• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Great boss fights in platform games?

correojon

Making a good platformer boss is hard due to the intrinsic limitations of the genre. Even though Mario games are often universally acclaimed, all of them have the same weak spot: the boss fights are usually too simplistic and repetitive. What examples can you guys think of great platformer bosses?

The main method of attacking the enemy must be through jumping (no shooting, punching or whatever), though other actions based on the basic platforming skills (moving and jumping) are allowed. For example:
These DON´T qualify:
  • Megaman games don´t qualify, as the main (and only) method of attacking is by shooting.
  • Splatoon´s last boss doesn´t qualify, because even if the way of dealing damage is by returning the boss´s attacks you do so by shooting at them.

These ARE VALID:
  • Mario3DWorld´s battles against Bowser do qualify, because even if the method of inflicting damage isn´t by jumping on Bowser, the way of attacking doesn´t require any other action than moving, you just have to walk towards the soccer balls and (automatically) kick them.
  • Other actions like jumping on a button to activate a trap or pushing the boss off a platform by bumping into him are allowed.

No screenshots without text please: give a brief description of what makes that fight good, a video or something so people who haven´t played the game can understand it.

Jump 3 times on my head if old.

Edited the rules to make them clearer

TheMoon

^
Splatoon ain't no platformer, yo. I guess it's a hybrid.

Final boss in Yoshi's Island is missing. Absolutely incredible fight. The atmosphere and how it puts a new spin on the shooting mechanic you've used throughout the whole game is bananas.

Wait what, it hast to be jumping?

correojon

^
Splatoon ain't no platformer, yo. I guess it's a hybrid.

Final boss in Yoshi's Island is missing. Absolutely incredible fight. The atmosphere and how it puts a new spin on the shooting mechanic you've used throughout the whole game is bananas.

Wait what, it hast to be jumping?

Yeah, jumping or moving around, no shooting or extra actions (though jumping on buttons or bouncing back projectiles is OK).

I consider Splatoon´s single player a hybrid action-platformer, something like what Mega Man is to 2D platformers. The main focus is on shooting, but a lot of times platforming takes over.

Crayolan

K Rool Duel in Donkey Kong Country 2. It's a gauntlet of you dodging increasingly complex projectile patterns and grabbing one to use against K Rool at the end of each pattern. It's hard as nails but man does it feel satisfying to edge closer and closer to victory and then finally reach the end. Great battle theme too.

Rymuth

Bowser Jr in Yoshi's Wooly World

maxresdefault.jpg

All charming and delightful to look at. You need to navigate around him to get those specific yarns.

Edit: Removed Beastector because returning the missiles back at him doesn't count, apparently.

Probably can think of a few more given time.

MrBadger

mqdefault.jpg

Not sure if you'd call it a boss, but the final Bowser sequence in Mario 3D Land is great. The whole thing is platforming and evading Bowser until right at the end you drop him off a bridge (of course). 3D World's sequence is similarly good, but not quite as good because the slow auto-scrolling hurts it.

It's kinda funny how I'm having a real hard time thinking of outstanding bosses you damage just by jumping on them. I bet at some point I'll think of something obvious but all the great platformer bosses I can think of usually involve you throwing stuff at them or hitting them with an attack besides jumping

EDIT: Oh, you disqualified my pick. Okay then...Ludwig from NSMBU is pretty rad

new-super-mario-bros-u-wii-59357.jpg

Simple matter of spotting which one is the real one, and jumping on its head. But all NSMB bosses are hurt by that irritating boring shell spin attack that goes on forever.

Tingle

I think your premise is flawed by your own limitations. Games do have good bosses by sticking to their own jumping limitations (like Mario, which you excluded) or by introducing additional mechanics (like Yoshi or Mega Man, which you also excluded).

Your question is basically "examples of good platformer bosses except games with good platformer bosses".

Mischief Makers has some of Treasure's best bosses mechanically. The multi direction dashing, shaking and throwing in Mischief Makers elevates it's multi phase bosses to an amazing height, especially if you're going for S rank diamonds on everything. Everything starts as almost a puzzle, but still comes down to execution and potential for mastery once you learn it.

Castlevania: Rondo of Blood has the series' best boss battles too, imo. Great visual designs, patterns and tells, and the backflip mechanic combined with classicvania weighting and animation commitment makes for perfect encounters that make you feel like you mastered something, Souls-style.

Yoshi's Island bosses were amazing, aesthetically and for FX, but also because of the game's great mechanic set... it always comes down to that, imo. A stand out concept is probably the angry raven on the circular moon. Utilizes your butt stomp vs your egg tossing.

edit: Seems I missed the jumping-only stipulation. Oh well, guess that just says a lot about great bosses being a matter of mechanics like I said.

78907890.jpg

LittleBigPlanet series has some great bosses, and the first one is especially centered entirely around jumping since there's no power ups. The Collector, the final boss, was an epic creation with some excellent phases and mechanical transformations. Great fun to ace without taking a hit.

JediLink

Well Me-
Megaman games don´t qualify

Oh.

I think one of the worst thing a platformer boss can do is have huge periods where you can't hit them. A good way to keep players engaged is to have the boss always vulnerable, but the risk and difficulty of hitting them at any given time varies. A lot of Sonic bosses are like this I think.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
VXQSslK.jpg

Wario Land II's basketball bunny boss. Or does it not count because you shoot some hoops?

MrBadger

I think your premise is flawed by your own limitations. Games do have good bosses by sticking to their own jumping limitations (like Mario, which you excluded) or by introducing additional mechanics (like Yoshi or Mega Man, which you also excluded).

Your question is basically "examples of good platformer bosses except games with good platformer bosses".

OP just seems to be after a thread with good bosses that only use the core fundamentals of platforming, which is all well and good, but the amount of disqualifies certainly hurt the premise. There are many great bosses that directly involve platforming mechanics in the fight that you damage through other means.

464251465_5081f449be_o.jpg

Francis from Super Paper Mario is pretty fun. He turns invisible and moves around quickly, but you can track him by switching to 3D and looking for his shadow. Probably the only boss fight in the game that integrates the 3D mechanic well.

correojon

ActWan said:
I'd say Super Meat Boy - although you don't really fight the bosses just survive long enough
Yeah, that counts. Have you played Jumper? It´s an old indie game very similar to SMB (the main character, Ogmo, is even unlockable in SMB). The bosses in this game are also similat to SMB´s ones: you have to survive through some tough platform challenges and eventually you step on a block that falls on the boss or something and damages them. They were pretty cool.

mqdefault.jpg

Not sure if you'd call it a boss, but the final Bowser sequence in Mario 3D Land is great. The whole thing is platforming and evading Bowser until right at the end you drop him off a bridge (of course). 3D World's sequence is similarly good, but not quite as good because the slow auto-scrolling hurts it.

It's kinda funny how I'm having a real hard time thinking of outstanding bosses you damage just by jumping on them. I bet at some point I'll think of something obvious but all the great platformer bosses I can think of usually involve you throwing stuff at them or hitting them with an attack besides jumping

EDIT: Oh, you disqualified my pick. Okay then...Ludwig from NSMBU is pretty rad

new-super-mario-bros-u-wii-59357.jpg

Simple matter of spotting which one is the real one, and jumping on its head. But all NSMB bosses are hurt by that irritating boring shell spin attack that goes on forever.
Yeah those 2 are good examples. You also make a good point about the irritating spin attack X(

Well Me-

Oh.

I think one of the worst thing a platformer boss can do is have huge periods where you can't hit them. A good way to keep players engaged is to have the boss always vulnerable, but the risk and difficulty of hitting them at any given time varies. A lot of Sonic bosses are like this I think.
Sonic is a great example, also the bosses being always vulnerable allowed you to try different and faster strategies. Great pick and good point on the bosses´ vulnerability!

VXQSslK.jpg

Wario Land II's basketball bunny boss. Or does it not count because you shoot some hoops?
Haven´t played it, but I guess it could do if it´s anything like I´m imagining.

OP just seems to be after a thread with good bosses that only use the core fundamentals of platforming, which is all well and good, but the amount of disqualifies certainly hurt the premise. There are many great bosses that directly involve platforming mechanics in the fight that you damage through other means.
Yeah I´m after examples where the devs went the extra mile and thought of some original method to create great bosses in platform games, not after "great bosses that include platform sections".

I edited the rules to make them clearer, seems there was some confusion.

I loved that battle against the Australian boss in Crash but don't know if hindsight is making me think it's better than what it was

Does Portal count as a platform game? Because I always liked the boss battles at the end of each of those games. The finale to the boss in Portal 2 in particular is amazing. You'll know it if you've played it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Haven´t played it, but I guess it could do if it´s anything like I´m imagining.

You jump on him to turn them into a ball (and if he jumps on Wario, Wario turns into a ball). Then you pick him up and throw him through the hoop. First to three points wins! It's only using the core mechanics of the game.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Some people really dislike some of the older Sonic game bosses for some reason, but I think the two regular final bosses of Sonic (3) & Knuckles were really good back then.

Sonic's:
o6CYeCj.png

Firstly, the boss battle goes to this music.

To mention, if you didn't carry rings over from a fight earlier or die, you'll start the battle with no rings, thus making the whole battle riskier.

The boss starts with a fun introduction and begins by attacking with its hands. Pretty simple, it will take a step to the left or right, and slam its fingers down. You have to avoid the hand with maneuverability, then jump on its finger. After three hits, a finger will explode, and once you beat all six fingers, the boss collapses, then gets back up from a different angle and begins to chase you.

hqdefault.jpg

The screen starts scrolling, and he'll shoot a ball of fire out of his nostril. When you hit his nose, his chest will open up, revealing his weakpoint (the Master Emerald 'heart) but the heart will also begin flashing and making a charge noise as you see energy collect and it glows, and you have to time it just right to jump over a giant laser beam it shoots. But while the chest is open and it's charging the beam, it's also your chance to hit the weakpoint.

After hitting it enough times, the thing collapses, and Robotnik tries to make off with the Master Emerald. Whole place is collapsing and you just run after Robotnik and got to time your jumps just right to hit him, not miss, or the projection may throw you too far backwards into the pit.

---

Then we have Knuckles' final fight against Mecha Sonic.

latest

You start off in a fight against Mecha Sonic, who spins and is invincible when rolled up as he leaps and spindashes across the screen like Sonic. You can't hit his back either due to the spikes, so you have to jump into his open side when he's not rolling and maneuver around his spins and dashes. He goes down easily enough if you time everything and maneuver well.

But then of course is when the fight gets interesting.

latest

Before the final blow goes down, Mecha Sonic dashes over to dash on-top of the Master Emerald to let him charge it and turn to a Super form. He's now able to fly, super fast, and invincible. He flies above you, will charge down at you, shoot giant energy balls, or hover in the air and shoot malicious rings around. After he uses the energy ball attack, he'll lose his super form and go to the ground, but then quickly dash to the Master Emerald to recharge. You can't attack him while he's charging, meaning you have to hit him just as he's leaping onto it or lands after the Energy Ball hits before he dashes away. Alternatively, when he does the ring attack, he will lose his super form for a second and dip down before it kicking back in again, giving you a chance for a hit.

With so few/no rings, it can be very tense, And I remember liking these fights a lot as a kid, and still think they're pretty good personally.

hqdefault.jpg

Grunty in Banjo-Kazooie. Nearly every single one of your abilities was required, there were multiple phases of the fight to keep things interesting, and it's also the only proper boss fight in the game (the only thing that comes close to being considered a boss is Boss Boom Box in Rusty Bucket Bay, but he was stupidly easy and not all that creative).

K. Rool in DK64 had some damn cool moments too, but some of the phases were way too long and drawn out, which spoiled things somewhat.

Mischief Makers has some of Treasure's best bosses mechanically. The multi direction dashing, shaking and throwing in Mischief Makers elevates it's multi phase bosses to an amazing height, especially if you're going for S rank diamonds on everything. Everything starts as almost a puzzle, but still comes down to execution and potential for mastery once you learn it.

Yeah, I couldn't agree more. The boss fights in Mischief Makers were amazing. Cerberus Alpha was probably the best.

correojon

Some people really dislike some of the older Sonic game bosses for some reason, but I think the two regular final bosses of Sonic (3) & Knuckles were really good back then.

Sonic's:
o6CYeCj.png

Firstly, the boss battle goes to this music.

To mention, if you didn't carry rings over from a fight earlier or die, you'll start the battle with no rings, thus making the whole battle riskier.

The boss starts with a fun introduction and begins by attacking with its hands. Pretty simple, it will take a step to the left or right, and slam its fingers down. You have to avoid the hand with maneuverability, then jump on its finger. After three hits, a finger will explode, and once you beat all six fingers, the boss collapses, then gets back up from a different angle and begins to chase you.

hqdefault.jpg

The screen starts scrolling, and he'll shoot a ball of fire out of his nostril. When you hit his nose, his chest will open up, revealing his weakpoint (the Master Emerald 'heart) but the heart will also begin flashing and making a charge noise as you see energy collect and it glows, and you have to time it just right to jump over a giant laser beam it shoots. But while the chest is open and it's charging the beam, it's also your chance to hit the weakpoint.

After hitting it enough times, the thing collapses, and Robotnik tries to make off with the Master Emerald. Whole place is collapsing and you just run after Robotnik and got to time your jumps just right to hit him, not miss, or the projection may throw you too far backwards into the pit.

---

Then we have Knuckles' final fight against Mecha Sonic.

latest

You start off in a fight against Mecha Sonic, who spins and is invincible when rolled up as he leaps and spindashes across the screen like Sonic. You can't hit his back either due to the spikes, so you have to jump into his open side when he's not rolling and maneuver around his spins and dashes. He goes down easily enough if you time everything and maneuver well.

But then of course is when the fight gets interesting.

latest

Before the final blow goes down, Mecha Sonic dashes over to dash on-top of the Master Emerald to let him charge it and turn to a Super form. He's now able to fly, super fast, and invincible. He flies above you, will charge down at you, shoot giant energy balls, or hover in the air and shoot malicious rings around. After he uses the energy ball attack, he'll lose his super form and go to the ground, but then quickly dash to the Master Emerald to recharge. You can't attack him while he's charging, meaning you have to hit him just as he's leaping onto it or lands after the Energy Ball hits before he dashes away. Alternatively, when he does the ring attack, he will lose his super form for a second and dip down before it kicking back in again, giving you a chance for a hit.

With so few/no rings, it can be very tense, And I remember liking these fights a lot as a kid, and still think they're pretty good personally.
Great examples and awesome explanation! I think I´m going to play S&K when I get home, your write up really got me in the mood :)

You jump on him to turn them into a ball (and if he jumps on Wario, Wario turns into a ball). Then you pick him up and throw him through the hoop. First to three points wins! It's only using the core mechanics of the game.
Lol, cool fight and really original, I love it.

Does Portal count as a platform game? Because I always liked the boss battles at the end of each of those games. The finale to the boss in Portal 2 in particular is amazing. You'll know it if you've played it.
It´s sort of a puzzle platformer? Anyway, I really enjoyed everything about both Portal games from start to finish, though I can´t remember exactly the fight in P2. Is it the one in which you have to carry around the different spheres and burn them?

It´s sort of a puzzle platformer? Anyway, I really enjoyed everything about both Portal games from start to finish, though I can´t remember exactly the fight in P2. Is it the one in which you have to carry around the different spheres and burn them?

In Portal 1 you have to
knock bits off of Glados and drop them in the incinerators

In Portal 2 you have to
stop Wheatley using the speed/bounce/white liquids, and at the very final moment you fire a portal onto the moon to trap Wheatley there
. It's a very crazy, epic moment.

ActWan

Yeah, that counts. Have you played Jumper? It´s an old indie game very similar to SMB (the main character, Ogmo, is even unlockable in SMB). The bosses in this game are also similat to SMB´s ones: you have to survive through some tough platform challenges and eventually you step on a block that falls on the boss or something and damages them. They were pretty cool.

Never even heard about it. Will definitely check it out, thanks!

Playsage

From Crash Bandicoot: Warped:
0.jpg

Dr. Neo Cortex
start the music!
A short and fast-paced final boss (as expected from the Crash games), but DAT ATMOSPHERE!
After a dissapointing final boss in Cortex Strikes Back, you are finally granted your final confrontation with the Doctor, now helped by his master Uka Uka. The fight is pretty simple: dodge a few shots, don't step on mines and hit the motherfucker while his shield is down to send him down a pipe that leads to the heart of the time machine for three times. You can't get Aku Aku's protection because he has to go Dragon Ball on his rival's ass, making for a super flashy obstacle during the fight (1st: a beam clash that you need to jump; 2nd: a tornado that goes around the room; 3rd: BOOM!).
It's easy but also hype!

Boney

Banned
I'm a huge fan of most Bowser final encounters that subvert a few tropes in design. Mario 3 has you dodging him as he ground pounds himself to death. Mario world has you avoiding his koopa copter while hitting him with his own mechs koopas. Nsmbwii has escape from giant Bowser which is great as well.

Still need to beat NSMBU and see how that goes.

jdstorm

Banned
I'm guessing what you are looking for might better be found in an action/fighting game that requires movement.

I really like the final bowser fight in Super Mario Galaxy but that's mostly because of how great the cutscenes are

gelf

Well Me-

Oh.

Yeah I like that a lot about many of the classic Sonic bosses. Maybe they are designed with speed running in mind, you can often sneak in another hit but its risky.

lcap

Teslagrad bosses are quite nice and require a good chunk of platform, timing and puzzle solving, loved them.

Faradeus:

Oleg:

From Crash Bandicoot: Warped:
0.jpg

Dr. Neo Cortex
start the music!
A short and fast-paced final boss (as expected from the Crash games), but DAT ATMOSPHERE!
After a dissapointing final boss in Cortex Strikes Back, you are finally granted your final confrontation with the Doctor, now helped by his master Uka Uka. The fight is pretty simple: dodge a few shots, don't step on mines and hit the motherfucker while his shield is down to send him down a pipe that leads to the heart of the time machine for three times. You can't get Aku Aku's protection because he has to go Dragon Ball on his rival's ass, making for a super flashy obstacle during the fight (1st: a beam clash that you need to jump; 2nd: a tornado that goes around the room; 3rd: BOOM!).
It's easy but also hype!

I was going to mention this one, but since it's been taken, I'm particulary fond of:

images

Dingodile's fights are always something else in Crash games, with its huge flamethrower and his annoying victory dance! He usually hides behind a barrier and have you make use of his own mistakes to bring him to a vulnerable state and hit him.

wsJQyfBbFL0yt13tM_uGpiR0LVSCW371JybT0iaghyr8QxOYaAhNlljMrYfKh2WQrkww4tKEo3itCUaN7tsosr_DWTJFs7soTBhZ86_V5rwDOT3xt-pRyqLnrIvKsqVwVwuzwCZTMATWE4wcZIDOi6HGpFwjQlgYePOkq3aLpWBdS7UifpK-UWKDBu4eXQKWWcNcykyjNFj32e40c9XCbws=w185-h137-nc

Top Bottom