• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Falls S2 |OT| Mysteries, tall gingers & endless sweaters (series finale 2/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Guys, awesome finale!

Quick question; my DVR cut out on me during the last few seconds of credits. Was there another scene after the
picture of the twins arriving at the sign post that says Pidemont?

No, that's it. It was then followed by the Lego Star Wars show.

Sylwest

That was such a great ride! Got a bit teary-eyed watching the finale. They ended it well too! I wonder what Hirsch will work on next

Hamlet

Really nice sweet ending to the show. It's been quite the fun and amazing ride. Going to really miss this show :(
Looking forward to seeing what Alex's next show is like.

That was a fantastic finale. Humor was on point (as always), there were a lot of great callbacks, and it got quite emotional towards the end.

As many of you have already said, I eagerly await Mr. Hirsch's next creation.

Nuke Soda

I both anticipate and dread the series finale. Anticipate because I have no doubt it will be awesome and dread because Gravity Falls was fantastic.

ChrisD

I thought it was a good ending, but the bulk of it felt... Average? Don't get me wrong, average Gravity Falls is still great, but I feel other episodes reached higher highs (and lower lows).

The ending montage with how everyone ended up was great though. Glad that was their to cap it all off.

Will miss the series, was bittersweet in all the word's definition. :(

I thought it was great. Although it didn't really have the emotional highs i was expecting, at least on the level of 'not what he seems'. Don't get me wrong there was some great stuff, the montage at the end with dipper narrating was great and made me tear up but it just kinda felt like a standard finale (although in western cartoons these days having a finale isn't very standard at all i guess).

I thought it was a good ending, but the bulk of it felt... Average? Don't get me wrong, average Gravity Falls is still great, but I feel other episodes reached higher highs (and lower lows).

The ending montage with how everyone ended up was great though. Glad that was their to cap it all off.

Will miss the series, was bittersweet in all the word's definition. :(

well, of course! Not gonna lie; the whole second season was sorta bittersweet for me as well. (probably cause the GF team was kinda rushed in finishing the story - it just didnt feel like the first season for some reason). But then again, there are several items not properly addressed just yet:

-what was Blendin's deal with Bill?
-and where the hell did he go after the Time Baby thing?
-the whole "Robbie hypnotizing Wendy" thing?
-What was it that the handyman (Soos) knew more than he thinks?
-Same with all the hinting in the book/game that the new object of Jeff's affections was going to be Pacifica?
-and a billion fucking things with Wendy? (her brothers' names? the deal with her mom?)

among other things...

So, look at this like this - a huge amount of details just aching to be answered. Hirsch recently said that he hasn't discounted the idea of coming back to GF one day (hopefully in a Avatar/Korra sorta thing), but to me, the question is that does Disney even need Hirsch legally? After all, why leave so many things unanswered without a chance for a sequel series?

Is it a BTTF thing where they can't touch it without his blessing? Or is it like Sony Pictures and the Boondocks where they can make shitty continuations without the creator's input?

Plus, add to the fact that more content is coming down the line (the full sized Journal 3 is due this summer, and there's supposed to be some pick a path story thing with the twins and Blendin as well). Some of these things have to be answered that way (I still hope for a console game - the 3DS game was a nice Rayman clone)

No, that's it. It was then followed by the Lego Star Wars show.

Nope.

Apparently, someone noticed that the tree in the credits has Dipper's real name on it:
Abel.

quick note on that:

http://i.imgur.com/0PcHaUA.png

It's a list of Mabel's ex-crushes, not Pines twins, so I guess we don't know for sure (though shame on me for forgetting Cain/Abel)

Also, you guys fibbed!
There's a flash of a real life looking Bill Cipher statue in the woods for a split second...

Complete series bluray please.

I wish. I mean, I understand the risk, but at the same time, they're moronic for not even throwing the series on Netflix or Hulu for streaming...

On a personal note, thanks to all of the GAFfers that followed along with this OT (making it my most successful one yet), and even kept it updated when I couldn't do so myself. All of the discussion, theorizing, and even arguments made this a blast to do, and even got me through a lot of bad times personally (and even celebrate a lot of good ones)

But don't hit that unsubscribe button yet; I still plan on updating this baby whenever any major news comes our way (or at least, some nifty merch!)

And don't worry; I already have sights on my next mega OT. If you follow my posts I'm sure you can guess what I have planned next...just in time for a certain someone's 30th anniversary...

Zrl1ECQ.gif

See you in 2017!

I thought it was great. Although it didn't really have the emotional highs i was expecting, at least on the level of 'not what he seems'. Don't get me wrong there was some great stuff, the montage at the end with dipper narrating was great and made me tear up, stan punching bill was awesome but overall it it just kinda felt like a standard finale-- which isn't a bad thing at all though, i was just hoping for something mind blowing i guess haha (although in western cartoons these days having a finale isn't very standard at all i guess).

RK128

On a personal note, thanks to all of the GAFfers that followed along with this OT (making it my most successful one yet), and even kept it updated when I couldn't do so myself. All of the discussion, theorizing, and even arguments made this a blast to do, and even got me through a lot of bad times personally (and even celebrate a lot of good ones)

But don't hit that unsubscribe button yet; I still plan on updating this baby whenever any major news comes our way (or at least, some nifty merch!)

And don't worry; I already have sights on my next mega OT. If you follow my posts I'm sure you can guess what I have planned next...just in time for a certain someone's 30th anniversary...

Zrl1ECQ.gif

See you in 2017!

Didn't get a chance to watch the finale yet, but you did a great job managing this thread! Only recently visited it last fall but it was great talking about the show with you guys here.

Keep up the great work with future threads man and I'm looking forward to you're MEGA thread coming up in the future ;).

I'm hopeful we get more Gravity Falls content in the future (appearance in Disney Infinity as playable characters, a console game, more stuff like the upcoming 3rd Journal, ect) as it really is a wonderful IP.

Its a shame the show is over but it ended strong, which is the most important thing of all honestly.

Tuck

A wonderful ending, to a wonderful series. The finale was creative, exciting, and funny - and I expected no less from Gravity Falls. The final scene was great to watch, and I really enjoyed Dipper's ending monologue - it reminded me of the ending of Full metal Alchemist, which I also really loved.

I do still think the series needed a few more episodes to slow down he rapid pace of the second half of season 2. Some things didn't play as big a role as I thought they would, like the detectives from the FBI. Hell, the Larry King wax head repeating made me remember that that episode sort of implied he'd get his revenge, yet int he end it was basically just a cameo. I also wish we got something more definitive with Pacifica, as it seemed like that was built up and lacked a bit of resolution. In terms of the finale, I kind of wish the Bill-banishing circle did work, as it would've been cool, and also taking away Stan's memories, only to give them back five minutes later was a little iffy, though it was done sweetly.

The above criticism are minor. They're things I noticed, and some do matter. But in the end, the show manages to stand above those few niggling issues.

So I'll just say this:

Gravity Falls is everything I adore about animation. This is a show that could not possibly be done with live action. Every scene is bursting with imagination. Every character feels unique, and expressive, and likeable. The show just feels so alive with creativity. Over two seasons and a series of shorts, they took us on all kinds of adventures. They made us laugh (sometimes hard!), they made us think and ponder and investigate, and they made us connect with this cast of characters in a way that few shows manage to do. The world of Gravity Falls felt fully realized. Its a world I am going to miss very much. So to Alex and his team, thank you.

I thought the wrap up to the weirdmaggedon stuff was rushed and cliched. They should have reduced the time spent in Mabel's world massively to give more time to the rest of it.

The last 20 minutes or so though? Fantastic. It ended basically perfectly. I only wish the show had a few more episodes to wrap up dangling plot/character stuff like blendin, pacifica, gideon, etc.

My gf also noticed that. Quick eye, that one.

It actually doesn't say Abel, despite the internet's best wishes. It says Mabel + Mabel, showing that she doesn't need her crushes on boys to validate her any longer. As far as I can tell, the show finishes without ever revealing Dipper's name.

sca2511

It actually doesn't say Abel, despite the internet's best wishes. It says Mabel + Mabel, showing that she doesn't need her crushes on boys to validate her any longer. As far as I can tell, the show finishes without ever revealing Dipper's name.

Ah alright. She actually mentioned something like, "they revealed Dipper's name?" but didn't say what it was. I figured I'd check it out at a later time.

Blues1990

The scene where Stan & his brother were threatening the bus driver was both terrifying & hilarious. Especially with Stanford having a revolver concealed in his jacket.

And while some of the mysteries in Gravity Falls weren't solved, the show had ended on a rather high note. Still, I won't forget how Disney Television had handled the series in it's later run, as it was equal parts stupid & aggrivating.

KHlover

Banned
This episode. This series ;-;7

A X O L O T L
MY TIME HAS COME TO BURN
I INVOKE THE ANCIENT POWER THAT I WILL RETURN

zulux21

The scene where Stan & his brother were threatening the bus driver was both terrifying & hilarious. Especially with Stanford having a revolver concealed in his jacket.

And while some of the mysteries in Gravity Falls weren't solved, the show had ended on a rather high note. Still, I won't forget how Disney Television had handled the series in it's later run, as it was equal parts stupid & aggrivating.

the top half looks like a [redacted], the bottom half... not so much. I do wonder what it is for.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
All good things must come to an end. :?

I wish we got to see at least one or two more seasons, but we'll see what Mr. Hirsch has next.

kami_sama

I'm so sad :( Seeing Dipper and Mabel and everyone else for the last time has been great. But the series still has so much potential. T_T

But one thing bugged me. There was no confirmation/denial of dipcifica. Like it didn't even exist.

Nightbird

Would it be weak to admit that I cried at the end?

I don't even remember the last time any entertainment media did that to me lol

I can't believe it's over for good :(

Jintor

Dude I cry at the drop of a hat. This was like the Persona 4 ending all over again but weirder.

Thank you alex hirsh, thank you gravity falls teams. I wish it had been three seasons to space it out a little better but god damn man that finale was almost pitch perfect.

PaulloDEC

A lovely ending to a wonderful series. I feel like I'm already at peace with it being gone; the release schedule being what it is, it feels like it's been gone for months.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to rewatching the whole series sometime down the line now. I'd be lying if I said the stupid scheduling didn't damage the experience for me a bit, so seeing things unfold in an orderly fashion will be nice.

It may have left us too soon, but I'll always be grateful for what we got.

Psxphile

Seems the Internet is currently in a mad dash (so to speak) to find
the real statue of Bill Cipher
seen in the show's parting shot, hidden somewhere in the Oregon woods.

Jintor

Seems the Internet is currently in a mad dash (so to speak) to find
the real statue of Bill Cipher
seen in the show's parting shot, hidden somewhere in the Oregon woods.

ugh, cipher cultists. next thing you know trump will be president and all of america is gonna get weirderised

Afa

Total amazing finale for an amazing series. Very touching send off.

Only one nip pick I had,
that Stan got his memory back just a few days after being wiped. it made the whole final confrontation so less impactful. However I dunno what else they could done and it wouldn't work with the overall perfect ending.

Needed one more season.

Jintor

Total amazing finale for an amazing series. Very touching send off.

Only one nip pick I had,
that Stan got his memory back just a few days after being wiped. it made the whole final confrontation so less impactful. However I dunno what else they could done and it wouldn't work with the overall perfect ending.

Needed one more season.

The only thing I can think of is
they should've set up a more miraculous resolution to him getting his memories back earlier in the finale or the series. One last Chekhov's to tie everything together. Maybe something in conjunction with the summer memories book.

I didn't expect a two-parter, though considering how long it took I shouldn't be surprised.

The lead-up to it was hit or miss, but I'm pretty damn pleased at the way the series ended.

Afa

The only thing I can think of is
they should've set up a more miraculous resolution to him getting his memories back earlier in the finale or the series. One last Chekhov's to tie everything together. Maybe something in conjunction with the summer memories book.

I think they kind of hinted with Old Man McGucket that their memories can be gained back eventually, just not so quickly. An ending I thought, that Stan's memory should've stayed gone, and with Stanford, create new memories and adventure together out at sea. But that would be too sad.

Black_Red

I didn't understand the "unicorn vodoo" thing, I watched the unicorn episode but I don't remember anything about it (aside from the unicorn being a dick)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom