• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphics are no big deal, claims Sony UK boss...AI is the future for games.

jko

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=19430
The videogames industry is no longer focused on improving graphics, according to Sony Computer Entertainment UK boss Ray Maguire, with attention now turning to artificial intelligence to make games more compelling.

Speaking at the BAFTA headquarters in London, at an event designed to underline the British Academy's new commitment to the videogame medium, Maguire said that the power of the central processors in the next-generation consoles meant that graphics were no longer top priority for developers.

"We are no longer interested in graphics per se, because graphics chips can do that for us," he commented, "but the central processors of all the new games machines are about making games more compelling by adding in artificial intelligence."

"The Cell chip is so powerful it can do 256 million calculations per second... That means one thing for us in the videogames industry: artificial intelligence."

Maguire told the audience that since he started working in the videogames industry in 1991, the focus had been strongly on improving graphics - but that graphics have now reached a point where they are so good that developers must look elsewhere for the next big step forward.

As an example, he asked the audience at BAFTA to consider the game character of Lara Croft and her movie counterpart, played by Angelina Jolie - arguing that the most important difference between the two is not visual, but lies instead in the fact that Jolie has a brain and human emotions.

He showed off a proof of concept video showing a rendered female character auditioning for a movie role, and talking through her relationship with her husband from meeting him, through to her decision to murder him after discovering that he was having an affair. Maguire highlighted the gamut of emotions which went through the character, claiming that this kind of emotional impact will be possible in game characters on next-gen systems.

"We're not talking about graphics any more," Maguire concluded. "We're talking about performance and we're talking about art."

Amir0x

Banned
call me when you demonstrate ok Sony UK

(side note: WHERE IS L.A. NOIRE ALREADY!? Team Bondi, get out of Australia and show us the trailer!)

DSN2K

I just imagine in 10 years we have a completely realistic looking games yet the stiff animation from the PS2 ere remains. :lol

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
uh...sounds like he showed that heavy rain teaser, which is entirely scripted and speaks to the importance of graphics rather than the importance of ai. it'll be neat if all this talk about advanced ai comes to anything, BUT GRAPHICS ARE AWESOME GOD DAMN IT

Roders5 said:
Graphics are no big deal? Sounds like a nintendo employee.

not quite -- if he was a nintendo employee he would've said that good graphics are sinful and that hardware shouldn't accommodate them.

PolyGone

Banned
right... because scripted animation like the demo he showed is A.I.? wait, what? Maybe he hasn't seen the current gen performances of characters in games as early as FFX?

jko

Reilly said:
if the AI is ever "good" then Skynet will create a world war and we'll all die.
terminatorol0.jpg

"Come with me if you want to liiiive."

GhaleonEB

jko said:
terminatorol0.jpg

"Come with me if you want to liiiive."
It's Kyle Reese that says that line in the first Terminator, and he doesn't say it like that. If you're going to do a funny pic/caption get it right! :p

jko

GhaleonEB said:
It's Kyle Reese that says that line in the first Terminator, and he doesn't say it like that. If you're going to do a funny pic/caption get it right! :p
fine here:
parecidosrazonablessolidsnaketerminatoryi1.jpg
:D

The guy's entirely right (along with animation, physics, and procedural technologies). Good thing the industry's in a good position where we can enjoy it along with significant graphical improvements.

Raistlin

Long-term this gen ... I think Sony really got it right with their overall system design.

Cell really will be the difference maker as far as pushing games forward in the future.

jarrod

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I always thought that shot was a rip off on Terminator, though I hadn't seen them side by side. Holy shit! :lol
The artist who did Konami's early NES covers used to knock-off movie scenes/posters all the time. Contra's takes parts from a Rambo poster iirc.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Dragona Akehi said:
Seriously, this is why Nintendo is ****ed. Power isn't just for graphics.
What you say is true, but just look at the DS, nintendo knows how to make fun for everyone regardless of power.

Tieno

Dragona Akehi said:
Seriously, this is why Nintendo is ****ed. Power isn't just for graphics.
Yep, at least the games I like and want to play, power makes for more beautiful games (not only graphically impressive) and greater influence of art design. Greater AI and animation and shit. Stuff I care about, especially art design! (Mass Effect, lost Odyssey and FFXIII ftw!)

Acosta

Well, he is mostly right. I think the word he is looking is not "good" but "beliveable", that is the key. Worlds needs to scale through procedural process, so IA goberning it must scale as well to make everything works.

Roders5 said:
What you say is true, but just look at the DS, nintendo knows how to make fun for everyone regardless of power.

I do agree - I have immense fun with my DS. However, the PSP is also just a handheld PS2... can't really do "exciting" stuff with that...

I don't doubt that Nintendo won't have awesomely fun games on Wii. But for all the talk they have of pushing the medium forward with new control... I can't help but be disappointed there isn't anything hardware wise they can use to make new gameplay experiences.

JRPereira

Wasn't there this big stink about in-order processing and the cell processors being unable to do AI well?

If they can make the AI interesting, that's a big plus, but I'd also like to see more focus on music, and a little more on sound as well.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Roders5 said:

While true, a lot of the stuff that works on the DS and in DS games just won't fly at home...and on some level, it will limit enjoyment of certain genres and titles.

Look at how disappointing GT4 is because of the nonexistent AI. Barf.

jko

GhaleonEB said:
I always thought that shot was a rip off on Terminator, though I hadn't seen them side by side. Holy shit! :lol
i'm just looking at the pic more closely now and holy **** it's down to the pixel on the hair and even the smear on the left side of his cheek :lol :lol

lancubap

Mmm......

I wanna see this AI improved before judge, because for now PS3's games haven't really a so-complex AI, but we'll see in the future.

jko

lancubap said:
Mmm......

I wanna see this AI improved before judge, because for now PS3's games haven't really a so-complex AI, but we'll see in the future.
i could've sworn the Genji 2 demonstration at E3 had great AI...

Roders5

Y2Kevbug11 said:
While true, a lot of the stuff that works on the DS and in DS games just won't fly at home...and on some level, it will limit enjoyment of certain genres and titles.
Yeah, but I'm not saying they'll just copy DS stuff and all will be good, they seem pretty good at coming up with fun stuff that suits the hardware in question.

I kind of wish graphics didn't move forward quite as fast as they did. All we hear these days is about crazy development costs and ingame ads and micro whatevers to help with costs, plus there's the cost of the consoles themselves. Imagine if ps2 etc was only coming out now, we would be blown away by the graphics still because we'd only be coming off ps1. Should we always be aiming for the best possible graphics just because we can? Developers would have no problem doing the current gen graphics now and could concentrate on different shit, like maybe A.I.

Cosmozone

I constantly hear the power argument but I've my doubts that developers are able to do anything more than enhancing the visuals with it. So far there is nothing to my knowledge. And that AI speech reeks of BS. Does the guy even understand what AI is and what it is able to do. I'd guess no. Also simulation and art are quite conflictive comcepts. That vision has nothing to do with art, IMHO. Compare to MMOs where you have real human fellow players. The interaction you have with the other players can hardly be described as art, unless you're teaming up to make art of some sort.

Dark Fact

i tend to agree with the statement, I am definitely in the "Game play is king" camp. Graphics are nice, but i think GTA has proven that the quality of the experience is only supplemented by the graphics :)

bud

Amir0x said:
call me when you demonstrate ok Sony UK

(side note: WHERE IS L.A. NOIRE ALREADY!? Team Bondi, get out of Australia and show us the trailer!)

their site is saying soon since july...:(

loosus

Banned
I agree that Wii could really benefit in many ways from at least a more capable CPU. I mean, if the competitors can get, basically, triple-core 2.8 GHz CPUs in their machines (not to mention everything else in there), would a single-core 2 GHz CPU had been asking for too much in Wii?

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
****ing hell. BOLD THE RELEVANT COMMENTS

today every news thread has included no bolding, and that thread about Matt's blog was the worst by not even posting the contents of the blog. As a result I have no idea what any of these threads contain

Roders5

MrSardonic said:
****ing hell. BOLD THE RELEVANT COMMENTS

today every news thread has included no bolding, and that thread about Matt's blog was the worst by not even posting the contents of the blog. As a result I have no idea what any of these threads contain
dawsonsmileavalw7.jpg

Chichikov

I do not believe that the limiting factor on AI is CPU power.

As an example, he asked the audience at BAFTA to consider the game character of Lara Croft and her movie counterpart, played by Angelina Jolie - arguing that the most important difference between the two is not visual, but lies instead in the fact that Jolie has a brain and human emotions.
Yeah, sure, we’re only fixated on Angelina Jolie because of her dazzling intellect.

Problem is, that you can't show AI on the back of the box and most game reviewers ignore writing meaningful insight on game behaviors. Given this, most publishers/developers will still prioritize that graphical pop on ps3 and 360. Hopefully it's something that really does make a jump, we very rarely see many advances in AI.

I wonder who will be the first to claim they can fill a Blu-ray Disc with AI scripting.

LevelNth

Banned
PolyGone said:
right... because scripted animation like the demo he showed is A.I.? wait, what? Maybe he hasn't seen the current gen performances of characters in games as early as FFX?
To be fair to him, I'm pretty sure he was trying to convey that video as something he feels will be possible to achieve in real-time this gen via Cell.

Anyways, I've been of this belief for a while now, and it's why I think CPU's are becoming more important than GPU's for consoles, and why Cell has so much potential. Physics, A.I, and Animation > Visual fidelity and texturing IMO.

Bodom78

Sony has realized that they have just blown a heap of cash on the PS3 & Cell development and their games won't be looking any better then the 360's so time to makeup some new uses for the Cells so called power.

Joeroll

I think its more about graphics. But, I would love to see a bigger focus on AI and animations. There is nothing better than seeing a character or objects so beautifully animated.

...and lets do away with floaty/bouncy ragdolls. Put some weight on those bitches!

Bodom78 said:
Sony has realized that they have just blown a heap of cash on the PS3 & Cell development and their games won't be looking any better then the 360's so time to makeup some new uses for the Cells so called power.

Stupidity.jpg

Top Bottom