• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport - September Update 1.45 - 4 New cars and Tokyo Rain

benzy

Available now

Cars:
Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE Package '18
Chevrolet Corvette StingRay Racer Concept '59
Ferrari 365 GTB4 '71
Dodge Super Bee '70

"Wet Conditions" are now available on the Tokyo Expressway - Central Outer Loop and Tokyo Expressway - East Outer Loop:

i15YwOERMgwmyz.jpg

i1BJJJhsPmPp9Ec.jpg

i1sOhqFvgwtZF.jpg

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
How do the GTS weather effects compare to DriveClub?
It looks good but not Driveclub good. Driveclub is still far ahead when it comes to weather effects. The reflections are super low quality and the rain droplets on the windows don't have the watery jelly effect that Driveclub has. The rain itself is also barely visible in oustide car view. They had to make alot of compromises to get weather at 60fps. I think they did a fantastic job with the render budget they had, it looks good enough.

Nero_PR

Banned
It looks good but not Driveclub good. Driveclub is still far ahead when it comes to weather effects. The reflections are super low quality and the rain droplets on the windows don't have the watery jelly effect that Driveclub has. The rain itself is also barely visible in oustide car view. They had to make alot of compromises to get weather at 60fps. I think they did a fantastic job with the render budget they had, it looks good enough.
The rain and snow in Driveclub could get scary sometimes. Never I feared so much driving during a storm at night, especially in a videogame.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
The rain and snow in Driveclub could get scary sometimes. Never I feared so much driving during a storm at night, especially in a videogame.
Shame we didn't get a Pro update or a sequal with PS5 upgrade with full weather effect enabled in VR :messenger_crying:

Nero_PR

Banned
Shame we didn't get a Pro update or a sequal with PS5 upgrade with full weather effect enabled in VR :messenger_crying:
The sad part is not that. It is the Evolution studio being closed and the majority of the staff went to Codemasters to work on On Rush.

-Arcadia-

Banned

Indeed. Don't get me wrong, this update for GT Sport is cool, but there's nothing like Driveclub unleashing the full wrath of nature (and capability of the PS4) on you.

I really hope other developers prioritize weather for future (and next-gen) sims.

benzy

How do the GTS weather effects compare to DriveClub?

I went back to play DC and found its rain effects actually looks notably worse than GTSport in several areas, although there are other parts where its better. In DC there are much more rain particles in the environment, plus the rain pooling on the windshield is great. But GTS actually has considerably more alpha particles for water mist kickup from the 20 cars on track versus only 12 cars in Driveclub.

GTS
b4A3o1B.gif

DC
NsrdGM8.gif

Also not really a fan of how car headlights make the rain look like unrealistically large shooting needles in DC.

GTS
pUpi4fE.gif

DC
lQOZUME.gif

Road texture wet shader reflections are much better and more detailed in GTS.

GTS
72bGranTurismoSPORT2019.png

DC
DRIVECLUB20190926222.png

GTS also uses cubemaps for reflections instead of screen space reflections, but DC heavily relies on SSR for most if not all of its reflections. Screen space reflections are cheaper to render but it comes with too many visual occlusion artifacts. Notice the road reflection detail completely disappearing because of the car's rear view mirror blocking screen information of the environment.

DC

Can also be seen in replays with reflection detail disappearing when objects go out of view.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I went back to play DC and found its rain effects actually looks notably worse than GTSport in several areas, although there are other parts where its better. In DC there are much more rain particles in the environment, plus the rain pooling on the windshield is great. But GTS actually has considerably more alpha particles for water mist kickup from the 20 cars on track versus only 12 cars in Driveclub.

GTS
b4A3o1B.gif

DC
NsrdGM8.gif

Also not really a fan of how car headlights make the rain look like unrealistically large shooting needles in DC.

GTS
pUpi4fE.gif

DC
lQOZUME.gif

Road texture wet shader reflections are much better and more detailed in GTS.

GTS
72bGranTurismoSPORT2019.png

DC
DRIVECLUB20190926222.png

GTS also uses cubemaps for reflections instead of screen space reflections, but DC heavily relies on SSR for most if not all of its reflections. Screen space reflections are cheaper to render but it comes with too many visual occlusion artifacts. Notice the road reflection detail completely disappearing because of the car's rear view mirror blocking screen information of the environment.

DC

Can also be seen in replays with reflection detail disappearing when objects go out of view.

Great post. I guess nostalgia can be misleading, even within the same generation. I do love the torrential feel, and windshield pooling of Driveclub, but GTS holds up a lot better to it than I thought.

Last edited:
Top Bottom