• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA Online monetization model leaked. Buy money. [Found on Rockstar Servers]

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Of course I've played them before, which was my entire point on why people might not like the idea of people being able to buy insane shit within hours of the game mode opening up.

Skins/Clothes/Hair, etc I don't mind at all.

Agreed. It's why I don't mind the hats in TF2. The weapons are also moderate upgrades not substantial ones.

There are games out there however where not paying *really* sets you back.

Hopefully Rockstar does more or the former and less of the latter, but I somehow doubt it.

If GTA Online ends up as micro-transaction focused, I will play it for fun for a few weeks or less and then bail. But will keep my eye on it - love me some GTA, but do not love me the F2P business model.

Heimbeck

Banned
Check the XML file, man. It specifically cites GTA Online for this pay for money system.

<Product id="cash_pack_A" platformProductId="0x231e0000" consumableId="0x1" releaseTime="">
<Name>Red Shark Cash Card - $100,000</Name>
<ShortDesc>Red Shark Cash Card - $100,000</ShortDesc>
<LongDesc>
Cash is king in this town. Solve your money problems and help get what you want across Los Santos and Blaine County with the purchase of cash packs for Grand Theft Auto Online. All purchased cash is automatically deposited into your character’s bank account. Spend wisely, cash therapy is fleeting.
</LongDesc>

I'll believe it when I see it.

not in code I mean :)

BigDug13

Does anyone else now feel like they didn't delay this portion for the reasons they say?

I mean how much more work could that extra 2 weeks have bought them? I now believe they wanted to tease Online while selling as many copies as possible and reaping outstanding reviews in the process.

But honestly as disappointing as this news is, I feel like they still gave me my $60 worth of game without the online. So as much as this brings Rockstar down a few notches in my mind, ultimately they've still delivered arguably one of the greatest $60 game purchases ever.

All I can hope now is that it's not as bad as my fears are leading me.

Hip Hop

I'm going to care when someone kills me with a rocket launcher on day 1 because they can immediately afford it.

In a game where skill or the right tools is required, this would be a problem.

I really don't see GTA as a competitive game, so this is really a non issue. Its a free roam open online game.

Someone else having a rocket launcher is not really a problem, plus you can easily escape.

Salex_

Uhh, dude don't you realize paying all those salaries is factored in to production costs of movies and games?

And that's 1 billion in a WEEK. The game is still going to sell incredibly well above that.

I completely forgot about that but yeah, if there are people who would spend money to get things faster why not give them the option? We need the details before jumping to conclusions.

Damaniel

Banned
I really hope this isn't for online. Brings Rockstar down a notch in my eyes. It's bad enough they have auto aim as a default, yeesh.

At least you can turn auto aim off if you don't like it. Crappy monetization schemes are (usually) forever.

Eusis

wow at some of the responses

how the hell does this affect you ? there will be 700 missions in gta online where youll be able to get money plus deathmatch modes and heists. who cares if someone takes a shortcut ?
This makes sense when you're in a vacuum (purely SP for example) and thus what you do affects no one else, or if the stuff you buy is just rebalancing or cosmetic. I still don't think it's quite right though given how this stuff can influence a game's balance because they WANT you to pay for that shortcut, not just put it there in the off chance someone bites, though some games admittedly are balanced more like that (Tales games have these kinds of transactions yet no one whose a serious RPG player has any issues far as I can tell.)

When it's stuff that gives you a distinct edge in a multiplayer game you'd be a fucking idiot to act as if it doesn't affect you.

900bv

Banned
Rockstar are not only stupid, they are hypocrites.

They actively mocked moronic practices like this in the game, and now they want to actually include them? This is nothing but hypocrisy, and I don't care if GTA Online is meant to be a seperate game, GTA V will be marked down for this crap.

This of course all dependant on whether this is ture.

BigDug13

I completely forgot about that but yeah, if there are people who would spend money to get things faster why not give them the option? We need the details before jumping to conclusions.

Because this online game is competitive. Should people be able to buy tanks and better guns and armor and cars with cash to use against other players who are grinding.

At least you can take people's money in the Online. So any fool dumb or lazy enough to spend real money on fake money will have a sedan bumper with their name on it.

edit: Oh this is about the SP? Yeah that makes sense too. It's pretty tough to earn the amount of money it takes to buy everything.
You can't take all people's money online only what they have in their possession at the time.

Each player has a bank account like those found online once you earn money by say performing a heist you take and deposit that in your bank, this can also be done from an app but it's unclear if that's just management or actual depositing and withdrawals.

Because this online game is competitive. Should people be able to buy tanks and better guns and armor and cars with cash to use against other players who are grinding.

The real competitive elements are strutted events players are spawned into a death match or race without possessions. The only pay to win elements will be in the free roam and mission modes which are largely co-op

UrbanRats

Does anyone else now feel like they didn't delay this portion for the reasons they say?

I mean how much more work could that extra 2 weeks have bought them? I now believe they wanted to tease Online while selling as many copies as possible and reaping outstanding reviews in the process.

But honestly as disappointing as this news is, I feel like they still gave me my $60 worth of game without the online. So as much as this brings Rockstar down a few notches in my mind, ultimately they've still delivered arguably one of the greatest $60 game purchases ever.

All I can hope now is that it's not as bad as my fears are leading me.
Could be.
But again, depends how dependant from thi system the economy is.
Sleeping Dogs had Cash packs DLC, nobody gave a shit (rightfully so) because you could easily ignore them.

However, pay to win is always a bad idea.

Eusis

Rockstar are not only stupid, they are hypocrites.

They actively mocked moronic practices like this in the game, and now they want to actually include them? This is nothing but hypocrisy, and I don't care if GTA Online is meant to be a seperate game, GTA V will be marked down for this crap.

This of course all dependant on whether this is ture.
On the other hand it can double as a meta joke, especially depending on how this is actually implemented. As noted there does seem to be the potential of robbing people of their money, money that they quite plausibly paid for, so in theory it's possible for someone to spend a lot of real money on in-game money to get ahead, only for a skilled/lucky player to take all or most of it and get the huge leap ahead themselves.

If it's optional, I don't mind.
If its the reason why money is so hard to come by in the game itself than this option has already had an adverse affect on the game design.

And that's why I hate these kinds of grind-bypassing microtransactions. They require a grind to be put in place to begin with, and enough of a grind to make the idea of paying your way through promising to some.

SmokyDave

Huh. I hope this isn't connected to the low payouts in the single player. That'd be pretty messed up. That said, I'm only missing two properties, I'll be fine walking away without them. I've certainly had great value for money from the game so far.

BigDug13

If its the reason why money is so hard to come by in the game itself than this option has already had an adverse affect on the game design.

And that's why I hate these kinds of grind-bypassing microtransactions. They require a grind to be put in place to begin with, and enough of a grind to make the idea of paying your way through promising to some.

Yep, it's like the online grind has infected the single player game as well when there's properties you couldn't afford without grinding for ages and ages.

Joeki11a

Banned
Get ready for the patch to remove the big money glitch, IGN did a video recently do that for weeks and you will have billions

Coiote

If the money goes towards vanity stuff, I won't have a problem, specially if you can get it for free if you are willing to put the gime.

If the money affects the balance the game(better weapons, vehicles and stats), then it will be really shitty and the community will suffer for it.

lol you have a bank account to save money too nice.
Hope mission rewards go directly to bank account and you only have to take out money when you want to buy guns and stuff.

Maybe make it you loose 10% when getting robbed after a mission i can already see friends troll me or i will troll them :p

Trigger

I'm not sure it will really bother me in the long run. These kind of things never give enough of a significant edge it feels like. I'm sure the GAF crew will dominate.

BigDug13

It's not so much that we think GTA Online will suck because of this, people. It's just disappointing that yet another company has fallen into the "f2p mechanics in a p2p game" that is becoming too popular.

And it could potentially taint the brand to the point where the next game doesn't sell into the profit of billions if it's truly p2w.

Does the game even have cash cheat codes like San Andreas? It's sad that what companies use as DLC and microtransactions now used to be unlockables and cheat codes of the past.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
If you can earn this sort of money in game then I have no problem with it.

It just seems like it would be a good way for people who perhaps can't or don't play much to catch up and get cool shit

Did you watch the GTA online trailer? It is worth a watch and you'll see clearly that it's not just death match.

I did, but I still had doubts, despite how amazing it looks.

The fact that they are moving to monetise it erases a few of those. Honestly, it depends on the implementation though. Could be good, could be bad.

The existence of it doesn't give me enough to start getting worried or start assuming the worst tbh.

PureGone

Banned
If you can earn this sort of money in game then I have no problem with it.

It just seems like it would be a good way for people who perhaps can't or don't play much to catch up and get cool shit

In the OP is says that Money has been limited in this game, with few stock market missions and all of them happening in the beginning.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
So they didn't have to spend over 200 million to make the game? What about paying people for working on the game for 5 years?

So? They've already made their budget back and then plenty. And that was within 3 days of release. The GTA name is golden. They are set. They don't need to monetize everything just because they can.

I was under the impression that I had those games for free and didn't spend $60 for the access to get to the microtransaction store.

I was also under the impression that those games don't have massive single player campaigns that are more than worth the $60 price tag alone.

Top Bottom