• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTAIV PS3 Bundle in Europe?

Ploid 3.0

BenjaminBirdie said:
I still think you're wrong. There's no precedent for this. Why would more maps sell a game?

No one knows how heavily the DLC will be marketed. No one knows how popular a character like Niko Bellic might become. If this DLC is narrative based and continues his story, it could very well generate more sales for the 360 version, long term.

The only thing even remotely close to this in precedent is Mass Effect's DLC, and I think we can all agree that it's a game without the same level of appeal as GTA.

GTA is, I'd say inarguably, the best selling narrative driven franchise in Video Gaming today. As much as people love to just dick around in the city, what really gets people excited and amped up are these flash trailers hinting at the crime saga.

If DLC adds another chapter to that saga, I think it will definitely be extremely popular. Again, there's no precedent for this. Half Life E1 and 2 were all released as stand alone games and, I'm sure, did very well.

Truly episodic content on this scale of popularity has not been attempted before. I think any claims as to its lack of appeal are wildly premature.

So you're saying people shouldn't cheat them self by not getting the version with DLC? Sorta like people that are interested in UTIII, wait on 360, and gladly accept it if it don't have the freedom to download any mod they want (not mods provided by epic or put up for a price. User created stuff). After all mods and such is a big part of UTIII.

In GTA4 it's supposed to at least be a complete game. DLC would probably be Liberty/Vice City Stories type of deal (it's the only thing we can think, they could be keeping quiet to raise hype). If people could enjoy UTIII without a open mod/tc community they should have no problem enjoying GTA4 without mystery DLC that you pay for, right?

I agree that they would enjoy whatever UTIII 360 do, and whatever GT4 naked is just fine. After all there is still a, you know, game in the main disks right?

Also I think HL2 was very popular. It had episodic content, and it was brought to console. We may very well get episode 3 some day. I doubt GTA DLC will be on the level of HL2's, new assets, better graphics, although there should be more gameplay mechanics.

cilonen

Hcoregamer00 said:
When did this 299 pound price point start?

The first time I saw it was in this thread.

Someone saw the price in swedish Kroner was the same for the GT5P bundle and thought that this would be the same across Europe. Later someone realised Webhallen had just upped the price of the GT5P bundle, so it's not a valid (if it ever was in the first place) comparison.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Hcoregamer00 said:
When did this 299 pound price point start?

The first time I saw it was in this thread.
that was my point

Ploid 3.0 said:
If people could enjoy UTIII without a open mod/tc community they should have no problem enjoying GTA4 without mystery DLC that you pay for, right?
stop making sense!

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
cilonen said:
Someone saw the price in swedish Kroner was the same for the GT5P bundle and thought that this would be the same across Europe. Later someone realised Webhallen had just upped the price of the GT5P bundle, so it's not a valid (if it ever was in the first place) comparison.

Oh my, so it was more false hopes and dreams than reality.

bishoptl said:
that was my point

Point taken

Ploid 3.0 said:
If people could enjoy UTIII without a open mod/tc community they should have no problem enjoying GTA4 without mystery DLC that you pay for, right?
:lol

I'm all for ignoring the retarded DLC discussion, but that's such a huge strawman I want to grab a torch and burn the rope.

Ploid 3.0 said:
So you're saying people shouldn't cheat them self by not getting the version with DLC? Sorta like people that are interested in UTIII, wait on 360, and gladly accept it if it don't have the freedom to download any mod they want (not mods provided by epic or put up for a price. User created stuff). After all mods and such is a big part of UTIII.

In GTA4 it's supposed to at least be a complete game. DLC would probably be Liberty/Vice City Stories type of deal (it's the only thing we can think, they could be keeping quiet to raise hype). If people could enjoy UTIII without a open mod/tc community they should have no problem enjoying GTA4 without mystery DLC that you pay for, right?

I agree that they would enjoy whatever UTIII 360 do, and whatever GT4 naked is just fine. After all there is still a, you know, game in the main disks right?

Also I think HL2 was very popular. It had episodic content, and it was brought to console. We may very well get episode 3 some day. I doubt GTA DLC will be on the level of HL2's, new assets, better graphics, although there should be more gameplay mechanics.

No. I'm saying the DLC has every potential to be popular and move 360 versions of the game in the long run. I'm not saying anyone should get one version or the other. I was responding to the idea that DLC has never sold a version of a game before. I posit that in this instance it could.

Ploid 3.0

"I'm all for ignoring the retarded DLC discussion, but that's such a huge strawman I want to grab a torch and burn the rope."

I only used UTIII because it's something he expressed his feelings on in the 360 UTIII thread. I thought it was a bit similar. Most feel the only reason to own UT games are for the mod community from what I saw (PC versions). Not sure if the UTIII on PS3 is acceptable or anything, and I wasn't suggesting he be interested in any other version but 360. Most people probably didn't even blink a eye at getting GTA3+ for PC even with all the extras, better controls, better graphics, user created stuff, online mp and so on. They just enjoyed what they wanted to.

That's what all of this is about, playing games. And this thread? A rumor that a PS3 bundle is possible.

No. I'm saying the DLC has every potential to be popular and move 360 versions of the game in the long run. I'm not saying anyone should get one version or the other. I was responding to the idea that DLC has never sold a version of a game before. I posit that in this instance it could.

Oh, I totally mistook your post. My bad.

newsguy

Oh hot damn. I can already see that this is cops and crooks and the "VIP" crook is the one jumping off the bridge.

1077_0011.jpg

cedric69

Hcoregamer00 said:
Of course, we knew that from the outset it was never Sony's intention to have the PS3 hit PS2 level sales. They wanted to have Blu-Ray as the standard format.
Yeah, sure... :lol

WTF are you on about? Sony entered this generation aiming to sell less than with PS3? Again, WTF?

They really, really had no idea about the Wii success, hence I'm pretty sure that before launch, say in 2005, they were quite confident about repeating PS2 success.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
davez82 said:
Seems like Sony just robbed MS of its 50 million dollar investment. Good tactic.

Yeah, you're right. The DLC will be a pink dress and the size of the city will actually shrink...

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
newsguy said:
Oh hot damn. I can already see that this is cops and crooks and the "VIP" crook is the one jumping off the bridge.

http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/8147/1077_0011.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I still haven't grown to like that filter yet. Thank god all the videos of the game have looked good.

newsguy

squatingyeti said:
I still haven't grown to like that filter yet. Thank god all the videos of the game have looked good.

Yeah, I don't like it in screens either, but my opinion is that it doesn't translate well to screens. All of the trailers look very crisp, and the journalists who have played it say you only see the blur effect in the distance. As long as the foreground is sharp I'm happy, and if the filter masks LOD stuff then I'm even happier.

Kingsgoon

Little did I know when I decided to make a post here about a ps3 gta bundle I found while browsing Webhallen.
That hours later the story would find it's way to Kotaku and Engadget and lot's of other places.
At least it made my day and hopefully Sony will confirm the bundle soon.

I guess one should never underestimate the power of neogaf. :D

squatingyeti said:
Yeah, you're right. The DLC will be a pink dress and the size of the city will actually shrink...
No the DLC will be a T-Shirt saying

"I bought the 360 Version of GTAIV for DLC but all I got was this lousy t-shirt"

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Mister Chef said:
Whoa! MAJOR blow to Microsoft's strategy in Europe.

Heads will roll for sure :lol

Who predicted this?

Hmm.... HMMM...

and yeah, MS is screwed everywhere but the US.

jmd494

Kagari said:
Who predicted this?

Hmm.... HMMM...

and yeah, MS is screwed everywhere but the US.
and if Pachter was correct, PS3 will outsell 360 in April by a ratio of 500k : 350k...so they might be screwed in the US too (figures came from the GTA Bonus Round)

exarkun

The bundle art looks like sex. But, why would Sony still not release an official statement affirming the bundle if there is such a huge leak by retailers? Something similar happened with the original price cuts didn't it (retailer busting their bubble)?

Any chance this might make its way to the US? Or is that where MS has the marketing all wrapped up?

Firewire

Banned
newsguy said:

1077_0011.jpg

Serious question, why does the water look like brown mud or something? Is this from an early build or something? Everything else looks great!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
exarkun said:
The bundle art looks like sex. But, why would Sony still not release an official statement affirming the bundle if there is such a huge leak by retailers? Something similar happened with the original price cuts didn't it (retailer busting their bubble)?

Any chance this might make its way to the US? Or is that where MS has the marketing all wrapped up?

No, the game is being marketed on both systems here.

exarkun said:

Am I missing something? How is that bundle art anything more than the GTA boxart stretched out and placed next to a standard PS3 graphic?

zaidr

notjackbauer said:
Another one of those leaked screens that were taken down right away. Awesome!
ME0000947118_2.jpg

This looks badASS! You can really see the euphoria engine at work here too...I picture the guy landing on the van with some weight, his knees bending, his arms coming forward to steady himself, doing a roll and just before sliding off the roof - catching an edge and hanging on for dear life.

This game is (hopefully) going to blow me. away.

Doc Evils

exarkun said:

So MS has much as little time as possible to create their own one in time.

bait and switch.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Firewire said:
Serious question, why does the water look like brown mud or something? Is this from an early build or something? Everything else looks great!

do you live on earth? come outside often? water... it is not always ocean blue

Top Bottom