• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GS: Call of Duty 3 PS3 Updated Hands-On

artist

Banned
link

The third primary installment in the Call of Duty series is fast approaching, and we got our hands on the coveted PlayStation 3 version today at Sony's San Francisco press event to try out a previously unseen level. Today's demo was set in Laison, France, and it cast us as a member of the Canadian military attempting to shut down a battalion of Germans who were pinning us down with large artillery on the far side of a river. The demo featured action typical of the Call of Duty franchise--in this case, intense firefights through trenches with a handful of allies against wave after wave of German soldiers.

Most interestingly, we got to see some new uses of the Sixaxis controller in Call of Duty 3. Previously, we reported that the controller's motion-sensing function would only be used to perform melee attacks, but today we found it could be employed in a number of other areas. For one, when we cleared the Nazi opposition guarding the artillery guns we were trying to blow up, we engaged a minigame that had us planting explosives on that weaponry to put it out of commission. We had to hit a succession of buttons to plant the charges and insert the firing pin, and then we had to twist the controller as if we were winding in the pin to enable the explosive.

The Laison level also offered some vehicular action: namely, you'll have to drive a jeep through part of the mission to get to where you need to go. Again, the Sixaxis could be used here essentially like a steering wheel to guide the jeep, though of course you'll be able to use the controller's traditional controls for everything if you prefer. The game sure did look good, though. It didn't look qualitatively better than the Xbox 360 version we've spent a lot of time with, though we noted the frame rate was consistent throughout our entire demo. That's because the many cores of the PS3's Cell processor are handling different parts of the game discretely, which apparently gives the developers more breathing room to implement various visual and aural effects without worrying about dragging down the frame rate too much.

Call of Duty 3 seems to be shaping up nicely on every platform, so diehard fans of this popular World War II series will serve themselves well to check it out on their console platform of choice. The PlayStation 3 version in particular is currently slated to hit shelves on the system's launch date, November 17th, so stay tuned for a full review.

rod

Banned
isnt cod3 ps3 running at 30fps and the 360 version running at 60fps?
and WTF didnt we get a completely different hands on from ign yesterday? :?

Dahbomb

It wasn't a hands on from IGN, it was Matt Cassahina saying something about the 360 version looking MUCH better than the PS3 version. Obvious there is a contradiction here.

Seems like a significantly updated build, with a new level shown, and the PS3 sixaxis controller features shown. And the commentary of "It didn't look qualitatively better than the Xbox 360" doesn't sound anything like the 360 is a superior version that Matt made it out to me. It either sounds like their equal or the one version is very slightly better (but not to any effect)

artist

Banned
Dahbomb said:
It wasn't a hands on from IGN, it was Matt Cassahina saying something about the 360 version looking MUCH better than the PS3 version. Obvious there is a contradiction here.
Also Matt's observation was based off an old build, this hands on being the latest is more valid.

Matt is a dumbass. He also said Lair was using all known texture techniques and blah blah blah but the game just looked lame at TGS.

No one should listen to Matt the attention whore

artist

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
Matt is a dumbass. He also said Lair was using all known texture techniques and blah blah blah but the game just looked lame at TGS.

Thread derailment commence!

:/

Doom_Bringer said:

Do you know what you are even talking about anymore? What the heck does Lair using texture techniques got to do with this?

Here's a hint...multi-layer texturing...Factor 5 knows it.

LevelNth

Banned
He made it sound like while the PS3 version doesn't really look much better (if at all) than the 360's, it does have a stable framerate (implying the 360's doesn't?). Kinda wierd wording.

NOT THAT THIS SHOULD MATTER TO ANYONE, because it's Treyarch, and they suck, no matter what system they're on.
Funny how much of a 180 this is though.

Somebody better get this shit straightened out ASAP! I need to know which one to pick up. Hopefully it is the 360 version so I can play it earlier.

Dahbomb

Great Poster said:
Somebody better get this shit straightened out ASAP! I need to know which one to pick up. Hopefully it is the 360 version so I can play it earlier.
You should just get GOW/Rainbow 6 for the 360 and Resistance for PS3.

Dahbomb said:
You should just get GOW/Rainbow 6 for the 360 and Resistance for PS3.

I already have GOW and Resistance paid for with trade-ins at EB.

R6 and CoD3 are part of my TRU buy 2 get 1 free plans.

I shall buy all of these games and just look at them because I have no free time as it is. Maybe I'll read on GAF about how great/shitty they are...but playing? Not so much. Then I'll end up trading them in next fall for the new flavors of the month.

What is wrong with me?

NinSoX

Banned
I could have sworn I've seen MUCH better vids months ago. The animations and framerate are really jerky here. what happened?

What the deal with the on-line portion of the PS3 version? That will be the make or break deal for me as to which system I get it for.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
MrSardonic said:
the sixaxis stuff sounds extremely gimmicky
Pressing buttons to plant bombs sounds gimmicky too, but it's essentially an interactive cutscene which is the kind of stuff I find fun once in a while. Twisting the controller is just nicer for the action required than a button press, you'll have to agree. Also, driving the jeep using the tilting and moving is exactly one of the things this kind of controller should be used for in my opinion.

persiannight said:
What the deal with the on-line portion of the PS3 version? That will be the make or break deal for me as to which system I get it for.

It will be online just like the 360 version.

So COD3 actually looks better on PS3 although not much better. Nice job Matt, I would expect a stunt like this from IGN. And the game doesn't look that good anyway.

Raistlin

The Laison River level from the PS3 Gamers Day Conference looked pretty damn good IMO.

The swaying trees and grass are ace.

Safe Bet

Banned
...seems to be shaping up nicely on every platform, so diehard fans of this popular World War II series will serve themselves well to check it out on their console platform of choice.
And this is how every multi-plat should be, imo..

I'm so freakin sick of this "which is the better version" bullshit. It does nothing but create unrest within the community and confuse the casual gamer.

Raistlin

Safe Bet said:
And this is how every multi-plat should be, imo..

I'm so freakin sick of this "which is the better version" bullshit. It does nothing but create unrest within the community and confuse the casual gamer.

In this case though ... multiplayer may end up playing a little difference based on the PS3's grass shaders.

Something to consider.

bud

360 version = 720p/60fps
PS3 version = 1080p/30fps (looks slightly better)

Is this right or not?

Raistlin

Bud said:
What is it then?

Not sure we know the details of framerates, etc. at this point.

The PS3 is using some shaders that are not in the 360 version ... Watch the video posted above for some examples (grass that gets trampled, and therefore effects multiplayer since you can track)

bud

RaijinFY said:
Why do you think CoD3 runs at 1080p natively? Do you have a link where It is stated?

No, but I'm pretty sure I read it in another thread. Some thread about the games being playable at some eb convention or something...do you know what I'm talking about?

raviolico

Onix said:
The PS3 is using some shaders that are not in the 360 version ... Watch the video posted above for some examples (grass that gets trampled, and therefore effects multiplayer since you can track)

huh.....wasn`t this also announced/listed/mentioned as a X360 feature?

Top Bottom