• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo sounds are significantly improved (!) in latest beta

ironcreed

Banned
iokdiz.gif

Just gorgeous. Sounds rather nice as well.

xrnzaaas

Yep it's improved but still quite a lot behind Assetto Corsa or Project CARS. I think they can be satisfied with the current state and move on to more pressing matters like the damage/collision model (and proper singleplayer ;p).

Fredrik

Much better!
Still too weak though, lack the punch, doesn't sound powerful enough imo.
Graphically it's insane though!

Ardenyal

Yep it's improved but still quite a lot behind Assetto Corsa or Project CARS. I think they can be satisfied with the current state and move on to more pressing matters like the damage/collision model (and proper singleplayer ;p).

Overblown sounds are not good either. Lots of games hollywood it up.

Audioboxer

Looks awesome until I look at the people and the trees. They definitely hired forza devs.

Trees and people I can handle being sacrificed for 60FPS.

On topic, finally some better sounds. Some of the garbage that's been going around for years was beyond a joke.

Norns

I see. Well whatever it is, its drowning out the engine sound that you can hear clearly in the real car video.
Lots of things could factor in that. Mic placement for one.

Gearbox noise is very prominent in GT3.

It's okay to admit you didn't know something...truly.

VVV Mars VG

Interesting developments on the audio, I find all of the engines whine a bit too much, in some cases the whine is there but the audio omits the actual guttural sound of the engine. That gluggling horse power grumbling away, its missing in-car, less so out of the car but still not right. While the external replay audio appears to generate an echo as if with hard walls rather than an essence of distance.

Ah, what a relief. I could never tolerate the sounds in Gran Turismo. They were so sterile. I just hope that the rest of the game delivers because I wasn't a big fan of GT5. I very much enjoyed Forza 6.

Looks awesome until I look at the people and the trees. They definitely hired forza devs.

As much as people give Forza shit about the things off track, I never notice these things while playing the game.

eso76

The one thing it lacks is how sound behaves in the distance + wide open environment,

It's especially jarring now with graphics being almost indistinguishable from real life at times; when the car appears in the distance and sounds like it would with your ear resting on the hood, it just feels wrong.
I hope this can be fixed

But holy shit, it looks unbelievable.

Krayz

Lots of things could factor in that. Mic placement for one.

Gearbox noise is very prominent in GT3.

It's okay to admit you didn't know something...truly.

Oh I am admitting I was wrong. But whether I knew what made the high pitch whine or not, doesn't change the fact that it's drowning out the engine sound in the video I posted, which you can clearly hear in the real thing. Although the recent videos that have been posted sound a lot better, they still doesn't sound as aggressive imo.

xrnzaaas

Overblown sounds are not good either. Lots of games hollywood it up.

But aren't real racing cars loud as hell? And don't they have no noise protection so you can hear the car "working" as you're driving it?

Besides in games like Project CARS it's not like that will all the cars. The race cars can sound very aggressive, but the stock road vehicles sounds aren't exaggerated imo.

The post processing and shaders make this game look phenomenal. A lot of the elements on the track are really low-poly, like the guard rails, but they look amazing.

I'd love to see a version of GT1 or Ridge Racer with high internal quality and pumped with this kind of post processing. I think it'd be impressive.

Kysen

Way too much reverb on the engine noises. That sound comparison earlier on in the thread shows they still have a huge gulf to get on ACs level.

Interesting developments on the audio, I find all of the engines whine a bit too much, in some cases the whine is there but the audio omits the actual guttural sound of the engine. That gluggling horse power grumbling away, its missing in-car, less so out of the car but still not right. While the external replay audio appears to generate an echo as if with hard walls rather than an essence of distance.

Yes the reverb needs tweaking it sounds like a cathedral, and it sounds like nearby cars shouldn't be fed into the reverb track as much as they are, at least not in this environment. As long as it doesn't switch to in car you can hear the reverb effects continuing from the previous camera angle for ~5 seconds, so it's a pretty straightforward mixing effect, but I think it should work well with some tweaks.

killatopak

Ah, what a relief. I could never tolerate the sounds in Gran Turismo. They were so sterile. I just hope that the rest of the game delivers because I wasn't a big fan of GT5. I very much enjoyed Forza 6.

As much as people give Forza shit about the things off track, I never notice these things while playing the game.

Yes, I myself don't notice them while playing but I do watch replays a lot and even photo mode so it would be jarring. I hope they could somehow allow 3D stuff while replaying or in photomode.

So Nordschleife is confirmed to be in the game?

Of course. Played the Nordschleife in GTS myself last year during the 24h race at the Nurburgring.

And while GTS may look astonishing and sound at least "ok", the driving itself was outstanding. Sogood.gif

Yeah, not even close. Sounds like there's an inverse U-shaped sound filter where the highs and lows are heavily rolled off, along with some pretty aggressive dynamic range compression. This may not be noticeable on TV speakers or tablet/laptop speakers, but on a decent sound system beyond a cheap soundbar or "1337 gaming yo" headphones it's a night and day difference.

The level of tire sequel is also massively overdone.

Plus, amusingly, the transmission shifts in game are way too slow for a modern sequential racing trans.

For the sound guys out there, it sounds like an old beat-up Shure SM58 with too much foam on it, not enough gain, and too much compression applied.

Archtreyz

It's been a while since I invested in a racing game. The only one I've played this gen is Need for Speed, and it was very unimpressive. Hopefully this ends up being good!

Top Bottom