• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 8 may be in development per Yamauichi tease

Varteras

Gold Member

Kazunori Yamauchi, the CEO of developer Polyphony Digital, has indicated that Gran Turismo 8 is already in the works in a recent interview.
In an interview with Japanese outlet Game Watch, Yamauchi responds to a question about whether he thinks there’s anything that the Gran Turismo series hasn’t been able to achieve yet with modern hardware or elements.
"Actually, there is a theme. I’m starting to run towards the next one, but I can’t tell you yet. It’s a pity that I can’t talk much (laughs)."

Yamauchi also talks about PSVR2 and how he thinks it will impact the genre. This obviously isn't much to go off of but I'm a little surprised we're talking about GT8 already as GT7 isn't even a year old yet. I'm curious if the plan is to try to get another GT out before the gen is over or if GT8 is being prepped as a launch title for next gen.

Here is the link to the interview. It's in Japanese so turn those translators on. Well, most of us.

Klik

I hope physics and force feedback will finally be more realistic.

I'm a huge GT fan but to be completely honest since i bought PC few months ago i can't stop playing Assetto Corsa. The physics, force feedback, tyre feel, grip feel, road feel ohhh its so amazing

Nemesisuuu

I'm a huge GT fan but to be completely honest since i bought PC few months ago i can't stop playing Assetto Corsa. The physics, force feedback, tyre feel, grip feel, road feel ohhh its so amazing
I'll always be GT fan, but (that goddamn but XD) I had similar sentiment since the days I played GTR2 and rFactor on PC. Disappointment when GT5 finally released was biggest I had in my gaming career, but that one is on me since I didn't keep expectations in check. GT is always gonna have to cater to the masses and that's the way it is.

Main gripe I have with GT physics is it always feels kinda 'wooden', like there is still some code from first GT running underneath. It's strange, while it's a con, it's also a pro - since it gives that unmistakable GT feel.

Still - I'll love the series till I die, same goes for the Forza Motorsport series which also has it's own blemishes. And I equally love to play them both for what they are.

On sim side of things, when I have the time I like to turn on rFactor 2 lately.

Naked Lunch

Of course its in development...
we'll just have to wait a decade to play it.

Or maybe they will go the PS3 GT route and actually come thru with multiple titles on one console.

Markio128

Based on GT7 and the focus on the history of the automobile industry, I reckon GT8 will have a single player mode where you race in vehicles from the early 20th century and make your way to present day.

mansoor1980

but I can’t tell you yet. It’s a pity that I can’t talk much (laughs).

9ypMH.gif

Gt5 was in 2010
Gt6 was in 2013
Gt Sport released in 2017
& Gt7 released in 2022

If we follow a schedule like that, the average time between releases is between 3-4.5 years. So going by that, Gt8 should be in 2025-2026, but judging by the fact that we'll be getting Gt7 VR a few weeks from now,I'd wager it's the latter rather than the former.

As much as I like the premium feel and look I find the actual racing and especially the ugly ass tracks (visually) extremely boring. It's catered too much towards E-Sports. For me it's not a fun racer. I'd rather play something like The Crew or Forza Horizon with great vistas.

HTK

Banned
What comes after 7….8 guys 8.

Im expecting GT8 to be a RayTracing powerhouse. This PSVR2 and GT7 combo is nice man, I’d like to demo it before purchasing.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I honestly think they should do a ps5 only upgrade of gt7 in a year. Then release 8 on ps6.

Raven117

Gold Member

Yup. ACC is amazing for the actual feel of driving.

Tommi84

Gt5 was in 2010
Gt6 was in 2013
Gt Sport released in 2017
& Gt7 released in 2022

If we follow a schedule like that, the average time between releases is between 3-4.5 years.
Wot?
GT6 was released 3 years after last
GT sports was released 4 years after last
GT7was released 5 years after last

It's easy to see the patern. GT8 will release in 2028 :D

/A bit of a joke post

Three

Interviewer:――From an amateur's point of view, "GT7" seems to have achieved all the necessary elements of a driving simulator. However, is there anything you would like to achieve in the future, such as things that can't be achieved with modern hardware or elements that are still lacking in "Gran Turismo"?

Mr. Yamauchi: Actually, there is a theme. I'm starting to run towards the next one, but I can't tell you yet. It's a pity that I can't talk much (laughs).

I'm not sure this is even alluding to GT8 but that would obviously come at some point. Seems like he is talking about the element or "theme". Could just be an update for some feature.

Last edited:

The Fartist

Gold Member
As much as I like the premium feel and look I find the actual racing and especially the ugly ass tracks (visually) extremely boring. It's catered too much towards E-Sports. For me it's not a fun racer. I'd rather play something like The Crew or Forza Horizon with great vistas.
So, smart_brazileiro likes dumb_racers. Who am I to judge, though, I'm stupid and I "honor my user name".

Top Bottom