• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA is famous for satirizing America, will R* have the balls to satirize the current climate?

Will R* stick to their guns for GTAVI and do what they do best and that's making fun of everyone?

• Yes, R*'s big d**k attitude will not be tainted by a few online opinions and trusts in the masses.

Votes: 62 43.4%
  • No, even a behemoth like R* can not stand up to the wannabe lobbyists.

Votes: 81 56.6%

• Total voters

ButchCat

GTA has always fancied itself as a franchise that likes to comment on America's most current events especially in the political realm. It's been over seven years since their last release and a lot has changed in the western world. So the question is, with GTAVI being R*'s next release, do you think R* will stay true to their identity and comment on cancel culture or do you think Take Two will be scared of being cancelled? Or seeing how a big portion of the gaming industry is left leaning perhaps their own staff will take offense to their own game.

Edit: I've noticed that some of the posts have veered off beyond GTA to talk about American politics, there is nothing with that as long as it's in the frame of R*, their games and the industry. Also let's keep it civil people.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
No. Its a different time we live in. It's a hideous dark sjw world we live in.

Z7HeRxU.png

I would really hope so, but I wouldn't be willing to bet on it. I hope there will come a time when we mock this shit.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Yeah, GTA games are larger than life. And by the time GTA VI is released (say in 2022 at the earliest) people will be truly fed up of the SJWs. It is showing right now. If they satire the left, I will buy the game on PC when its available by 2024.

Last edited:

lem0n

I think of Rockstar like the studio behind South Park. They're such leviathans in their medium that any amount of bullshit cancel culture thrown their way will only fuel their fire. I'm not sure Dan Houser was the only one at Rockstar with a set of balls. At least, I like to hope so. I honestly think they'll take their digs at modern culture as they always do.

octiny

Banned
They aren't scared of shit. Not after what GTA V continues to do.

If something were to affect the GTA franchise, it would've already happened by now.

The only thing I'm worried about is when the next installment is going to get release 🤭

Trogdor1123

They aren't scared of shit. Not after what GTA V continues to do.

If something were to affect the GTA franchise, it would've already happened by now.

The only thing I'm worried about is when the next installment is going to get release 🤭
I bet this makes them less likely to take chances. The shareholders won't like lower sales or anything that takes away from their money.

I'm hope I'm wrong though and they keep taking shots at EVERYONE! We could all use a bit of humbling.

GTA is far too big to be cancelled, and a woke panic in the media would probably just amount to free publicity.

The important thing to note about woke deference in the corporate context is that it's not being driven by fear of pissing off their audience or customers, which by and large don't give a shit. It's driven by the fact that companies have been hiring liberal arts grad millennial idiots because you can pay them nothing, and those idiots bring their liberal arts grad sensibilities with them.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
No chance. Too much money to be made and "woke" cunts buy video games too.

I'll bet you ResetERA buys that Harry Potter game at crazy levels. They'll find a way to rationalize their purchase. They won't openly talk about their purchase. But they'll all buy the game.

Virtue signaling and actual virtue seem to be mutually exclusive. The woke aren't actually virtuous.

BigBooper

Didn't the writer brother leave? I feel like R* is pretty untouchable as far as canceling goes, but would the staff quit in protest if they go after a sacred cow? Don't know enough about the studio to say.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Hard to say what Rockstar games look like after Dan Houser left. What would Kojima Productions make without Kojima? Or what would Konami make if Kojima left? Oh wait, we already know the answer to that one; fucking trash. I don't think it'll be as bad at Rockstar because at least Sam Houser is still there.

Bottom line: Rockstar may be a different company now, we'll have to wait and see how all the chips fall. At least Sam Houser is still there, but it was Dan who did most of the writing and creative leadership.

NahaNago

They wouldn't at least not for both sides anyways. Times have changed a lot since gta5 originally released. Most likely I could see them satirizing mainly the right which is pretty safe to do.

MrS

Banned
I'll bet you ResetERA buys that Harry Potter game at crazy levels. They'll find a way to rationalize their purchase. They won't openly talk about their purchase. But they'll all buy the game.

Virtue signaling and actual virtue seem to be mutually exclusive. The woke aren't actually virtuous.
I agree with you 100%. CyberPunk situation all over again for those clowns.

Shmunter

Good thread. Any decent person true to themselves can see the cliffs edge with the woke cult being more infectious to weak minds than covid.

If GTA doesn’t lampoon such a critical issue, we know all hope is lost.

And if they embrace wokeness - game over.

Last edited:
Yes I can't wait for this game that comes out in a few years to make fun of a president from years and years before. Careful you don't cut yourself on that edge with your 2017 jokes in 2023.

Last edited:

Hugare

R* can satirize Jesus Christ and still get away with it

Did you pay attention to dialogue in GTA V? The story in that game sucks, and dialogue is a mess.

People who play GTA, especialy those who bring the money by playing GTA Online to this day, doesnt give a rat's ass about story or dialogue.

They can do whatever they want.

EDMIX

GTA has always fancied itself as a franchise that likes to comment on America's most current events especially in the political realm. It's been over seven years since their last release and a lot has changed in the western world. So the question is, with GTAVI being R*'s next release, do you think R* will stay true to their identity and comment on cancel culture or do you think Take Two will be scared of being cancelled? Or seeing how a big portion of the gaming industry is left leaning perhaps their own staff will take offense to their own game.

Oh they will and many will just get triggered over it anyway so....

be like "leAvE dA poLitIcS oUt oF Da gaMez"

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This is what they had to say:

Rockstar co-founder Dan Houser is glad the studio's next game is Red Dead Redemption 2, because he wouldn't want to release GTA 6 in the era of Donald Trump. In an interview with GQ, Houser said the current political environment in the US has made it "really unclear what we would even do with it, let alone how upset people would get with whatever we did."

"Both intense liberal progression and intense conservatism are both very militant, and very angry. It is scary but it’s also strange, and yet both of them seem occasionally to veer towards the absurd," Houser said. "It’s hard to satirize for those reasons. Some of the stuff you see is straightforwardly beyond satire. It would be out of date within two minutes, everything is changing so fast."

You basically cant. Both sides have lost their minds and have turned into butthurt snowflakes.

The sad thing is that there is so much to make fun of. Trump becoming president is something you wont even see in a bad hollywood comedy. People committing treason for him is absolutely fucking hilarious. The left has gone absolutely mental with cancel culture and the whole trans stuff forcing women to compete with ex-men. Some of this shit is satire itself and we need someone to make fun of it all.

I was watching Bill Maher last week and he pointed out how 80% of americans dont care for the politically correct culture. I think it's just a bunch of sad miserable losers on the internet who get outraged at everything while the rest of us are just too scared to get cancelled and lose our jobs for speaking up. No one is gonna cancel the next GTA, it will sell a 100 million units regardless. so go crazy.

Top Bottom