• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V modding thread

Vuze

Fixed my ReShade & ENB issue btw. Tried v0.16.0 of ReShade+SweetFX and it works like a charm! Finally lol

[PROXY]
EnableProxyLibrary=true
InitProxyFunctions=false
ProxyLibrary=ReShade64.dll

In other news Boris seems to have stopped working on ENB for GTAV (for now) due to some drama with haters etc

Afro

How do you get rid of it? Mod or just an .ini file?

https://www.gta5-mods.com/misc/chromatic-aberration-noise-desactivate

Another shot.

271590_2015-06-28_000hnp37.jpg

That sounds nice, but the mod comes with no installation instructions, and I don't know how to install this, and if this will get me banned if I take the game online...

All mods will get you banned if taken online.

To install, use OpenIV to find the path: x64\audio\sfx

In Resident.rpf, replace the necessary file with the modded one. Then do the same with Weapons_Player.rpf.

Patrick S.

Banned
All mods will get you banned if taken online.

To install, use OpenIV to find the path: x64\audio\sfx

In Resident.rpf, replace the necessary file with the modded one. Then do the same with Weapons_Player.rpf.

Cool, thanks! So, basically, if I just back up the original file and remember to revert to that before I go online, I'm safe, right?

Cool, thanks! So, basically, if I just back up the original file and remember to revert to that before I go online, I'm safe, right?

If you use OpenIV, use the .asi file that comes with it.

Instead of editing the original resident.rpf file, make a copy, and make the relevant folders so that you end up with GTAVPath\mods\x64\audio\sfx\resident.rpf and edit that instead. This means that the game will read from this modded duplicate while the .asi file is present, which means that you won't need to revert any files for playing online, you just move the .asi to another folder and the game will ignore the mods folder like normal.

Patrick S.

Banned
If you use OpenIV, use the .asi file that comes with it.

Instead of editing the original resident.rpf file, make a copy, and make the relevant folders so that you end up with GTAVPath\mods\x64\audio\sfx\resident.rpf and edit that instead. This means that the game will read from this modded duplicate while the .asi file is present, which means that you won't need to revert any files for playing online, you just move the .asi to another folder and the game will ignore the mods folder like normal.

Cool, thanks a lot for this info :) Appreciate it!

Cool, thanks a lot for this info :) Appreciate it!

No problem. If you ever want to make a copy of a file from the game for the mods folder, just add the mods directory to it's original path, for example:

Common.rpf is in GTA's root folder, so you'd make a copy of:

Grand Theft Auto V\common.rpf

And copy it to:

Grand Theft Auto V\mods\common.rpf

Likewise if you want to mod any of the files named x64a.rpf through x64w.rpf.

If you wanted to modify DLC files, for example the "Patchday1ng" files, you'd find the original file:

Grand Theft Auto V\update\x64\dlcpacks\patchday1ng\dlc.rpf

And the modded one would be:

Grand Theft Auto V\mods\update\x64\dlcpacks\patchday1ng\dlc.rpf

Hopefully that makes enough sense for everyone to be able to apply the same logic to whichever file they want to edit. It's much easier just removing the .asi file instead of having to make backups and keep switching between them when you want to play online.

Thanks to the help above, I just tried out this weapon sound mod. The sounds are awesome!

From the video the sounds are great, but do the sounds come out of both channels? There's a weird structure to the sounds and most mods miss it, so the original sound still comes out of the left channel.

EDIT: Just from the video it sounds like the combat pistol has that problem, most of the others sound fine.

Patrick S.

Banned
From the video the sounds are great, but do the sounds come out of both channels? There's a weird structure to the sounds and most mods miss it, so the original sound still comes out of the left channel.

EDIT: Just from the video it sounds like the combat pistol has that problem, most of the others sound fine.

I didn't notice anything unusual, but I didn't have the combat pistol on me. But all the pistols and guns I did have on me sounded fine. And the shotgun sound didn't come from only one speaker, either. The sound level of the shot itself was louder on the left channel, and all the mechanical noises from the gun's mechanisms were more dominant on the right channel. It sounded fine to me.

This mod is a really nice addition to the game's atmosphere.

I didn't notice anything unusual, but I didn't have the combat pistol on me. But all the pistols and guns I did have on me sounded fine. And the shotgun sound didn't come from only one speaker, either. The sound level of the shot itself was louder on the left channel, and all the mechanical noises from the gun's mechanisms were more dominant on the right channel. It sounded fine to me.

This mod is a really nice addition to the game's atmosphere.

I think I'll give it a go myself then.

Vuze

Some static model mods are popping up, I guess we'll see a tutorial soon:

Burger King: https://www.gta5-mods.com/misc/burger-king
Hollywood Sign: https://www.gta5-mods.com/maps/hollywood-sign

there is no specific tool, it is a complex method to do so. only say that the model has to convert to format gta:sa, then gta 4 format, then use FiveM ... but dont worry, MrVicho13 will make a tutorial soon.

Sounds inconvenient but better than nothing :) Looking forward to see some more models!

Rockstar being cunts about modding again. Likely reason why the latest patch has performance issues.

We had planned to release LSPDFR 0.2 tonight, although for a number of reasons outwith our control, this unfortunately won't be possible.

In the latest update for GTA V, Ill Gotten Gains Part 2, Rockstar Games strengthened their protections against modding introduced in the first update. These protections, deliberately targeted at modifications, are having an extremely severe effect on game performance.

As such, we're going to need some more time to figure out the best way to proceed. Hopefully you can understand that none of this was a problem before Wednesday's update, and performance issues aren't related only to LSPDFR, but also to every other GTA V script modification. The difference with LSPDFR, though, is that it includes very detailed artificial intelligence with other mods (trainers, etc.) do not. This means that the efforts by Rockstar to prevent modding disproportionately affect us.

Sounds like bullshit but I'm not an expert.

From their FB page, some extra detail.

Houston, we have a problem.

We had planned to release LSPDFR 0.2 tonight, although for a number of reasons outwith our control, this unfortunately won't be possible.

In the latest update for GTA V, Ill Gotten Gains Part 2, Rockstar Games strengthened their protections against modding introduced in the first update. Included in this was a whopping 3 MB of junk code designed to confuse modders. Instead of the native functions of the game being accessible directly - we now have to jump through 4 or 5 hoops each time, as the game also implements live decryption and obfuscation methods. This severely impacts performance, resulting in gameplay at 3 frames per second - even on some of the strongest PC systems available today.

As such, we're going to need some more time to figure out the best way to proceed. Hopefully you can understand that none of this was a problem before Wednesday's update, and performance issues aren't related only to LSPDFR, but also to every other GTA V script modification. The difference with LSPDFR, though, is that it includes very detailed artificial intelligence that other mods (trainers, etc.) do not. This means that the efforts by Rockstar to prevent modding disproportionately affect us.

In other news, our website is also experiencing unrelated technical problems, which we at least hope can be fixed soon.

We hope you can understand the situation we're in.
- Sam

OraleeWey

I don't know much about mods. The only game I have which I have mods installed is on New Vegas with Fallout Mod Manager.

My question is, what do I use that's like FMM and where do I get mods for GTA V?

Jelle

So, since the latest patch performance seems to be back to normal and I want to jump back in this.

I did some mods using a tool replacing files in an .rpf file if I recall correctly. Do I need to re-do this after getting the patch, or do mods survive updates granted they are compatible with the game version?

Vuze

So, since the latest patch performance seems to be back to normal and I want to jump back in this.

I did some mods using a tool replacing files in an .rpf file if I recall correctly. Do I need to re-do this after getting the patch, or do mods survive updates granted they are compatible with the game version?
update.rpf will be completly redownloaded whenever there's an update changing it, so you'll unfortunately have to reapply your rpf mods. It's always wise to keep a backup of the both exe files and update.rpf in case a shit update like IGG pt2 happens again, so you can easily revert to a functional version. asi scripts will remain untouched.

E: Oh, you might not be talking about update.rpf modding. I think every other .rpf will remain untouched from updates, so you should be fine as long as you have a working version of Script Hook and the OpenIV loader installed.

Vuze

Would you be able to play with vehicle controller online?
Yes, you could - but you will be banned :p
As a rule of thumb, only play online with a 100% vanilla game. No matter what miniscule thing the mod you use does, it will eventually get you banned.

OraleeWey

Yes, you could - but you will be banned :p
As a rule of thumb, only play online with a 100% vanilla game. No matter what miniscule thing the mod you use does, it will eventually get you banned.

Damnit. That sucks. Would have loved to let me brethren know I'm about to make a left.

Mods seem to cause more stuttering with this new patch. Vanilla game runs ok with some stuttering during combat/police chases, but it gets even worse if I use any mods.

Vuze

Mods seem to cause more stuttering with this new patch. Vanilla game runs ok with some stuttering during combat/police chases, but it gets even worse if I use any mods.
Hm, guess I'll take a look later today. I wish there was some commandline tool to batch inject files into rpf-archives... I'm sick and tired of re-installing my mods by hand every two weeks ;_;

E: Wait a second. I bet I could just create a matching folder structure with all modded files n stuff and then drag it into the root of update.rpf in OpenIV. I need to try that.

They added junk code in the last two patch's

http://gtaforums.com/topic/807748-r...mbat-modding-while-ruining-performance/page-1

I can't play online missions anymore with this hitching, before I had no issues.

Rockstar sure hates modding, so much so that they used iCEnhancer for their shitty in-game movie. Seriously, it's utterly fucking shortsighted to piss off the modding community when they can significantly enhance the game's long-term replayability, which would positively affect performance of future Rockstar games on the platform.

Hm, guess I'll take a look later today. I wish there was some commandline tool to batch inject files into rpf-archives... I'm sick and tired of re-installing my mods by hand every two weeks ;_;

E: Wait a second. I bet I could just create a matching folder structure with all modded files n stuff and then drag it into the root of update.rpf in OpenIV. I need to try that.

You can do that, but some files don't play well. For example, one mod I use replaces Trevor's firefighter outfit with Franklin's combat jacket. You need to replace files in x64v.rpf to use it, but trying to replicate that folder structure in update.rpf causes my game to crash during loading. Works very well with other mods though. A blood mod I use has instructions to install to x64a.rpf. But I just replicate the folder structure in update.rpf, and it works.

Vuze

That sucks... Stupid pricks. Hope he'll be able to work it out.
Rockstar sure hates modding, so much so that they used iCEnhancer for their shitty in-game movie. Seriously, it's utterly fucking shortsighted to piss off the modding community when they can significantly enhance the game's long-term replayability, which would positively affect performance of future Rockstar games on the platform.

You can do that, but some files don't play well. For example, one mod I use replaces Trevor's firefighter outfit with Franklin's combat jacket. You need to replace files in x64v.rpf to use it, but trying to replicate that folder structure in update.rpf causes my game to crash during loading. Works very well with other mods though. A blood mod I use has instructions to install to x64a.rpf. But I just replicate the folder structure in update.rpf, and it works.
Did you add all of the modded files you put in update.rpf to content.xml as 'legitimate' patches? I also use a variety of clothing mods (with streamedpeds_players.rpf in the update file) but it works just fine, so I see no reason why your Trevor outfit should be different. I'll add instructions once I'm back on my PC if you want to try the content.xml patching.

E: Just mimic the folder structure etc as you've already done before but put it in the patch subfolder, then put the modified rpf where it belongs. The rpf should only contain the files you modded. Then edit content.xml (root of update.rpf) and add this under "dataFile"s (example for stremeaedpeds_players):
<Item>
<filename>update:/%PLATFORM%/patch/models/cdimages/streamedpeds_players.rpf</filename>
<fileType>RPF_FILE</fileType>
<locked value="true"/>
<disabled value="true"/>
<persistent value="true"/>
<overlay value="true"/>
</Item>

Finally add this to "contentChangeSets > CCS_TITLE_UPDATE_STREAMING > filesToEnable" and then replace the content.xml with your update one:
<Item>update:/%PLATFORM%/patch/models/cdimages/streamedpeds_players.rpf</Item>

(Credits to SonofUgly for this approach)

That sucks... Stupid pricks. Hope he'll be able to work it out.

Did you add all of the modded files you put in update.rpf to content.xml as 'legitimate' patches? I also use a variety of clothing mods (with streamedpeds_players.rpf in the update file) but it works just fine, so I see no reason why your Trevor outfit should be different. I'll add instructions once I'm back on my PC if you want to try the content.xml patching.

E: Just mimic the folder structure etc as you've already done before but put it in the patch subfolder, then put the modified rpf where it belongs. The rpf should only contain the files you modded. Then edit content.xml (root of update.rpf) and add this under "dataFile"s (example for stremeaedpeds_players):

Finally add this to "contentChangeSets > CCS_TITLE_UPDATE_STREAMING > filesToEnable" and then replace the content.xml with your update one:

(Credits to SonofUgly for this approach)

That worked, thanks. Is there a particular reason why this has to be done for certain files? Just a quirk of the engine?

Vuze

That worked, thanks. Is there a particular reason why this has to be done for certain files? Just a quirk of the engine?
Not sure, all I know is that I've never had any problems with this approach no matter what I modified. I think it's the best way to install mods since all you have to do is keep a backup of update.rpf to return your game to vanilla (or restore if you should somehow mess up).

Not sure, all I know is that I've never had any problems with this approach no matter what I modified. I think it's the best way to install mods since all you have to do is keep a backup of update.rpf to return your game to vanilla (or restore if you should somehow mess up).

Yeah. Only downside is that each update changes the update.rpf file, so you have to keep re-installing stuff. The one upside to modding the x64 rpf files is that they never seem to change with each patch, so you can keep mods installed through those files.

Top Bottom