• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GripShift (PS3) Revealed

Yoboman

Man I'm gonna need a huge HDD for my PS3 :lol Anybody know if you have to pay again if you delete something from your HDD?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Ynos Yrros said:
WTH? They are putting a great full game that looks great and has enough content to be sold as a normal Wii game, for 10$, and you're still bitching?

Yes. Because it's stupid. RR7 already allows to do that, and it's a launch title. I don't get why Sony wouldn't "allow" developers other than Namco to add that feature (which should be a ****ing given).

Mr Toast

Holy shit, only $10? I would have thought it would have been well worth $30+ if it had an expanded create-a-track system (edit - oh, so that's not in the main pack?). Still - insta-sale, looks hot. :)

Busty

Banned
Mario said:
That is currently the case. We hope to resolve that later with a free patch, assuming Sony allows us to do that.

TTP said:
it's stupid. RR7 already allows to do that, and it's a launch title. I don't get why Sony wouldn't "allow" developers other than Namco to add that feature (which should be a ****ing given).

He isn't saying that Sony may or may not allow them to add that particular feature, he's saying that he isn't sure if Sony will alllow them to add the feature with a free downloadable patch.

Gazunta

This looks awesome Mario! Can't wait to play it
when you port it to Xbox Live Marketplace please please please I can't afford a PS3

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Gazunta said:
This looks awesome Mario! Can't wait to play it
when you port it to Xbox Live Marketplace please please please I can't afford a PS3

:lol :lol :lol

Yeah, good luck with that.

FoxhoundNL said:
I love Sony and their online support. First letting Europeans get a name before launch and now Gripshift for only 10 bucks :D
You know that come march-may Gripshift for us in europe will not be £5, more like £10

Diablohead said:
You know that come march-may Gripshift for us in europe will not be £5, more like £10
Yeah, but since I live in the Netherlands I guess it will be like €10,- which is still a great price for such a great game, in my opinion :D

Doctor_No

Yoboman said:
Man I'm gonna need a huge HDD for my PS3 :lol Anybody know if you have to pay again if you delete something from your HDD?

No, you can DL again for free, up to five-times. I've DL Blastfactor at least 4 times (Linux install, friends place, new HDD, etc.) I'm kinda worried what will happen later, but I do have the purchase number/receipt that is sent to you via email I'm thinking I could call customer up and get it reactivated as well.

Diablohead said:

In terms of the european online store, while still being extremley vague, a spokesman for SCE europe was able to explain that Sony would have no defense if they were to charge the european consumer more than in other regions as there are no extra costs on digital distribution as apposed to a product with packaging etc. So expect a $15.00 download to cost people in the UK around £6.50.

http://threespeech.com/blog/?p=219

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Great job Mario. I hope you guys can get this game out before the first week of January.

And if it isn't to much to ask can you answer this question? Did Gripshift for the PS3 cost $500,000 or less to make?

Busty

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
Great job Mario. I hope you guys can get this game out before the first week of January.

And if it isn't to much to ask can you answer this question? Did Gripshift for the PS3 cost $500,000 or less to make?

Though I doubt that Mario will be able tell us. I also would like to know that. Perhaps Mario could tell us if Gripshift is a success, could his studio (and others like it) perhaps start to dedicate more of their resources to original download titles.

I would love to see smaller studios have downloadable games be a viable option in terms of revenue for them, rather than having to sell the farm to pay for a disc based game.

This is by no means a troll, but some said it before and it really does strike me as true. This seems large enough in terms of gameplay and features to be a disc based Wii game, and for just ten dollars (perhaps £6?), a real steal.

Dilbert

Back on topic -- the original game was a lot of fun (even though my own suckitude caused me endless frustration at times), so I'm glad that they can leverage their investment on new platforms. It was definitely a unique title...and I hope everyone can agree that new and creative gameplay is a good thing, yes?

Also, $10 is a steal.

FoxSpirit

Agent Icebeezy said:
You need credit cards for this shit? Hmm, I've given up on them long ago. I hope that they come out with cards a la MS points

Get a prepaid credit card, completely safe and you don't need a banking account. Like Visa electron prepaid... saved me all the fluff in getting accepted... also prevents deficit spending :D

Norse

Norse said:
Mario,

1. voice chat in multi player games?
2. can we listen to our own music off the ps3 hdd in game instead of game music?
3. please make a R-TYPE style side scrolling shooter next for PSN....these new consoles with the hidef screens are just shouting out for killer side scrollers

???

rastex

Banned
Kudos to Mario and team. For $10 this is a fantastic deal. I remember Mario expressing some frustration with the XBLA team many months ago, so I wish those issues get resolved, though I'm not TOO hopeful. 300MB is way past the XBLA limit, so I'd like to dedicate this sentence to once again reiterate my frustration with Microsoft's stupidity on 50MB cap. Back on topic, I hope you guys get some great sales from this, it'll be interesting to see what kind of ecosystem the PSN develops in regards to games and such. This is definitely a step in the right direction.

mckmas8808

Busty said:
Though I doubt that Mario will be able tell us. I also would like to know that. Perhaps Mario could tell us if Gripshift is a success, could his studio (and others like it) perhaps start to dedicate more of their resources to original download titles.

I would love to see smaller studios have downloadable games be a viable option in terms of revenue for them, rather than having to sell the farm to pay for a disc based game.

This is by no means a troll, but some said it before and it really does strike me as true. This seems large enough in terms of gameplay and features to be a disc based Wii game, and for just ten dollars (perhaps £6?), a real steal.

David Jaffe told us that Calling All Cars cost $1M to make. I'm just curious how much this game cost, because they actually had levels, assets, etc already made and ported it over compeletly in 3 months.

I'm guessing no more than $500,000.

theBishop

Banned
Doctor_No said:
No, you can DL again for free, up to five-times. I've DL Blastfactor at least 4 times (Linux install, friends place, new HDD, etc.) I'm kinda worried what will happen later, but I do have the purchase number/receipt that is sent to you via email I'm thinking I could call customer up and get it reactivated as well.

Is it 5-times total, or to 5 different machines?

J-Rzez

It was a blast on PSP, so i'm down for this... It's nice to see the route downloadables are taking on the PSN, Sony has done their homework here...

I'm also shocked how many people don't have debit cards here... That's what I use for my purchases...

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Norse said:
1. voice chat in multi player games?

Not at this time. Another item we are looking to add in a patch.

2. can we listen to our own music off the ps3 hdd in game instead of game music?

No.

Busty said:
He isn't saying that Sony may or may not allow them to add that particular feature, he's saying that he isn't sure if Sony will alllow them to add the feature with a free downloadable patch.

Correct.

Perhaps Mario could tell us if Gripshift is a success, could his studio (and others like it) perhaps start to dedicate more of their resources to original download titles.

We are already working on other original downloadable titles.

Oni Jazar said:
Why isn't this game in 1080p?

The lame excuse is we had a small team of about 8 working with PS3 for only 3 months. We also had 2 graphics libraries to choose from, and in hindsight chose the wrong one. This is another item we wish to resolve in a patch.

On the plus side, the game currently runs at 60fps, which we considered was more important for the title than 1080p for launch.

mckmas8808 said:
Did Gripshift for the PS3 cost $500,000 or less to make?

Less than $500k.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Mario said:
Not at this time. Another item we are looking to add in a patch.

No.

Correct.

The lame excuse is we had a small team of about 8 working with PS3 for only 3 months. We also had 2 graphics libraries to choose from, and in hindsight chose the wrong one. This is another item we wish to resolve in a patch.

On the plus side, the game currently runs at 60fps, which we considered was more important for the title than 1080p for launch.

Less than $500k.

60fps? Good man.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Mario said:
Less than $500k.

So assuming you as the developer gets 50% of those 9,99$ (dunno how much Sony takes from the pie) you need less than 100k people to buy the game to break even? :)

mckmas8808

Mario said:

Less than $500k.

Titles? More than one? Cool. How many can you see the team releasing for PSN next year (2007)?

And only 8 guys? How does it feel to make a game that requires less than 2 handfuls of people? Is it refreshing?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I really appreciate taking your time to answer these questions Mario.

Oh, and yes, 60fps >>>> 1080p

Kittonwy

Banned
Yoboman said:

Nope. I installed a 100GB in there and I just redownloaded lemmings which I have already paid for.

Kittonwy said:
Nope. I installed a 100GB in there and I just redownloaded lemmings which I have already paid for.

Did it use one of your five licenses for Lemmings? What is your current available license count for that title?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Mario said:
Psst. Tell Sega you want to use the Gripshift engine to do 2.5d oldschool Sonic for them. Seems like the GS engine could be almost perfectly adapted for something like that.

Blunty

This actually sounds and looks really awesome. For only $10, that's really good, i'll definetly get it. Any kind of additional stuff for the Europe PS3 launch (where I assume the game will launch on the PS store straight away), or will just be the same game with just the patches released for the US already built in?

I nearly bought the game for PSP, but didn't in the end. It does look like great fun though. I really hope this does well, 'cause if it does, then I would have thought that it will make a lot of developers take notice of service. Having said that, a lot already have - David Jaffe, Factor 5, More from Flow creators, and now this... Looking good.

Kittonwy

Banned
Does this mean I will have to download yet another game from the store? Oh my online wallet!!!
cry.gif

That said, since I have a 100GB in there now, I'm probably going to go a little crazy with the downloading.
kawaii.gif

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
TTP said:
So assuming you as the developer gets 50% of those 9,99$ (dunno how much Sony takes from the pie) you need less than 100k people to buy the game to break even? :)

Given both SCEA and SOE will each be taking a cut, the break even number of sales is a reasonable amount. However, if we managed to sell 100,000 copies then we'd have a pretty big smile on our faces.

mckmas8808 said:
Titles? More than one? Cool. How many can you see the team releasing for PSN next year (2007)?

Can't really elaborate any details at this stage, but its possible there is another PSN release from us before the end of 07.

And only 8 guys? How does it feel to make a game that requires less than 2 handfuls of people? Is it refreshing?

We aren't really strangers to small teams. The original GripShift was done with a core team of around 7 from memory.

Certainly helps keep everybody focused and motivated, though we still need to work on our project planning and execution. When you have such a small team with short deadlines and things aren't always going well, it can be pretty hard work for the guys.

blunty said:
Any kind of additional stuff for the Europe PS3 launch (where I assume the game will launch on the PS store straight away), or will just be the same game with just the patches released for the US already built in?

At a minimum the game will be localised into various European languages for European launch. Any patches or improvements should be available in that version as standard. No European specific content beyond localisations is planned at this point.

Kittonwy said:
Does this mean I will have to download yet another game from the store?

Yes, yes it does. :)

Busty

Banned
Blunty said:
This actually sounds and looks really awesome. For only $10, that's really good, i'll definetly get it. Any kind of additional stuff for the Europe PS3 launch (where I assume the game will launch on the PS store straight away), or will just be the same game with just the patches released for the US already built in?

I nearly bought the game for PSP, but didn't in the end. It does look like great fun though. I really hope this does well, 'cause if it does, then I would have thought that it will make a lot of developers take notice of service. Having said that, a lot already have - David Jaffe, Factor 5, More from Flow creators, and now this... Looking good.

Agreed. I really like how ambitious Sony are being with their download service. I just hope that they don't release they games at a trickle like XBLA, and that they keep their competitive pricing structure.

Baring in mind that we still haven't really seen what original games Japanese devs have planned for PSN, I think that the line up is exciting already at a price that can't be beaten. Wasn't there talk a while back that Digital Polyphony were considering doing a PSN game?

Seeing as we already have Sony affiliates like Factor 5, Insomniac and SOE working on stuff for PSN I wonder if the next break out hit IP could be a download game? Interesting times ahead.

GHG

I want something like this on XBLA now. Everything on there (bar Geometry wars) is lackluster ATM.

This and Motorstorm make me want a PS3. March :( . £425 :( :( .

GHG said:
I want something like this on XBLA now. Everything on there (bar Geometry wars) is lackluster ATM.

Well, Mad Tracks is coming to XBLA. But as usual, you really need to buy all systems if you want all the best games. The same applies to the downloadable games.

Top Bottom