• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA 6: Ray-Tracing Will Be A Huge Focus For Rockstar

Don Carlo

From the article cover that found the listing:

Ever since the GTA 6 trailer dropped, it was clear that visuals would be a huge part of the game. According to analysis, it showed a heavy emphasis on ray-traced shadows and reflections.

Several months later, a new listing confirms that GTA 6 will indeed focus on ray-tracing for its visuals.

Why it matters:
This would make GTA 6 Rockstar Games’ first AAA game to be built around ray-tracing.
Rockstar job listing

According to a job listing on Rockstar Games’ Linkedin, the team is looking for a ‘Senior Graphics Programmer.’ This position requires someone with experience in using real-time ray-tracing APIs. The evidence aligns with what the first trailer showcased.
I mean, I'm sure Rockstar is expecting to blow us away on the visuals front, but this seems like some nice confirmation.

Rockstar's along with a small handful of other studios have always chased bleeding edge visuals in games. I suspect they'll push the ray-tracing technology to feats with GTA 6.

I'm really curious to see how the game and its RT implementation will run on the PS5 Pro.

killatopak

If true, that dampens my Switch 2 release dreams. I even doubt it would do well on Series S much less on the Switch 2.

WitchHunter

Banned
I vividly remember when 3Dfx announced the Tarolli buffer soft shadows and other nifty things. AND EVERYONE SHAT ON IT. But 20 years later... oooohhhhhhhhhh aaahhhhhhhhhhhh.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Feel like a lot of people could have told you this five years ago. GTA VI was always going to be Vice City, you know, the place with all the really nice looking neon lights everywhere..? Boy, they'd sure look good with some decent realistic light technology...

consoul

Experience with real-time ray tracing "not required to apply for this position."
=
GTA6 built around ray-tracing. HUGE focus!

amigastar

I mean Raytracing seems logical since they target PS5 Pro as their go to console probably.
I can see the specs for PC, an RTX 5070.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Skills specifically listed as not being required:
Ray tracing
Somehow the takeaway:
Rockstar are going all in on ray tracing

Kenpachii

Those consoles aint going to run RT for shit in such game, so highly doubt they care much other then a tacked on feature.

marjo

How is it a ‘no-brainer’ when the article’s premise is completely wrong?

Well, to be fair, the job posting does say that ray-tracing experience, while not required, is desirable.

I think the bigger point is that this is for Rockstar Toronto which, in the past, has been responsible for the Windows ports of the GTA games. Nothing at all to do with consoles.

hlm666

Well, to be fair, the job posting does say that ray-tracing experience, while not required, is desirable.

I think the bigger point is that this is for Rockstar Toronto which, in the past, has been responsible for the Windows ports of the GTA games. Nothing at all to do with consoles.
Interesting observation since the 2 apis actually listed are somewhat pc specific aswell.

Looking for that senior position at this stage though makes one think chances of a pc release at or close to console launch is rather low. Unless the release is further away than we think in general.

Top Bottom