioned it earlier but that promo art for the remake looks real (if its a fake, I give kudos for the effort and time spent). Logically, I just can't see why an anonymous leaker would put the effort into making a fake photo just for the sake of a rumor.

Let's see what happens.

EDIT: Also, I'm not more skeptical of the rumor because its a 4chan post. As an example, Mortal Kombat 1 had everything leaked on 4chan a long time before it launched, and people called fake until we found it was all real.

The Roadmap from Lords of The Fallen was leaked on 4chan

Last edited:

CamHostage

1. Get Dreadwolf fucking done already

Rumor feels bogus, but if "ReOrgins" is happening, I would assume an external studio is heavily involved if not handling the redo under Bioware supervision while gets done the project it's future actually depends on. Even if they have A/B studio structure going, they have both new Dragon Age and Mass Effect titles in some stage of development.

Last edited:

xVodevil

Weirdly enough I'm already on my DAO playtrough for some days now as I've decided it shall be fitting as my first game for the year (of the dragon) :D
Never got to finish, on my first time abandoned for some reason like halfway some 10 years ago..

I would be much more likely to buy a remake of Origins than Dreadwolf. Inquisition killed any remaining interest I had in the universe.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
"Plays like Inquisition with improved combat/UI" is interesting, because that sounds totally unlike rumors from before. I really hope that Bioware are in fact not removing party control, but time will tell.

simpatico

Easier than making a new one I guess. Problem is, the old ones holds up just fine. You don't need to add more detail to that kind of CRPG.

Sentenza

"Plays like Inquisition with improved combat/UI" is interesting, because that sounds totally unlike rumors from before. I really hope that Bioware are in fact not removing party control, but time will tell.
It's also somewhat jarring because I fucking despise the combat system used in Inquisition.

Mister Wolf

DAO is a better RPG than BG3.

Nobody likes or wants real-time with pause anymore. Even Owlcat and Obsidian finally took the hint. In their respective games WOTR and POA2 they opted to include both turn based and RTWP. Guaranteed in their next isometric RPGs they won't even bother including RTWP.

Stuart360

Nobody likes or wants real-time with pause anymore. Even Owlcat and Obsidian finally took the hint. In their respective games WOTR and POA2 they opted to include both turn based and RTWP. Guaranteed in their next isometric RPGs they won't even bother including RTWP.
Wolf i'd be all over BG3 if it real time combat. I cant stand turn based combat, and i'll never play BG3 because of it.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Wolf i'd be all over BG3 if it real toime combat. I cant stand turn based combat, and i'll never play BG3 because of it.

We can be friends, but we're on opposite sides of the picket line with the one haha. I despise RTWP. Just looks like chaos going on, on the screen. The last one I enjoyed was Dragon Age Inquisition. I've always wanted to play Pillars Of Eternity 1 but they foolishly opted not to add a turn based mode. They fixed that with 2, but 2 is a direct sequel to 1, picking up right after it. Poor decision making by Obsidian.

Last edited:
Top Bottom