• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GreedFall release date announcement trailer

Mista

Banned

Publisher Focus Home Interactive and developer Spiders Games have released a new trailer for GreedFall featuring the game’s recently announced September 10 release date.

Here is an overview of the game, via Focus Home Interactive:
GreedFall, the latest RPG from Spiders studio, invites you to forge your destiny on the uncharted island of Teer Fradee, when the game releases September 10 on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC. Today, get a glimpse of its world, characters and secrets in the Release Date Announcement Trailer.
The old world is dying, and its weary population is plagued by a seemingly unstoppable disease. The only glimmer of hope lies in rumors that a cure may be found on the recently discovered island of Teer Fradee. Joining your cousin, governor Constantin D’Orsay, along with various factions with their own directives and hidden agendas, journey into a new world seeping with magic. Will you align yourself with one of the new colonies, or join the natives in their struggle for liberty?
Player freedom and choice are core to GreedFall, as your decisions will build friendships, break alliances, diffuse conflicts and shape the future of the island. Exploring a brave new frontier, your search for lost secrets will rely on more than just skill in combat. Everything, whether a dialogue option, choosing a stealthy approach, or even your choice of companion in a given situation may alter the outcome.

Ivory Blood

Wow that looks good.

I liked Bound by Flame, Mars: War Logs and Technomancer. With each release Spiders games get better and better, with more polish and more everything. This one seems to continue the trend.

If I was microsoft or sony, I would pick this studio up.

One day they're going to release a game that challenges and pushes DA, DS and DD in every aspect of action, rpg, combat and storyline.

You can see in every game they have released, an understanding of the mechanics and what makes games fun, interesting and unique. While they may have missed bringing it all together in one cohesive packet, the elements are there and standx second to none, compared to most games

Fbh

I only found out about this game recently because no one seems to talk about it online but it looks great.
Love the concept, setting and art direction and I just watched some E3 gameplay and it actually looks pretty good and even the voice acting seems solid

The dev doesn't have the best track record but this really looks like it could be a step up for them.

I only found out about this game recently because no one seems to talk about it online but it looks great.
Love the concept, setting and art direction and I just watched some E3 gameplay and it actually looks pretty good and even the voice acting seems solid

The dev doesn't have the best track record but this really looks like it could be a step up for them.

I'm with you on that, nobody's talking or posting anything about this game?!😲 Found out about it myself last night when trailer popped up in the ad on YouTube..straight up pre-ordered @amazon and waiting on reviews...so I can cancel 🤭..if its whack of course.

GreyHorace

Cautiously hyped for this. There's always room for another third person action RPG that doesn't come from the usual suspects (CD Projekt Red, Bioware, Obsidian, Bethesda, From Software), and the colonial setting is an interesting backdrop that I've not seen in RPGs before.

I've not played a Spiders game before, and looking at their track record they seem to have a mixed reception. Hopefully Greedfall becomes their breakthrough hit and elevates them to the same level as studios like CD Projekt Red.

GreyHorace

Much more detailed info on the game with interviews with some of the developers. And I like that they've taken inspiration from 17th century Europe and the Colonial America's for the game.

Ivory Blood

One good thing about this game being beneath the notice of the major public, is that it's sorta immune to SJWs screeching about oppressing the natives of the magical Island and all that. Because of course they'll see them as an allegory for Native Americans or something, and the MC being the white evil moustache twirling toxic man. Despite the character creation and everything it entails.

GreyHorace

One good thing about this game being beneath the notice of the major public, is that it's sorta immune to SJWs screeching about oppressing the natives of the magical Island and all that. Because of course they'll see them as an allegory for Native Americans or something, and the MC being the white evil moustache twirling toxic man. Despite the character creation and everything it entails.
You know something, I hope the game gives us the option of being a villain. Because it's boring as hell to be playing the hero all the time in an RPG. The last time an RPG let me play the evil asshole was in Bioware's Knights of the Old Republic and Jade Empire respectively. In Dragon Age Origins you could make some evil choices but you still became the Hero of Ferelden at the end. Mass Effect on the other hand just railroaded us into the path of Shepard becoming the galactic savior, which was disappointing. And in The Witcher games Geralt mostly remains neutral to any conflict.

And yes, it's great that the SJWs haven't attacked this game for the obvious parallels to colonialism and the Native Americans. Though I'm pretty sure they will in the future once it comes out.

Ivory Blood

You know something, I hope the game gives us the option of being a villain. Because it's boring as hell to be playing the hero all the time in an RPG. The last time an RPG let me play the evil asshole was in Bioware's Knights of the Old Republic and Jade Empire respectively. In Dragon Age Origins you could make some evil choices but you still became the Hero of Ferelden at the end. Mass Effect on the other hand just railroaded us into the path of Shepard becoming the galactic savior, which was disappointing. And in The Witcher games Geralt mostly remains neutral to any conflict.

And yes, it's great that the SJWs haven't attacked this game for the obvious parallels to colonialism and the Native Americans. Though I'm pretty sure they will in the future once it comes out.
I think it will allow to at least put the needs of MC people from the old continent first over the natives - not "evil" per se, but still ruthless and practical enough to be called a villainous path.

And I would recommend you to play SWTOR - you can be really evil in that game, especially if you choose to play a Sith. Yes, it's an MMO, but these days it plays more like a single player game with some optional group content.

Last edited:
I'm super interested but they picked the worst possible time to release a new IP smack dab in the middle within a week of Gears 5 and Borderlands 3.

wtf were they thinking?

Don't know how to get hyped about this game just yet. I want to be excited but I'm also very cautious that it might be the typical spyder jank game. I hope this will be their breakout title but who knows.

sublimit

Banned
There's something in this game that attracts me and i think it;s mostly the setting and the time period.

It makes me want a game that is set in New England during the 17th century and is about the Puritans with some supernatural elements in it. Basically something like Solomon Kane but with an atmosphere more similar to that of the movie The Witch.
the_witch_a24_3.0.jpg

I think this game feels a bit close to something like that.

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
CAN'T FUCKING WAIT!!!!!!!!!!

Liked Bound By Flame, Loved The Technomancer. They make be a bit jank. But good jank.

Last edited:

Codswallop_

Neophyte
This came onto the radar out of nowhere, I'm definitely interested. You can see the lack of budget in areas like the water effects, but if this plays like 2007-era Bioware then fuck yeah I'm down.

Top Bottom