• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greatest finishing moves in wrestling history

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heroman

Banned
C'mon guys.. The hell?[/IMG]

You could feel the power through your monitor

All I see is a shit Lariat
stan_hansen1.gif

Deadspin recently wrote a nice article about the Stone Cold Stunner, and they nail a few reasons why it's probably the all-time best in terms of telling a great story in the ring. It's all about that perfect second of anticipation between the boot to the gut and the Stunner itself.

Also, if you keep your feet down instead of tucking your knees, you can sell the shit out of it:

GwrsBPb.gif

There's a few Japanese finishers that look awesome, but they either can't be done on all wrestlers or run the risk of extremely injuring an opponent.

The Stunner is the perfect wrestling finisher. It has the right amount of theatrics, it can be delivered very quickly, it can be hit on any wrestler, and there's next to no danger to the opponent if it's taken correctly.

Sweet Chin Music is another contender, but superkicks are used so often now that it's lost some of its luster.

QcGd7BR.jpg

Bansai drop from Yokozuna was built so well into a devastating finisher.

Hacksaw Jim Duggan made me terrified of Yokozuna. It was one of the darkest days of my life as a 8 or 9 year old.

If you haven't seen this, this serious scarred me as a child:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGS1aW7sX3o

I have a soft spot for safe finishers that are easily executed but still look devastating. There is a time when the move was botched and landed on a guys neck area and not his chest, but numerous good workers (Hart) have said the move is safe, doesn't hurt, and still looks devastating.

Also props to Scott Steiners Frankensteiner when he was in the Steiner Bros, great move from a thick guy too.

Used to love Diesel's WWF powerbomb -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AFvk3StVWQ

Also can't believe this is how they put the belt on Diesel, freaking house show, haha, and then he'd have the title for a year as ratings went in the toilet.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Not sure if its still technically a different thing, but the Lion Tamer. That was the one submission that always looked like it must have hurt so bad. Not to be confused with the current boston crab iteration of it.

impirius

Not sure if its still technically a different thing, but the Lion Tamer. That was the one submission that always looked like it must have hurt so bad. Not to be confused with the current boston crab iteration of it.
Yeah... it wasn't a problem when he was in the Cruiserweight division, but getting bigger guys to contort so he could apply the knee was too painful on them.

Piecake

So, do Japanese wrestlers experience more injuries and accidents or something? Their finishers in this thread seem pretty brutal...

Yeah... it wasn't a problem when he was in the Cruiserweight division, but getting bigger guys to contort so he could apply the knee was too painful on them.

One cool thing over the past few years is that they've quietly turned the Liontamer into a super finisher that Jericho only uses once in a while (and against smaller guys he can bend). The Walls of Jericho is a regular Boston Crab for the most part. But the Liontamer is still the one where he has a guy completely vertical and then digs his knee into their back or neck.

The commentary at Beast in the East (a Network exclusive live from Japan) even differentiated and called it a Liontamer when he did it to Neville.
See, Cole can be good when he's not being forced by people in his ear to plug products and follow a script.

Manbig

Can't beat a good old-fashioned Spinebuster from Arn Anderson:

tumblr_mnoiukuvU91ql5h4lo1_r1_400.gif

As much as I love that Spinebuster, that wasn't Arn Anderson's finisher. It was a sick DDT that was only second to Jake Roberts.

I especially loved this bit where he faked a left hand to get Alex Wright to duck into it.

andersonofih.gif

The bald dude from the Revival in NXT used this spot a few times.

Manbig

It seems like the general consensus likes one or both things in a finisher.

1. Something that can come out of nowhere and in most situations.

2. Something that looks absolutely devastating.

My vote for all time finisher goes to the DDT, because it fits both of these. It also helps that I was watching pro wrestling before the move got completely watered down. Double A and Jake Roberts were two of my favorites as a kid, and I popped hard for the DDT every damn time.

Diving headbutt was rad until the whole murderous concussion angle reared its head.
Ah who am I kidding, it's still dope.

Did anyone ever kick out of this?

hXjfD7r.gif

Greatest wrestler of all time. Heh!
forgot about this move, loved using this in wrestling games.

Fame asser
Stink face
Nah man, it's all about the OVERDRIVE!
FEuBf.gif

..wait was the angle you were going for here shit finishers or finishers related to someone's arse?

The Stunner. Easily.

I also really like any finishers that's either a running knee or a kick. Those always look cool.
I wish I could say the super kick, but the way it's used in WWE now it's not really a finisher anymore.

I think only one person ever kicked out of Jackhammer, and it was a mistake (Kevin Nash was supposed to break up the pin). That's pretty impressive in the modern era of wrestling.

Xtyle

These are so so fake.. sure I loved watching WWF as a kid back in the 90s...but how do people still like them after growing up? Serious and honest question.

venomenon

I always liked the DDT and the classic piledriver. Those moves can look completely devastating if done right (and can actually be devastating if done wrong, obviously). Way more believable than the majority of finishers in WWE today.

impirius

One cool thing over the past few years is that they've quietly turned the Liontamer into a super finisher that Jericho only uses once in a while (and against smaller guys he can bend). The Walls of Jericho is a regular Boston Crab for the most part. But the Liontamer is still the one where he has a guy completely vertical and then digs his knee into their back or neck.

The commentary at Beast in the East (a Network exclusive live from Japan) even differentiated and called it a Liontamer when he did it to Neville.
See, Cole can be good when he's not being forced by people in his ear to plug products and follow a script.
Oh man, that's such a nice detail. Thanks for that!

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Stunner.
Just enough set up with the belly kick to make the crowd pop in anticipation but also quick enough that it can happen suddenly and doesn't go on too long.
It'd also easy to pull off and can be done to anyone no matter how big or small they are. It's the perfect finisher.

thefro

It seems like the general consensus likes one or both things in a finisher.

1. Something that can come out of nowhere and in most situations.

2. Something that looks absolutely devastating.

My vote for all time finisher goes to the DDT, because it fits both of these. It also helps that I was watching pro wrestling before the move got completely watered down. Double A and Jake Roberts were two of my favorites as a kid, and I popped hard for the DDT every damn time.

Yeah, the DDT was basically the most feared finisher in WWF when Jake was a face.

Right now it'd be the Ace Crusher/Diamond Cutter/RKO, but I think the DDT makes more logical sense and is simpler.

Also those two moves can be performed on everyone, from cruiserweights to Andre & Big Show.

ReiGun

I've always like the Angle Slam.

Angle+Slam.gif

The Styles Clash is dope too.

aj-styles-vs-curtis-axel-o.gif

Randy might have been scared that he would miss it.

DDP wouldn't! ;)

If I recall correctly, he and Rollins weren't sure they would even attempt it until they were actually in the ring doing the match. They went over it, but both were scared shitless they'd botch it. Finally, feeding off the crowd, they were just like "Fuck it."

These are so so fake.. sure I loved watching WWF as a kid back in the 90s...but how do people still like them after growing up? Serious and honest question.
It's like watching any other TV show. It's all fake. I don't care that WWE isn't a legit athletic competition just like I don't care that Kit Harington isn't actually stabbing people with a longsword on Game of Thrones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom