• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grey Goo |OT| Nanomachines son!

Interfectum

The last goo mission is kickin my ass

Best advice I can give is build an epic unit ASAP and take out one of the factions as quickly as you can. Also, with your starting units toss them in the trees that are near your base so you don't lose them immediately to small skirmishes.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I actually had a harder time with the second to last goo mission then the last one. Those 2 hands of Ruk, ugh.

So my computer's pretty decent. I can run Starcraft 2 on max settings at a consistent frame rate. Grey Goo however is chugging in skirmish (haven't tried campaign yet). It's just about playable but no way near consistently smooth enough to be enjoyable. The lag is rendering this game unplayable for me. Anyone know of any performance tweaks I can execute in the settings to get this to run faster? I've already shifted the detail down from "2" to "1" and that didn't make much difference.

Help would be appreciated! For reference: AMD A6-4400M Dual Core 2.7 GHz and AMD Radeon HD 7520G. 6GB RAM.

Update 1: Going to be update my display drivers now. Apparently I'm running drivers from last November when Catalyst Omega was released in December. Catalyst Omega is supposed to feature massive performance improvements so I'm hoping that this has a positive effect on the performance of Grey Goo.

Update 2: Updated my display drivers to Catalyst Omega. The developers have released a patch that they claim resolves the issues. Other users on their forums are reporting frame rate improvements so I'm going to download it and see if that improves my performance. Shall report back.

It's pretty laggy for me sometimes too. Running it in borderless windowed helps but doesn't eliminate the lag from having a lot of units on the screen. Makes menus tons smoother, though.

It's pretty laggy for me sometimes too. Running it in borderless windowed helps but doesn't eliminate the lag from having a lot of units on the screen. Makes menus tons smoother, though.

Yeah I've been investigating the issue all night and the developers are aware of the issue and are apparently working hard to develop and release a performance patch. From what I've played the game is spectacular. I'm not getting a stable enough frame rate though to enjoy it and continue playing. The issue seems to be that the frame rate starts off stable and then as the game progresses the frame rate and overall performance devolves over time until the game is rendered unplayable.

As I said though Petroglyph is acutely aware of this and they're working on a performance patch that they intend to release soon.

huxley00

Picked it up on a friends recommendation, really enjoying it. Some people are hating on it for its old school aspects, but I love it. As a somewhat casual RTS'er, I find it much easier to wrap my head around a game where units only have one ability each. I'm on the 5th mission on hard and having a great time trying to fulfill the alt objectives, definitely a recommend.

huxley00

The fuck? On the 4th mission during the first campaign, within 2 minutes of starting the mission I get assaulted by about 8-10 Goo. I only had 1 unit at my disposal, there was no way I could get more units from the factory in that time. Playing on Hard.

I had the same issue, just had to restart the mission. If you build a wall quickly enough, you'd be surprised how much damage it can take on.

Picked it up on a friends recommendation, really enjoying it. Some people are hating on it for its old school aspects, but I love it. As a somewhat casual RTS'er, I find it much easier to wrap my head around a game where units only have one ability each. I'm on the 5th mission on hard and having a great time trying to fulfill the alt objectives, definitely a recommend.

Old school? My first impression of GG is how it streamlined every element of RTS that needed streamlining and kept the good ol' bits intact. I find it's very modern in that respect. What aspects have you seen others take issue with? Just curious.

huxley00

Old school? My first impression of GG is how it streamlined every element of RTS that needed streamlining and kept the good ol' bits intact. I find it's very modern in that respect. What aspects have you seen others take issue with? Just curious.

Mainly, it isn't as tactically engaging as something like StarCraft 2. Units have a single ability, less micromanagement and a more streamlined presentation. That's what I've been hearing from some people anyway.

Jinroh

I'm very bad at this game, or the missions are really hard.

At first I tried to complete the bonus objectives of the third beta mission, but I don't even know how it's possible, even when the difficulty is set to normal.

How is it possible to level their base before they accumulate 25'000 resources? They attack constantly once I start producing advanced units.

huxley00

At first I tried to complete the bonus objectives of the third beta mission, but I don't even know how it's possible, even when the difficulty is set to normal.

How is it possible to level their base before they accumulate 25'000 resources? They attack constantly once I start producing advanced units.

You can attack through a group of bushes/trees in the northwest corner of the map. These trees go outside the border of their walls. Build up a decent squad to take down the defenses in that location. Then, you have an open path to their base core. Kill their command center and they lose power to all their other defenses.

Still can't play this at an acceptable frame rate. Don't suppose you guys know of any performance enhancements I could execute to get this game running faster? I have a dual-core AMD processor and a Radeon HD 7520. I was hoping AMD would release new drivers to potentially increase compatibility but their latest ones are the Catalyst Omega drivers from December and I have those installed. Petroglyph says the performance and frame rate issues are affecting a significant number of users regardless of their hardware specifications. They have a patch planned for this week that may improve performance but they haven't specifically announced whether it'll include frame rate enhancements yet.

If anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it.

Honestly I had zero trouble with this mission on normal, and I'm in the same boat as you - I'm not particularly good and have a hell of a time on most maps. This one definitely felt like a breather, though. Best advice I can offer is don't worry about secondary objectives - there's really no benefit to fulfilling them.

Gothos

Holy shit, it's the first RTS game that I failed in the first mission, haha :D I blame the lack of proper tutorial ;)
Anyway, I like what I saw and lol@the intro - at first I thought my language in Steam was set for some exotic language :D

Hari Seldon

Listening to the Three Moves Ahead podcast about this is making me have an RTS itch. How large can you do multiplayer comp stomps? My biggest issue with SC2 is that it doesn't allow 4 player multi comp stomping.

This is a fun game, but the player population seems really low. I've only played partway through the human part of the campaign and opened the map editor to check it out.

Saw a host of upcoming balance changes on their forums, what's the thought here why this game isn't more popular? The Blizzard hegemony? Is it that it caters to more of a specialized (or quirky [use whatever word you want]) taste in games? Price-point too high for most people post-holidays?

lazygecko

This is a fun game, but the player population seems really low. I've only played partway through the human part of the campaign and opened the map editor to check it out.

Saw a host of upcoming balance changes on their forums, what's the thought here why this game isn't more popular? The Blizzard hegemony? Is it that it caters to more of a specialized (or quirky [use whatever word you want]) taste in games? Price-point too high for most people post-holidays?

I would say the nearly non-existant marketing probably isn't doing it any favors.

I'm willing to bet it's the high price point coupled with relative lack of marketing. You can forgive one or the other but rarely both at the same time. Excellent game that will unfortunately become a footnote because its publisher had enough faith in it to price it at $50 but not enough to advertise its existence.

Sinatar

It's the price for sure. $50 for an 8 hour campaign and 8 multiplayer maps is quite an ask given what it's competitors offer for similar or less.

If it was $30 and had a demo, I imagine it would have had a much longer tail.

Serianox

It's the price for sure. $50 for a 8 hour campaign and 8 multiplayer maps is quite an ask given what it's competitors offer for similar or less.

If it was $30 and had a demo, I imagine it would have had a much longer tail.

The game population should gradually improve once the game enters the sales cycle.

The game population should gradually improve once the game enters the sales cycle.
I guess time will tell. They are opening a Public Test Branch through steam to test out new balance adjustments. I hate playing the guinea pig but the player base is so low that I'm tempted to give it a go when the window opens.

That last patch has the A.I. acting weird, like it gets distracted mid-game and becomes a pushover (moreso than before).

I hope these issues get ironed out in the next couple weeks.

If it goes on sale at 50%, any chance they'd give people that paid full price a copy to give away? Not that there is a way to know this but has anyting similar occured, or would that help boost the player-base? If those that got a free copy like it then maybe they would pass the gesture on to another potential player and gift a copy of the game. Really, I'm just thinking out loud and don't know if that would fly or not.

Tizoc

Game is discounted on Steam atm, might go cheaper during Winter Seal, but one of my fav. RTS-style games is Dune 2000, if I enjoyed playing that would I enjoy Grey Goo?

Sinatar

Game is discounted on Steam atm, might go cheaper during Winter Seal, but one of my fav. RTS-style games is Dune 2000, if I enjoyed playing that would I enjoy Grey Goo?

Well it's made by what used to be Westwood Studios and has that classic Westwood RTS feel to it.

It's a free weekend, so why not download it and give it a shot for yourself.

Tizoc

The free weekend lasts til the discount ends right?
I'll download it soon and try to put some time into playing it tomorrow.

Tizoc

Played for about an hour, it has stuff that do remind me of Dune 2000 hah.

One thing though:
If I want the other units, I should build a factory on a medium hub and connect the 3 tech facilities right? Otherwise I build a small hub but have factory+1 tech facility correct?

Mind you I was never that good in these types of games but I do enjoy them, so I just play this on Easy :p

I'll try to put a few more hours into it when I get back home and if I like it enough I'll buy it otherwise I'll wait til Winter Seal ^^;

So guys, is this game worth the price of admission at the current Steam discount of 60%? Is the online any good? Is the campaign fun?

Sinatar

So guys, is this game worth the price of admission at the current Steam discount of 60%? Is the online any good? Is the campaign fun?

The campaign is excellent. The multiplayer is good, but unfortunately the community is pretty much dead, but if it's any consolation the skirmish AI is absolutely fantastic.

Sinatar

So there is a free DLC coming out tomorrow that's adding an entire 4th faction and some story missions for them.

Looks like they are relaunching the game as the 'definitive edition'.

TheTrain

Wat, seriously? What a great news, a 4th race is an huge risk. Glad to see that they are not abandoning the project, it really is an underrated game

LordOfChaos

So there is a free DLC coming out tomorrow that's adding an entire 4th faction and some story missions for them.

Looks like they are relaunching the game as the 'definitive edition'.

Here's the trailer for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdixB-dVx9c

Seems like the whole campaign was planned with this DLC in mind, though at least it's free so it's not like they chunked it up to filter feed us. Just more dev time needed for the small team I guess.

dave_m123

Got to the last Goo mission and I'm done. Way to difficult.

Not a bad game but the campaign story and voice acting where a bit bleh.

Top Bottom