• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue The Official Thread of Glorious Cockpit View

Bulla564 said:
I have to ask...

Is it me or does the game look better when the PS3 is set to output at 720p instead of 1080p?

I have a 1080p 42" Sony XBR2, and I sit about 7 feet away from it. When the PS3 is set at 1080p, most edges of the cars (especially with lighting) are a jaggy flickering mess.

720p fixes this for me.

Is this normal?

It would suck to have to switch output for my PS3 every time I switch from game to Blu-ray just for GT5P.
1080p looks way better than 720p on my 42" Samsung set. There is a little shimmer in garage view, but other than that it's super clean.

DeadGzuz said:
720P has 4x AA vs 2x AA in 1080P mode. I don't see the "jaggy flickering mess" you do, the game looks damn nice. I will try 720P mode soon and see how well it looks.
No way this game has 4xAA... iirc it is 2xAA in 720p and no AA in 1080p.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Bulla564 said:
I have to ask...

Is it me or does the game look better when the PS3 is set to output at 720p instead of 1080p?

I have a 1080p 42" Sony XBR2, and I sit about 7 feet away from it. When the PS3 is set at 1080p, most edges of the cars (especially with lighting) are a jaggy flickering mess.

720p fixes this for me.

Is this normal?

It would suck to have to switch output for my PS3 every time I switch from game to Blu-ray just for GT5P.

same here in my Sony Bravia KLV 32'' , at 720p the game look like sex , at 1080i it's still good but not like 720p .

Guy Legend

Online events are updated. Happened as I was playing, got out of a race and back to the menu and suddenly all events had ended. Clearing the cache revealed an all new set of events. Looks like these are good till the 15th.

so finally the game updated the events. now you can race online with the F1.

in related bragging news, this time i wasn't shunted by a cheater and managed to win one of the time trial events. the daytona road on, pro mode and 600pp

i was curious to see what yoy win... and you get nothing!

cheap bastards, not even a single credit in the game.

just bragging rights:D

btw, finally messed around with the F1, after the event update. now looking at time trial times in suzuka, GT is overexagerating a bit. i already have a 1'27'688, with some mistakes. thats like 5 seconds faster than real life right? so the car should be a bit slower.

other than that, i still haven't tested the actual races, so i don't know if they changed the reagion lock thing, as some people were debating over at GTP.

but they should. having the japanese version is a pain now, nobody is online. they should at least allow us to play with the NA people

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
yo bitches :D

Shipping Details : (order will arrive in 1 shipment)
Order #: Shipping Method: One-Day Shipping
Shipping Preference: I want my items faster. Ship them as they become available.
Subtotal of Items: $244.98
Shipping & Handling: $3.99
------
Total for this Order: $248.97

Delivery estimate: May 2, 2008 1 "Logitech G25 Racing Wheel"
Electronics; $244.98

Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC

tomorrow , fucking tomorrow friday the freaking 2nd .

now i need to fool someone to buy my pathatic Driving Force GT for good price cuz i bought it just a month ago ( for GT5p ) for $150 .

Esperado

Totobeni said:
yo bitches :D

tomorrow , fucking tomorrow friday the freaking 2nd .

now i need to fool someone to buy my pathatic Driving Force GT for good price cuz i bought it just a month ago ( for GT5p ) for $150 .

Congrats, I just got my G25 a couple days ago and I'm loving it. I played almost the whole game with a controller and playing with a wheel is definitely a hundred times better. I just love to demo the cars. I was wondering though, what's wrong with the DFGT?

Someone please help me!!!!

I did something stupid!! I was trying to beat S4 with my Mine's Skyline, and then gave up to try the S6 race (F40), I bought the F40 and then realized I forgot to turn the 'auto save' off! I did beat the S6 race with the F40 but now I'm stuck with only 4k left.

What do I do? I tried the S4 race with the F40, but it has terrible braking and doesn't suit the track well. I've got the Mine's skyline with all power reduced to hit 630points. I've lowered the car a bit and adjusted the gear ratio so that I can take the turns in 3rd gear. This car feels better than the F40 for this track, but I'm losing big time on the straights.

Can someone please post their Mine's Skyline settings for the S4 race? I can't buy another tuned car without racing for hours. I will though if the Elise 111r will work here. But I'm hoping to beat it with the Mine's. Any help?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Esperado said:
Congrats, I just got my G25 a couple days ago and I'm loving it. I played almost the whole game with a controller and playing with a wheel is definitely a hundred times better. I just love to demo the cars. I was wondering though, what's wrong with the DFGT?

well , first it's full of cheap plastic ( G25 has leather/Aluminum pedals wheel spoke and paddle shifters ) cheap look and full of buttons on the wheel , uncomfortable and unremovable shifter stick with only + or - and no real "H-pattern" 6 speed ( the stick on it it feel funky ) , and yeah there is no fucking clutch .

Driving Force GT is fucking joke , waste of $150 , it's the 2nd best option tho yet it's pure crap .

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I got it for free with my PS3:D

There's no way to just rotate the camera around the car as I want in the showroom?:|

marwan

Banned
any luck with the update guys? i've had the ame for over a month and still no luck with the update. i did manage to get rid of the time error message by setting the date in the PS3 to SET TIME VIA THE INTERNET. but now im trying to download and nothing is happening. any tips guys? :(

do mode 1 or 2 make a difference? tried both but still no use :(

marwan

Banned
WTF!!! why can't this retarded update be available on the PSstore? downloading this shit is I-M-P-O-S-S-I-B-L-E-!!!!

Goldrusher

Have you tried getting it via the news section ?
Behind a router ? NAT 2 hopefully ? UPnP enabled ?
Wired connection ?

If everything fails, try connecting the machine directly to a modem.

marwan

Banned
Goldrusher said:
Have you tried getting it via the news section ?
Behind a router ? NAT 2 hopefully ? UPnP enabled ?
Wired connection ?

If everything fails, try connecting the machine directly to a modem.

what do you mean news section?

im connected to a rdsl modem/router(inone), no security, firewall dissabled, NAT 2 and UPnP both enabled?

and yes it's a wired connection.

any suggestions? please? :(

i read on some site you need to open up ports on the router....i'm so clueless when it comes to router ports, check this thread out:

http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=74303

h3ro

Anyone know where I can get some good setups for the F40? I'm stuck on S6 as it just keeps understeering through the Esses and I get rammed by the computer which then decides to give me a penalty because getting rammed off the road wasn't enough... >:l

tha_con

Banned
Kintaro said:
I'm thinking about picking this up next week, however I took a look at Gametrailer's review.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/33541.html

Is this review pretty accurate?

It's hit and miss. Shameful that the guy (who is generally fairly accurate) doesn't understand what the word Prologue means, apparently, and that he also fails to acknowledge that a plethora of full priced racers don't feature as much content as GT5P.

It's definitely NOT 4xaa in 720p. Warhawk has 4xAA. Just compare that with GT5. Warhawk has near non-existent aliasing, while they're noticeable in GT5. Also, it's fairly easy to tell with just my eyes anyways, being the avid PC gamer that I am. /smug grin

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Ether_Snake said:
There's no way to just rotate the camera around the car as I want in the showroom?:|
That's quite honestly the most puzzling omission in this game. It would have taken all of maybe 5 minutes of extra programming to implement this. The only logical explanation is that they didn't want you to be able to move camera around.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Finally got my copy.

The install + the update is absolute bullshit.

But I got into a race....and it's just so right. OMG.

I just did an online race. that is some busted shit. i can't believe they released a product like that. The Japanese racers were very polite but I was bumped multiple times by this Canadian driver. I'd prefer it if there was no contact at all.

To single player I go.

marwan

Banned
why can't they incorporate the update in the discs now that the update is out? that way people don't have to download it.

kindda like how Windows XP CDs come with SP2 now.

Goldrusher

marwan said:
News section... Skip the update after / before the intro, then go to NEWS in the menu screen.

Raist said:
I thought it was 2X on 720p and no AA on 1080p

I'm pretty sure it's like this:

game 720p = 1280x720, 4XAA
game 1080p = 1280x1080, 2XAA
menu = 1920x1080, no AA

TheKurgan

Y2Kev said:
Finally got my copy.

The install + the update is absolute bullshit.

But I got into a race....and it's just so right. OMG.

I just did an online race. that is some busted shit. i can't believe they released a product like that. The Japanese racers were very polite but I was bumped multiple times by this Canadian driver. I'd prefer it if there was no contact at all.

To single player I go.

I was going to play last night but the install + update took forever! The update failed twice which really pissed me off.

Anyway I on playing agian - what is the best car to buy at the begining??

Esperado

Just got a G25 last week, my first driving wheel ever and I was wondering about some of the force feedback. First of all, is there some place where I can read about how this stuff works? I'm very curious to how they do the wheel resistance and stuff. Second thing is whenever I'm turning slightly at around 50+ mph I get a grinding feeling from the wheel, is this something normal? Last of all, I was wondering how durable the wheels are. How long should I expect the wheel to last?

http://blip.tv/file/876795
Also wanted to put a link to this review for the DFGT on here. It's made by the guys at Inside Sim Racing. They are a hardcore lot that plays mainly PC sims online competitively so such a great review almost makes me want to return the G25 and get that, but the pedals pretty much made my mind.

bj00rn

Banned
borsdy said:
Right on the money, I kind of feel silly that this was the game that pushed me into getting a ps3 ;/

me too... yes the review is accurate imo, good looking sleek waste of money. i'm still looking forward to gt5 though.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
marwan said:

im connected to a rdsl modem/router(inone), no security, firewall dissabled, NAT 2 and UPnP both enabled?

and yes it's a wired connection.

any suggestions? please? :(

i read on some site you need to open up ports on the router....i'm so clueless when it comes to router ports, check this thread out:

http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=74303
Why cant i download this fucking update via PC.

I have upgraded my router(not because of this) and my PS3 is DMZ'ed on the router, i download from the PS store just fine but the best i have gotten is like 1% on the update.
Wireless, dont really have an option to plug it in via ethernet.

marwan

Banned
Goldrusher said:
News section... Skip the update after / before the intro, then go to NEWS in the menu screen.

I'm pretty sure it's like this:

game 720p = 1280x720, 4XAA
game 1080p = 1280x1080, 2XAA
menu = 1920x1080, no AA

thanks!

is opening router ports important for the update?

FightyF

Banned
tha_con said:
and that he also fails to acknowledge that a plethora of full priced racers don't feature as much content as GT5P.

Heh, besides Motorstorm, I'm hard pressed to find others.

Recently got it, got to play a little bit of it on my SDTV (just more convenient for my wheel setup, which I can't put in front of my projector as it blocks some of it, I usually have a spot for it but that's being taken up by some other stuff...gotta re-arrange it). Got golds on my first try on all A events EXCEPT for the one that required you to draft to get a record lap time...I really hope those sorts of events are kept to a minimum as I can see myself trying to even get bronze for them at higher levels and just finding it frustrating as you'll have to draft everyone for all their worth. Those sorts of events at the S class would be hell, I'm guessing.

Is there any way of comparing my times on the tracks with my friends? I didn't see it on the track selection screen, I'm guessing it's in the leaderboard area then, but I only see the top 20, I have to go through the manual for all these other features I guess.

am i the only one who really enjoys the online portion of this game? i have only been intentionally spun out by one little fucker but other than that i've had pretty fair races.

i gave up on s class. just trying to buy every single car in the game now.

Gran Turismo (PlayStation)
Total: 10.85 million
North America: 3.99 million
Europe: 4.30 million
Japan: 2.55 million
Asia: 100,000

Gran Turismo 2 (PlayStation)
Total: 9.37 million
North America: 3.96 million
Europe: 3.68 million
Japan: 1.71 million
Asia: 200,000

Gran Turismo 3 A-spec (PS2)
Total: 14.89 million
North America: 7.14 million
Europe: 5.85 million
Japan: 1.89 million
Asia: 100,000

Gran Turismo Concept 2001 Tokyo (PS2)
Total: 1.56 million
North America: N/A
Europe: 1.00 million
Japan: 430,000
Asia: 130,000

Gran Turismo 4 Prologue (PS2)
Total: 1.36 million
North America: N/A
Europe: 410,000
Japan: 790,000
Asia: 160,000

Gran Turismo 4 (PS2)
Total: 10.06 million
North America: 2.90 million
Europe: 5.77 million
Japan: 1.24 million
Asia: 150,000

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (PS3)
Total: 2.23 million
North America: 550,000
Europe: 1.38 million
Japan: 270,000
Asia: 30,000

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/872/872853p1.html

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
SolidSnakex said:

Late to this, but DAMN look at that! It crushed GT4P and it still is going fairly strong.

Anyways, tomorrow's my birthday guys and I decided with some extra cash I'm going to be ordering my wheel officially. I noticed some prices have changed, but have you heard any deals or anything? What's the best way to go about ordering this thing. G25 by the way.

msdstc said:
Late to this, but DAMN look at that! It crushed GT4 and it still is going fairly strong.

Anyways, tomorrow's my birthday guys and I decided with some extra cash I'm going to be ordering my wheel officially. I noticed some prices have changed, but have you heard any deals or anything? What's the best way to go about ordering this thing. G25 by the way.

You mean it crushed GT4P

Top Bottom