• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V PC Performance Thread

KePoW

Banned
i cant for the life of me get a stable 1080p 60fps without dropping settings to normal and x2 aliasing.

the game doesn't feel optimised at all. even tried capping it at 30fps but it still dips to 15-20fps. updating to the catalyst beta drivers helped but still not great. i've been playing about with settings for the last 8 hours or so. need to take a break. will go back to it tomorrow.

specs are i5-4590/8GB/290. seriously considering getting a refund (if i can). so disappointed as i built my pc for this game.

If this truly is a brand new computer, why did you go with a 290? Should have gotten one of the new architecture Nvidia cards

Smokey

Are you using MFAA? You could increase image quality or drop MSAA samples accordingly with it on (save more performance)

Can't use MFAA with SLI at the moment.

That amount of AA is un necessary at 4k...but even with it on and a nice OC I can avg 60fps.

Is the benchmark test broken? I tried running it and it loaded the opening of the game, then cut to a few scenes for the benchmark, then cut to a jet that I was controlling and game me a mission failed screen...?

edit: should have read above, never mind

Need to complete the Prologue first.

Jebral

DirectX 11
Fullscreen
2560x1440 (DSR downsampled to 1080p)
60Hz

FXAA off
MSAA x4
NVIDIA TXAA on
Vsync on
Pause Game On Focus Loss On

Population Density max
Population Variety max
Distance Scaling max

Texture Quality very high
Shader Quality very high
Shadow Quality high
Reflection Quality very high
Reflection MSAA x4
Water Quality very high
Particles Quality very high
Grass Quality Ultra
Soft Shadows Nvidia PCSS

Post FX Ultra
Motion Blur Strength 2 notches
In-Game Depth of Field Effects on
Anisotropic Filtering x16
Ambient Occlusion high
Tesselation very high

Long shadows off
High Resolution Shadows off
High Detail Streaming While Flying on
Extended Distance Scaling 3 notches
Extended Shadows Distance (disabled)

Played the prologue yesterday. In the beginning scene was getting 55-60fps. Lowest I remember seeing throughout the play through was about 42fps.

i5 4690k @4.5Ghz
GTX 970

This game sure loves it's Vram was hitting 3.5+ at times. Going to optimize to try get solid 60fps.

I have an i5 4670k at 4.2 and an EVGA 970 FTW. I have just a couple of differences:

1080p
FXAA is my only AA
No reflection MSAA
Very High grass
High Detail Streaming While Flying off < may play with this one some more, during my initial benchmarks someting was halfing my fps when it showed a lot of landscapes.

It practically never moves from 59 fps (due to weird 59hz refresh rate, but whatever). I did DSR down from 1440 for a while, but I went for the frames rather than the image quality.

I'm glad I managed to pretty much lock in 60fps (well, 59 haha) :)

LCGeek

formerly sane
With these settings last night on stock clocks on my Titan X's, I got the following:

xXkhImz.png

Played for about a hour today. Completed Father/Son mission which involves a fair amount of driving around, and I got these numbers today with an overclock:

oJevawC.png

Right at 60fps. 11 fps gain from my OC. Again this is with 4x MSAA, TXAA, 4k and max everything else. Pretty amazing and it looks incredible.

God damn this is nice information. Nice to know even with your hardware getting an average or minimum high of 100+ isn't happening anytime soon. To really push all that and still nail above 60fps when most in here can't do it on lesser setting damn fucking beast mode right there.

Anyone else getting annoying stutter using a GTX970? MY PC is as follows:

GTX970
i5 2500k @ 4.4
8GB of RAM
Playing @ 1080p

My game hitches/stutters quite a bit, no matter the settings. With most stuff turned up, I have no issue getting 60+ FPS, but I'll get stuttering and sometimes my FPS will be like 60, 60, 45, 60, 60. Not sure what that's about, but it's super annoying while playing.

I've also tried turning literally everything off/as low as it will go. Uses roughly 1GB of VRAM. I'll get 100+ FPS yet still stutter.

Another thing that I've noticed is using the custom radio station will cause me to stutter even worse. As soon as I select it, my game gets really bad. Switching back to a regular station and it just goes back to occasionally stuttering.

Not sure if it makes any difference, but the game is installed onto my secondary SSD that I just use for games.

Smokey

God damn this is nice information. Nice to know even with your hardware getting an average or minimum high of 100+ isn't happening anytime soon. To really push all that and still nail above 60fps when most in here can't do it on lesser setting damn fucking beast mode right there.

It's obviously not a cheap setup, but this is the first time I've felt content with a pair of cards and there is finally a solution for those who want 4k @ 60fps. Just have to pay a little bit :p

LCGeek

formerly sane

GTX970
i5 2500k @ 4.4
8GB of RAM
Playing @ 1080p

My game hitches/stutters quite a bit, no matter the settings. With most stuff turned up, I have no issue getting 60+ FPS, but I'll get stuttering and sometimes my FPS will be like 60, 60, 45, 60, 60. Not sure what that's about, but it's super annoying while playing.

I've also tried turning literally everything off/as low as it will go. Uses roughly 1GB of VRAM. I'll get 100+ FPS yet still stutter.

Another thing that I've noticed is using the custom radio station will cause me to stutter even worse. As soon as I select it, my game gets really bad. Switching back to a regular station and it just goes back to occasionally stuttering.

Not sure if it makes any difference, but the game is installed onto my secondary SSD that I just use for games.

Track the stutter using latencymon or dpc latency checker. If you're system is spiking something is causing it. Could be anti virus. Could be running too many browser windows. Could be a crappy onboard sound or nic in which bad drivers or features enabled cause problems. Cannot state this enough for a certain crowd in here get the software I mentioned run the game windowed and see where it's spiking and what is causing it. If you haven't turned off certain energy features that can cause stuttering. Also depending on your system not having HPET timer enabled right like on mine will cause a decent bit of stuttering.

I have no SSD, just two internals and two externals am doing fine. Your spec is a good factor or two above mine with that gpu you should be doing better than mine.

Considering how much I shat on this game before launch and have had half a day with great performance 30fps or 60fps I know it's not the game or hardware at fault.

So what kind of settings will I have to go with for 1080p60fps?

Intel i5-4670k 4,1ghz OC
8gb ram
Geforce 660ti overclocked.

Try MSAA off, texture on normal, everything else at high, all advanced options off. Basically you can get 1080p60fps at a setting slightly higher than PS4.

So what kind of settings will I have to go with for 1080p60fps?

Intel i5-4670k 4,1ghz OC
8gb ram
Geforce 660ti overclocked.

Probably mostly medium-high with FXAA and no MSAA. Might have to tweak on the shadows, Post FX, Distance scaling and Population density to stabilize the framerate. Basically your game is going to look close to what's on the PS4, probably just a little cleaner with a better framerate.

Wounded

When you say can't max you mean the game becomes unplayable and fps tanks ?

Sorry to not reply quicker.

I most settings on max I get a pretty good 60fps. Couldn't put MSAA or TXAA or Nvidia Shadows etc on, that'd drop my FPS dramatically.

Thing is GPU usage isn't even that high. 70ish on both cards.

LCGeek

formerly sane
It's obviously not a cheap setup, but this is the first time I've felt content with a pair of cards and there is finally a solution for those who want 4k @ 60fps. Just have to pay a little bit :p

I'm smiling soley because of that reason. When I upgrade in a year or two with newer cards going sli 1080p or 1440p ULMB or lightboost in general this game running well is a practical reality for me.

So honestly guys, is it really worth using MSAA if running 1440p (downscaled to 1080p) on a 23" monitor. I'm running a GTX 970 and it runs great on 1080p, but I'm wondering what 'seemingly' useless effects can be turned off and which settings can safely be disabled.

The nVidia AA and FXAA aren't exactly needed when running in that resolution, right?

Dave_6

GTX970
i5 2500k @ 4.4
8GB of RAM
Playing @ 1080p

Yep, 970 user here and I've posted a couple times in here about stuttering/hitching. I'm even using GeForce Experience optimized settings as well as turning things down and it won't go away. I'm also using a 144hz monitor which can be good for somewhat hiding wild framerate fluctuations and it still stutters badly. I thought maybe it being installed to my hard drive could be the issue but seeing that you have it installed on an SSD and still having issues is making me think it's something else.

Smokey

Sorry to not reply quicker.

I most settings on max I get a pretty good 60fps. Couldn't put MSAA or TXAA or Nvidia Shadows etc on, that'd drop my FPS dramatically.

Thing is GPU usage isn't even that high. 70ish on both cards.

Open up task manager and monitor your CPU usage while playing. See if it's close to 100%.

Also try a clean install using Display Driver Uninstaller with the 350.12 drivers.

Branson

Yeah she's running amazing now. I was using custom station. Could that affect anything?
Here's what I noticed about the custom station last night. I put maybe 100 songs in there with the mp3s in there and the game ran fine. I tried it with a shortcut to my music folder like what I did in gta4 and it didn't load past the initial loading screen. Something must be up with that feature.

So honestly guys, is it really worth using MSAA if running 1440p (downscaled to 1080p) on a 23" monitor. I'm running a GTX 970 and it runs great on 1080p, but I'm wondering what 'seemingly' useless effects can be turned off and which settings can safely be disabled.

The nVidia AA and FXAA aren't exactly needed when running in that resolution, right?

If you are downscaling and not very sensitive to jaggies then AA can be turned off. I would leave FXAA on tho.

Here's what I noticed about the custom station last night. I put maybe 100 songs in there with the mp3s in there and the game ran fine. I tried it with a shortcut to my music folder like what I did in gta4 and it didn't load past the initial loading screen. Something must be up with that feature.
Another question. Why is my first card running at 70% while my second is at 85%?

3D looks great, but I'm having issues with the menu. Text is only rendered for the right eye.

Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Other than that it seems fine.

HeliosT10

3D looks great, but I'm having issues with the menu. Text is only rendered for the right eye.

Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Other than that it seems fine.

I'm trying NVIDIA 3DTV but for some reason I'm only getting around 40fps at 720p/60hz with my GPU only being 30/40% utilised. Any ideas anyone?

dawid

Extended Distance Scaling really messes with my framerate. Had it at 80% and was getting as low as 40fps. At 50% the framerate is almost solid at 60fps.

Extended Distance Scaling really messes with my framerate. Had it at 80% and was getting as low as 40fps. At 50% the framerate is almost solid at 60fps.

I think someone was theorizing that it increases the area around the player where things spawn in, so it would be heavily CPU bound dealing with all that extra AI. Not sure if that's true, someone would have to test it.

Tensketch

I've noticed a few people mentioning the abysmal framerate chugging once Self Radio is on, has anyone got a workaround that isn't "don't use Self Radio"?

garath

Damn this game runs smooth but after few moments it either freezes and crashes or it displays that I am running out of memory

Just going to throw it out there since I had the same problem.. Do you have a pagefile enabled? I didn't and only have 8gigs of RAM and it was causing my system to run out of memory and crash out of the game. Re-enabled the pagefile and all is well.

Just going to throw it out there since I had the same problem.. Do you have a pagefile enabled? I didn't and only have 8gigs of RAM and it was causing my system to run out of memory and crash out of the game. Re-enabled the pagefile and all is well.

Nope I didn't do you have yours a certain amount or just auto? Should it matter which hard drive its set on?

If you are downscaling and not very sensitive to jaggies then AA can be turned off. I would leave FXAA on tho.

FXAA isn't very expensive either. I might do that if it's a viable option to downscale vs use MSAA. Any other settings you recommend disabling that show no noticeable change in image quality?

Probably mostly medium-high with FXAA and no MSAA. Might have to tweak on the shadows, Post FX, Distance scaling and Population density to stabilize the framerate. Basically your game is going to look close to what's on the PS4, probably just a little cleaner with a better framerate.

Is there a reliable auto-optimization in the game I could use?

zXe

Is anyone playing this with an 360 PC controller? I want to bind the guide button (between back and start) for push to talk in the mumble chat program so I can talk to my friends. I managed to find a plugin to get the button to work for teamspeak. Trying to sort it out for mumble but it doesn't read in the program itself and I'm trying xpadder but no luck.

garath

Nope I didn't do you have yours a certain amount or just auto? Should it matter which hard drive its set on?

Put it on a non SSD drive if you have one. I let windows manage it. That's the best way.

I had been running for so long without a page file, I had forgotten I disabled it. Took me an hour to figure out the problem :/

On the bright side, it's really running well now.

Put it on a non SSD drive if you have one. I let windows manage it. That's the best way.

I had been running for so long without a page file, I had forgotten I disabled it. Took me an hour to figure out the problem :/

On the bright side, it's really running well now.

Thanks for the help man. Its actually done this for another game and made me think I needed more ram

garath

There's nothing in game that I've seen but if you have an nvidia card, the Geforce experience does a pretty good job of it. Adjust the slider and try it out in game. It's pretty handy. At the very least it'll give you a baseline to work with.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Could anyone kindly post the contents of the config file (should normally be under %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Rockstar Games\GTA V) if possible? The config file for GTA IV wasn't human-readable, hopefully it's different for GTA V.

MrGlugi

Neo Member
Hi!

My PC:
Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB
i7 4770k (stock)
16GB RAM 1600Mhz

I would love to experience GTA V @ 1080p & 60fps. Any advices how should I set in-game settings?

DarkKyo

In my settings I'm exceeding my bar for allotted memory by a decent amount and its still running pretty damn nice. Is there a reason for this?

You could try the GeForce Experience program, that will tweak the settings in-game supposedly best suited for your setup. Not sure how reliable that or the in-game recommended settings are.

Worst case is you set everything to Medium or High and see how you fair. Just make sure to keep MSAA off, as that will probably tank your framerate more than it's worth.

viveks86

I really want to see some comparisons for this. I can't tell a big difference.

It makes a difference only while you are in the mountains or flying. Makes no difference while driving/walking around

In my settings I'm exceeding my bar for allotted memory by a decent amount and its still running pretty damn nice. Is there a reason for this?

The allotted memory seems like a calibrated calculation and not the actual usage.

I haven't experienced this yet, but there could be a possible memory leak.

i believe your right. i started playing and it was at 120-140fps then it slowly lowered to about 70fps after about 30 mins of playing. restarted the game, and back to 130s.
Also have had 3 crashes mid mission. :(

Top Bottom