• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grew a beard for the first time in my life deep into adulthood and it has a certain power (no pics)

Marty-McFly

Banned
Yeah I know I'm way late on this but it's great. I feel and look so manly. Everyone in my life has been so used to fresh faced Marty. Getting lots of compliments which I admittedly don't really care about, but there is a certain how can I say? Power that the beard carries. People seem to trust you to take charge more. People seem more relaxed, at ease and happy in your presence. Who would have thought growing some glorified pubes on your face could be life changing?

Every other time I tried I buckled during the awkward phase. I didn't realise my follicular potential. Seems weird I waited this long to do something so simple. I guess I always associated a clean shave with cleanliness, youth and civility.

Just shooting this thread out there for anyone who was in my position to see it through the awkward itchy patchy phase until your face is adorned luxurious man armour.

I may clean shave again at some point in the future, but I think every guy needs to try this out at some point in their life and see where it goes.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Congratulations on puberty 👍

Cracking Up Reaction GIF

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
beard GIF

I don't really like beards but this comes more from the fact that mine doesn't grow that well and i look like a plucked chicken. So i keep shaved. My grandfather also kept saying that the people who don't shave themselves also do not wash themselves. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

If you are happy with your beard than i'm happy for you!

Last edited:

thefool

I use a beard (sometimes it's really big) because I have a shitty jaw. Would prefer a clean look, the beard makes me look much older.

Last edited:
I've had a beard ever since I was able to grow a proper one in my late teens. Only went clean shaven once for a friend's wedding, lol and I got bitched at cause, "we've only ever known you with a beard and you're gonna look weird in all the photos!"

My beard is mainly a product of my laziness. I hate to shave, so i wear a beard. I use a blade once a week to clean up the neckbeard, and trim with clippers once a month.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
took the plunge during covid.
there is always the initial (it looks like shit) phase until it grows out.
I look better with a beard. not sure how long I will grow it too, but from now I'm on keeping one my boat race (face)

it's not my life btw, I just look better with a beard.. I don't have the face for clean-shaven. so if I get a better look with a beard I'm gonna take it.
use beard oil (stops the face dandruff). wash your beard with whatever you wash your hair with. over time you can get it to grow a certain way by shaping it with either your hand or a brush (as you can do with your hair on your head) otherwise it just grows wildly.. don't do that.

also from your trim shave etc it to shape it and keep it about 2-3 inches above your Adam's apple maybe? (go for whatever look suits your face shape)

also when using a trimmer take your time. a hair cut takes a while so why shouldn't your beard.

Last edited:

Impotaku

The only rule of growing a beard is accept what you are given in the genetics stakes, if you can grow a full & thick crop of facial hair then bonus enjoy the experience. However if you have been cursed with weak facial hair that's super patchy & looks like a bunch of pubes stuck to your face then it's best to accept your lot in life & shave it so you don't look like someone in the example below, was trying to find a better pic online of a terrible beard but this one should be good enough to get at what i mean.
f2mba5spaj701.jpg

In no situation does a beard like the one above look good.

HarryKS

If you don't have a personality, grow a beard. At least you'll have a gimmick or an ersatz upon which you can rely to squeeze out something meaningful.

TheMan

The only rule of growing a beard is accept what you are given in the genetics stakes, if you can grow a full & thick crop of facial hair then bonus enjoy the experience. However if you have been cursed with weak facial hair that's super patchy & looks like a bunch of pubes stuck to your face then it's best to accept your lot in life & shave it so you don't look like someone in the example below, was trying to find a better pic online of a terrible beard but this one should be good enough to get at what i mean.
f2mba5spaj701.jpg

Even this guy would look better if he trimmed that a bit.

Beards are awesome and don't let anybody tell you otherwise. My only gripe with having a beard is when it gets super itchy, but other than that I look better and feel older with one.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Already did the beard thing out of high school do I like beards?

daniel bryan yes GIF

… well enjoy the beard!

200.gif

Fbh

I need some expert opinions.
I have dark blonde hair but my beard is red.
Does that mean I have half a soul?

daveonezero

Banned
Even this guy would look better if he trimmed that a bit.
Yeah if he cleaned it up it’s look better. And then grow better. I fortunately can just let mine go. It looks fine. But it’s nice to get it trimmed.
Pain in the ass for me to do it myself.

Artoris

Gold Member
f2mba5spaj701.jpg

That's a clean shave for me then

f2mba5spaj701.jpg

Jesus Christ man cut those fucking nails!

xnTSDzX.gif

GloveSlap

I need some expert opinions.
I have dark blonde hair but my beard is red.
Does that mean I have half a soul?
My hair is brown, but my beard went from blonde to red to half white/ half red in my 20s. I can grow it full, but it would make me look stupid and much older. Maybe when i'm an old man and its fully white.

I hate the way a beard feels anyway though, plus i have a strong jawline already. It does look good on a lot of people though. Especially for people that are bald or have a weak or double-chin.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Beards got so trendy that I'm a bit tired of them. Still, I recognize their power and utilize it when necessary.
I don't think they'll ever go out of style again. Just men taking their power back after the Gillette era.

I love a nice clean shave though. It feels great.

Last edited:
I've grown a beard twice. Got to about six inches thick all around and kept it neat with clipers and a razor. I much prefer a clean shave nowadays, beards are cool though.

Mossybrew

Never had that "awkward itchy patch", I've kept my beard, usually fairly well trimmed, for the last 4 years or so. Mainly because I'm too lazy to shave every day.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Never had that "awkward itchy patch", I've kept my beard, usually fairly well trimmed, for the last 4 years or so. Mainly because I'm too lazy to shave every day.
My beard is a light sandy brown, maybe it's because of the color but it doesn't look right until the hair settles and lays down properly.

At the start it stuck out too much. Maybe it was the texture.

Rikkori

Everyone looks better with a beard but for me it ultimately breaks down as it's too messy & somewhat unhygenic compared to shaving, never mind all the maintenance. And if you care about it from a woman's pov so you look better for that it's actually the 5 o'clock shadow of a 3-4 day stubble after shaving that makes a man most attractive (not gonna go find the study, look into it).

Raven117

Depends. I look great with a little devil may care scruff...full beard looks dumb on me.

Truly good looking dudes can go clean shaven...which I do (and then get scruffy).

Top Bottom