• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greenberg: Quantum Break is not coming to Steam

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Are there stats to show what percentage of PC gamers actively use these Win10 Store missing features on Steam or other clients?
Vsync off? Probably every PC Gamer. And this is a very wrong way to sell your product. Good luck getting any people to buy your game.

Lack of full screen (vs Borderless windowed, I assume?) feels like something that can be corrected by a future system update. Lack of SLI that people mentioned is probably a per-game issue, I would think.

The problem that isn't going to be easy or possible to solve under the current model is that it's sandboxed. This is helpful for security purposes and will probably make cheating prevention significantly easier if other processes can't tamper with it, but it means that any modding which can take place must be explicitly programmed into the game, and can't be done in the "normal" way. Thus 99.9% of games will just not be modifiable period.

This is something baked into the very idea of the windows store applications. It is an intentional design that has advantages, but the disadvantages don't really start to become apparent until you bump into the more hardcore PC use cases. Particularly gaming.

The only way it can satisfy us on this front is to possibly allow the deployment of conventional X86 applications as an option for things you buy on the storefront. But then you're fragmenting the store front if you can do this. Maybe you could make a specific exception for video games... I don't know. If I was someone working at Microsoft on this I'd probably have the biggest headache trying to find a good solution. What's probably just going to happen is that they'll tweak in G-sync and fullscreen support somehow, but leave the rest of it alone.

Even if you came up with a solution, good luck getting into the store when the higher ups want every tweak, cheat or mod to be a microtransaction.

Which is of course the whole point of this design.

Are there stats to show what percentage of PC gamers actively use these Win10 Store missing features on Steam or other clients?

I have no idea, I use ReShade for every single game I play, mainly for performance reasons. Deactivating all ingame AA and injecting ReShade AA with adjusted settings.

I7 4820K, 16GB RAM and 980ti, I still do this because on my display that often looks and runs better with the downsampling resolution I use.

That alone will never make me consider buying anything from the Windows Store ever!

Even if you came up with a solution, good luck getting into the store when the higher ups want every tweak, cheat or mod to be a microtransaction.

So basically Microsoft windows store is EVIL.

Absolutely.

Why do people try to marginalize this?

There are plenty of people who will champion bad ports because to them 60fps=30fps.

SLI gaming is a waste of time , etc.

wapplew

Vsync off? Probably every PC Gamer. And this is a very wrong way to sell your product. Good luck getting any people to buy your game.

I just played Gigantic on PC, there is vsnyc off option in the menu. But every time I restart the game, it just won't start as full screen by default.

Bizzare since MS own DX12 has improve tech for Multi GPU. Hopefully ROTR is just them not being familiar with PC standards and it's all fixed with Quantum Break. Help them Remedy!

Everytime I read stuff about Microsoft.

It seems like Microsoft is simultaneously so competent that they can make an OS that 80+% of people game on , Develop APIs that run on tons of games but also super evil and insanely incompetent trying to screw up everything when it comes to PC gaming.

I think the best thjing to do here is vote with your wallet. If you are not happy with it, DO not buy. SImple as. No point in going back and forth on the internet about it. It solves nothing. EVery one made DRM harsher this generation. It is upto you if you accept it. We could sit here and make threads all day baout what options we have lost. I wish this was on steam, but as someone who does't mess with PC titles, injecting etc too much it doesnt really bother me. I totally understand for those that do and i respect your opinion not to buy and to rally against it. it just doesnt affect me but I do think MS should be more open to options and I am sure they will get there. I remember when steam launched and the back lash then, its take years to become the adored platform it is now. Windows 10 store is likea year old.

Zoned

Actively hates charity

It seems like Microsoft is simultaneously so competent that they can make an OS that 80+% of people game on , Develop APIs that run on tons of games but also super evil and insanely incompetent trying to screw up everything when it comes to PC gaming.
Not just PC Gaming. It's the same thing in other services as well. Whether Apple, Google, Sony etc. They somehow always mess up great plans.

I think the best thjing to do here is vote with your wallet. If you are not happy with it, DO not buy. SImple as. No point in going back and forth on the internet about it. It solves nothing. EVery one made DRM harsher this generation. It is upto you if you accept it. We could sit here and make threads all day baout what options we have lost. I wish this was on steam, but as someone who does't mess with PC titles, injecting etc too much it doesnt really bother me. I totally understand for those that do and i respect your opinion not to buy and to rally against it. it just doesnt affect me but I do think MS should be more open to options and I am sure they will get there. I remember when steam launched and the back lash then, its take years to become the adored platform it is now. Windows 10 store is likea year old.

Most people here are with the no-steam no buy movement or the Microsoft has no idea what their doing since they made GFWL and screwed up mindset.

Yep only time will tell what happens in the end.

Not just PC Gaming. It's the same thing in other services as well. Whether Apple, Google, Sony etc. They somehow always mess up great plans.

*Cough* Valve *Cough* Bethesda *Cough* Paid Mods *Cough*

This is not part of a master plan to make your cheat codes microtransactions lol. It's an effort to have Xbox, Windows Phone and Windows on PC / Tablets / Laptops to have a unified set of applications connected to a single storefront. The Xbox / Phone and competing pure tablet operating systems all follow this model, the only way you're gonna get something like a clean common experience is to extend it to PC. And there are good sides to having programs operating in this fashion. Easier to secure things, power management is easier, programs less likely to take the whole PC with it when they fuckup, stuff like that. In the near future it's also going to be super easy to convert win10 universal apps to deploy on iOS, Android and vice versa.

tuxfool

Banned
I remember when steam launched and the back lash then, its take years to become the adored platform it is now. Windows 10 store is likea year old.

There is a slight difference in that steam provided a whole host of benefits in exchange for the problems it brought. This MS solution doesn't provide any benefits over existing solutions, only drawbacks.

This is not part of a master plan to make your cheat codes microtransactions lol. It's an effort to have Xbox, Windows Phone and Windows on PC / Tablets / Laptops to have a unified set of applications connected to a single storefront. The Xbox / Phone and competing pure tablet operating systems all follow this model, the only way you're gonna get something like a clean common experience is to extend it to PC. And there are good sides to having programs operating in this fashion. Easier to secure things, power management is easier, programs less likely to take the whole PC with it when they fuckup, stuff like that. In the near future it's also going to be super easy to convert win10 universal apps to deploy on iOS, Android and vice versa.

Are you sure its not because the people heading Microsoft have large twirly Moustache?
/s

Vuze

Gsync not working alone is a deal killer for me. I'll patiently wait and see how this whole situation plays out.

LewieP

In the near future it's also going to be super easy to convert win10 universal apps to deploy on iOS, Android and vice versa.

You think that in the near future we are going to get consumer grade mobile tech that will be able to match the performance of a desktop PC with a i5-4460, a GTX760 and 8gb of ram?

There is a slight difference in that steam provided a whole host of benefits in exchange for the problems it brought. This MS solution doesn't provide any benefits over existing solutions, only drawbacks.

That was far from the sentiment at the time. Faaaar from it. Holy crap steam was dessimated everywhere!

Just to clarify. I pre ordered half life 2 on steam to get CS source and I was actually open to steam, but man there were very few of us

Zoned

Actively hates charity
People here saying that Steam also started like that dont understand the point that Microsoft is not a startup. They are not running a freaking campaign on kickstarter. They should provide services that is at least comparable to their competitor. That's how you sell a product. It's not the other way around. When you buy a phone, you don't get the one that has features and design like something that released 6 years ago just because the company launched this year.

I would even buy the game on GOG/uPlay/Origin if they don't want to release on Steam. But not windows store.

wapplew

So basically MS trying to push a unify close platform within a open platform.

You think that in the near future we are going to get consumer grade mobile tech that will be able to match the performance of a desktop PC with a i5-4460, a GTX760 and 8gb of ram?

What does that have to do with anything? I'm explaining why the model exists in the first place. Lack of modability is a side effect of squeezing PC games into it. There will be plenty of Win games that will run on tablets and potentially high end phones, even though Quantum Break isn't one of them.

That was far from the sentiment at the time. Faaaar from it. Holy crap steam was dessimated everywhere!

People can't even remember what they ate for breakfast yesterday , you are talking about general sentiment a decade ago.

No one remembers. http://kotaku.com/steam-is-10-today-remember-when-it-sucked-1297594444

Just tried fullscreen mode, shadowplay does not record in MCwin10 fullscreen it seems. Also I cant get Riva to display in any game I have, so I might have something set weird, IDK.

Thanks for your input , honestly I think more people that bought games for Windows Store should chime in, since most people here just play from steam and don't have any first hand experience , myself included.

People here saying that Steam also started like that dont understand the point that Microsoft is not a startup. They are not running a freaking campaign on kickstarter. They should provide services that is at least comparable to their competitor. That's how you sell a product. It's not the other way around. When you buy a phone, you don't get the one that has features and design like something that released 6 years ago just because the company launched this year.

I would even buy the game on GOG/uPlay/Origin if they don't want to release on Steam. But not windows store.

They are the ones publishing the game so they can do whatever they want with that leverage same with EA when it comes to their games or CD Projekt when it comes to the Witcher Franchise.

Is it a dumb/prick move , Probably . Can they do ? Yes

Will it backfire on them ? Time will tell.

LewieP

What does that have to do with anything? I'm explaining why the model exists in the first place. Lack of modability is a side effect of squeezing PC games into it. There will be plenty of Win games that will run on tablets and potentially high end phones, even though Quantum Break isn't one of them.

Which is a good explanation for why forcing games like Quantum Break into this model is a bad idea.

Games that will actually run on mobile hardware in the next 2/3 years I can see a case for these kind of compromises being reasonable, but no one is buying Quantum Break on the Windows App Store today with plans to play it on future tech mobile devices.

Edit: It won't even run on any Surfaces, Microsoft's flagship Windows 10 devices.

Lol

no_steam_zones8uw7.gif

That 2004-5 nostalgia. I think the old version of this I saw said "thank you for installing Steam(ing pile of shit)" at the end. People hated it so bad. I hated it too. It eventually became awesome luckily.

They prioritise security and business goals before all else. Combine that with not caring about the niche market of the gaming audience (us, everyone who knows about stuff like dll injectors & co, also it's unsecure) and there you have it. It's not incompetence, it's intended business behaviour. If it fails in the end, so what, next try. It's not like this will ruin them financially anytime soon. It's a 'my way or the highway' approach and they will not compromise.

People still use Windows for other stuff than gaming, also Steam & Co work on Windows. Not really surprising so many people use it!

DieH@rd

Banned
READ

Any type of executable-level modification or injection, as well as changes to data files in some cases.

So, say goodbye to
Performance analysis overlays.
Graphics injectors.
Integration of useful external applications like Mumble.
Community fixes or feature extensions.
Freesync.
In-depth modding.
Support for popular peripherals like the Steam controller. (!)
Some GPU features such as SLI or adapter switching.
Actual exclusive full screen mode.

Wait, freesync is not avaiable for Win10 Universal apps?

WTF.

What about gsync?

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Probably only scenario where I could see MS successfully pulling PC Gamers to Windows store like how EA did with Origin using Battlefield is by releasing Halo.

Gsync not working alone is a deal killer for me. I'll patiently wait and see how this whole situation plays out.
You can use GSync on windowed games.

But fuck Microsoft for not letting PC games run like pc games after their shtick with AOE, Ms. Splosion Man, Flight Simulator, Fable, etc. on Steam.

tuxfool

Banned
I'm still waiting for people that ACTUALLY USED Windows store to share their experience in this thread. Apparently different games have different types of restrictions. Who knows.

There have been. You just need to dig through the thread, or go visit the rotter thread.

Which is a good explanation for why forcing games like Quantum Break into this model is a bad idea.

Games that will actually run on mobile hardware in the next 2/3 years I can see a case for these kind of compromises being reasonable, but no one is buying Quantum Break on the Windows App Store today with plans to play it on future tech mobile devices.

Edit: It won't even run on any Surfaces, Microsoft's flagship Windows 10 devices.

I don't know what point you're trying to make. We know it doesn't run on tablets. Making a game exclusive to the store is an attempt to dangle a carrot to attract people to it. Just as EA games running exclusively on Origin forces people who want to play those games to use the service, or people wanting to play Half Life 2 were forced to install Steam. They would like people to use the store for gaming.

Obviously, if it was my decision, the game would be on Steam too. There would be an alternate version. I was simply responding to someone saying that putting games on the Win store is an attempt to turn cheats and mods into paid microtransactions, which is just a weird assumption to make.

There have been. You just need to dig through the thread, or go visit the rotter thread.

I've read the PC performance thread. I know there are issues. But as someone has pointed out in this thread , they have different rules or whatever for different games.

I wasn't asking that question earlier about the numbers to get a rise out of people, I was just interested if those kind of metrics existed.

By taking away these features that PC gaming enthusiasts' are used to it obviously isn't going to go down well, although I do think this isn't set in stone and the store will most certainly change and adapt over the years ahead. Time will tell if they win over enough PC gamers with their offerings.

Echoplx

It's not.

Let's break down the difference between Steam and GOG when it comes to their DRM free games.

GOG:
1. Login
2. Download game
3. Do whatever you want with game

Steam:
1. Download client
2. Login
3. Download game
4. Do whatever you want with game

Does that extra step really constitute "DRM"?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

... which is essentially why PC gaming is liked by many enthusiasts. The ease of tweaking and modding not games. A lot of people go a start in the industry that way. MS's Windows Store push is a means to get a similar model to other heavily sandboxed wall gardens like iOS or any of the three big consoles. Paid multiplayer for Store titles would be possible to implement once there is enough volume of people only playing on the store... LIVE subscription money sure is sweet ;).

Let's break down the difference between Steam and GOG when it comes to their DRM free games.

GOG:
1. Login
2. Download game
3. Do whatever you want with game

Steam:
1. Download client
2. Login
3. Download game
4. Do whatever you want with game

Does that extra step really constitute "DRM"?

Piracy

1. Download Game
2. Do whatever you want with the game

Does less steps = Piracy?

Mideon

I downloaded Tomb Raider on the store and it wouldn't download to anywhere but my C: drive if I changed the drive it wouldn't download. I can't gamestream it to my TV either as it sees it as trying to modify the app. I don't mind them making this a W10 store exclusive but they really need to make the store more user friendly.

Mechazawa

This is a real god damn shame, not because of the storefront, but because I value the shit out of Shadowplay/Steam controller use.

This type of Windows store integration is just going to cause me to effectively wait months to see if Steam versions crop up/any deep discounts are applied for any single player related stuff.

Blizzard

Banned
I don't know but that sounds like some really sketchy pirate FBI shit.
It's not.
I'm saying, if I'm a game developer and I send an executable via email, you can then run it however you want afterwards (if I haven't put in additional DRM).

Likewise, some developers on Steam send an executable that you can run however you want. For example, you can run The Witness without Steam running at all. And that game even has Steam achievements.

So is Steam truly a DRM in that case? By your email argument, it would seem not.

Top Bottom