• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTAV PS4/Xbox One coming November 18th, PC coming January 27th

Rembrandt

Banned
I am not angry (small things like this can't make me angry :D), i am disappointed. Developers generally don't own gamers anything but little respect for your customers is not much to ask. In their press release they didn't even wrote standard PR BS about optimisation they just wrote new date, that btw is not in Trailer. For what? More money grab of course even though they earned shitload of money in PS3/X360 release. I also understand that all their decisions are smart from business stand but it hurts it really hurts when you are treated like this. For god sake Ubisoft is most vocal developer/publisher when piracy and PC platform is in question and even they are trying to release PC version simultaneously with console version or with small delay these days.

Which is understandable, but Rockstar is probably the biggest most secretive company in gaming. I wouldn't hold your breath for any new details on this game period for at least two weeks or so. Yeah, it's possible it could be for money or it could be more for optimization. This is a huge, really detailed game. If Rockstar wants to get back on track with PC, they might need the extra time. Even Max Payne 3 launched a little after the console versions and I heard that was a great port.

Should apply for disability benefits as you'll have crossed fingers for the rest of your life.

goddamn. lmao.

AmyS

I'll be double dipping with the PS4 version in November and the PC version, when I have a new PC probably in the spring.

I know it's been discussed many times already but people are still saying the early trailers from 2011, 2012 (and maybe upto E3 2013) was the work Rockstar had done on PC hardware upto that point, that would, eventually, become the remastered versions for PS4, Xbox One and PC, of which we are seeing footage captured from PS4 (E3 2014 and yesterday's trailer). --Rather than honestly being Xbox 360 / PS3 footage.

All 7 trailers upto August 2013: http://youtu.be/YsQMOwgBWiA

What are your thoughts on this today, GAF ?

Max Payne 3 was a fantastic port, which scaled and ran great, so it's definitely possible.

Then again, LA Noire's port was junk apparently, although I think it was partially crippled by engine constraints.

I've heard that LA Noire's port was okay besides the one fact that it was capped to 30fps. In this one case, that cap actually makes sense, because the tech they used for facial animation wouldn't look right above the speed it was recorded at.

I've heard that LA Noire's port was okay besides the one fact that it was capped to 30fps. In this one case, that cap actually makes sense, because the tech they used for facial animation wouldn't look right above the speed it was recorded at.

I heard that performance was iffy and the low and high settings made minimal difference in terms of framerate and visuals.

Denton

I heard that performance was iffy and the low and high settings made minimal difference in terms of framerate and visuals.

Never had a single drop below 30 in LA Noire. But that 30 pissed me the hell off anyway, I am used to 60.

In any case LA Noire has nothing to do with GTA. Completely different game on different engine by different studio.

Yasae

Banned
Honestly, I'd rather they delay it then have it turn out like the abortion that was the PC version of Watch Dogs which is a choppy mess the first few months.
There's still the possibility it'll be a mess the first few months. A delay doesn't really take away any of that.

As respectable as the Max Payne 3 port was, that's not a big open world game. The last big open world game Rockstar released on PC was.............. Grand Theft Auto IV. That's what we have to go by. And if half the people in this thread could've seen that port when it released, they wouldn't be saying a word to any PC gamers in this thread.

The delay isn't even reasonable, it's rather long, and it just doesn't inspire confidence. I'm not that miffed but there's been more backlash over the backlash coming from the PC delay. One of those is justified, the other not so much.

So the PC is confirmed to come with a cinematic producing tool for machinima movie makers. What are the chances we'll get similar tools with PS4 or Xbox One versions? We can use their respective video editing apps to cut scenes together but it would be great to have even greater camera options for gameplay to aid in video production.

fade_

There's still the possibility it'll be a mess the first few months. A delay doesn't really take away any of that.

As respectable as the Max Payne 3 port was, that's not a big open world game. The last big open world game Rockstar released on PC was.............. Grand Theft Auto IV. That's what we have to go by. And if half the people in this thread could've seen that port when it released, they wouldn't be saying a word to any PC gamers in this thread.

The delay isn't even reasonable, it's rather long, and it just doesn't inspire confidence. I'm not that miffed but there's been more backlash over the backlash coming from the PC delay. One of those is justified, the other not so much.

Very true, let's hope the delay helps it be better then GTAIV's launch. GFW being dead alone will help.

Nethaniah

So the PC is confirmed to come with a cinematic producing tool for machinima movie makers. What are the chances we'll get similar tools with PS4 or Xbox One versions? We can use their respective video editing apps to cut scenes together but it would be great to have even greater camera options for gameplay to aid in video production.

The video tool is exclusive to PC (as it was in IV), they would have definitely said something if it was coming to consoles (cause why not hype those versions even more.)

dreamfall

I really do wonder if they'll implement a viable Remote Play control scheme that works well- maybe remap the R2/L2 to the triggers on the Vita for Aim/shoot. And use the back panel quadrants to cycle through weapons? Maybe front touch corner to go into cover?

I feel like I'd really enjoy driving with the Vita shoulder buttons when playing on a second screen. This could be a lot of fun! Just hoping it's in there!

I'm looking forward to the new destruction model. I spend most of my time free roaming cop chases or gang fights, and while I like the gun play a lot (at least on free aim), sometimes the car damage from shootouts or low impact chases is underwhelming. The damage model is actually OK but it takes a highway trailer truck or train to cause most of it. I keep thinking of that police station shootout in Ubisoft's The Division, and hoping for better glass shattering and car panel piercing by bullets. The gun play and cover don't need much tweaking but with some better damage models, and maybe better sound (a la Payday 2), that'd be welcomed.

MaLDo

LA Noire can be played perfectly fine at 60 fps without glitches.

RedSwirl

If I were EA and Ubisoft, I'd already be preparing ads for the PC audience along the lines of:

"Can't wait till January to get to Los Santos? Try Kyrat. Or Paris. Or Thedas."

jmizzal

Ugh was hoping the PC version would come out in Nov so I can buy it cheaper during the Steam winter sale, now I gotta wait til the Steam spring sale

Almighty

Well I guess I was being to generous to Rockstar thinking the PC version would hit the same day the One and PS4 version do. I forget that when it comes to PC support they are about on the same level as Japanese developers/publishers. Oh well I wasn't planning on buying GTA5 PC anywhere close to day 1 so this doesn't really effect me.

We don't even need hypothetical role reversals. Console gamers lose their shit all the time at the slightest hint of disparity between console versions of the same games. Games, mind you, that are released at the same time across both platforms. Much bigger debates have been had on GAF over smaller platform disparities on consoles. Yet when it happens to the PC suddenly it's silly and overreacting. It's partly a lack of empathy and partly smug satisfaction seeing these reactions.

As a console gamer, I truly give no shits about gaming on PC. Every thread devolves into whining about 60 fps this, 1080p/4K that....

Really? Are games suddenly no good if they're on a console and run at a 'mere' 30 fps?
I see all the time many gaffers scoffing at PS4/XBone or WiiU because they're not 'high end PCs and everyone should play PC, why waste money!?!'

I'll tell you why: I want to be a lazy motherfucker, vegging after standing on my feet for hours a day, listening to clients bitch. I want my system to work and games to work, with the same ease 6 years from now, as they do today. I don't want to fiddle with graphics cards, specification and installing drivers and ram. Fuck that noise.

People who enjoy it, great! You chose to, but quit acting above the console crowd.

Console gaming is a choice, I'm aware of what PC can offer and I give no shits.

General vent over.

Now, hitting on your point: Does 2 months make any difference? JP gets MH4G this year, I'm waiting until next year because Capcom says the West needs to.

System spec disparity will be always a spec disparity. PS4 is more powerful than either WiiU and XBO; a higher end PC is more powerful than any of those systems. Does it truly matter?

Not really.

I don't enjoy my 3DS games or graphics Myles's, because I own a Vita.

Lulubop

As a console gamer, I truly give no shits about gaming on PC. Every thread devolves into whining about 60 fps this, 1080p/4K that....

Really? Are games suddenly no good if they're on a console and run at a 'mere' 30 fps?
I see all the time many gaffers scoffing at PS4/XBone or WiiU because they're not 'high end PCs and everyone should play PC, why waste money!?!'

I'll tell you why: I want to be a lazy motherfucker, vegging after standing on my feet for hours a day, listening to clients bitch. I want my system to work and games to work, with the same ease 6 years from now, as they do today. I don't want to fiddle with graphics cards, specification and installing drivers and ram. Fuck that noise.

People who enjoy it, great! You chose to, but quit acting above the console crowd.

Console gaming is a choice, I'm aware of what PC can offer and I give no shits.

General vent over.

Now, hitting on your point: Does 2 months make any difference? JP gets MH4G this year, I'm waiting until next year because Capcom says the West needs to.

System spec disparity will be always a spec disparity. PS4 is more powerful than either WiiU and XBO; a higher end PC is more powerful than any of those systems. Does it truly matter? Not really.

What the fuck are you even talking about?

TheCloser

Banned
Yes i would rather take respectable "No we won't make PC version" answer than be treated like second class citizen. If they had plans for PC version they should announced it at least shortly after X360/PS3 release. I don't want to avoid forum posts and not be able to talk about that game with my friends for almost year and a half. Remember GTA V is still mainly SP experience.

Second class citizen, you wish. Pc will be the third platform to get it which makes you a third class citizen and don't you forget that.

I kid, I'm also double dipping on pc and ps4. Does it really matter though? You must understand that pc is not a priority for AAA devs. Yes pc as a platform is thriving and successful but the kind of games that make a splash on pc are not really AAA games. It still represents a small segment for AAA developers and i don't see what benefits they get from porting it over. In the case of gta, there will be a decent roi but for other AAA games that don't carry as much weight as gta, is it worth it? I merely view it as fan service at best.

Almighty

Does it really matter though? You must understand that pc is not a priority for AAA devs. Yes pc as a platform is thriving and successful but the kind of games that make a splash on pc are not really AAA games. It still represents a small segment for AAA developers and i don't see what benefits they get from porting it over. In the case of gta, there will be a decent roi but for other AAA games that don't carry as much weight as gta, is it worth it? I merely view it as fan service at best.

Yeah I doubt they are just doing it for fan service. If publishers thought that the ROI for a PC port wasn't worth it they wouldn't port it. Just look at 3rd parties and Nintendo's consoles for an example of that.

dex3108

Second class citizen, you wish. Pc will be the third platform to get it which makes you a third class citizen and don't you forget that.

I kid, I'm also double dipping on pc and ps4. Does it really matter though? You must understand that pc is not a priority for AAA devs. Yes pc as a platform is thriving and successful but the kind of games that make a splash on pc are not really AAA games. It still represents a small segment for AAA developers and i don't see what benefits they get from porting it over. In the case of gta, there will be a decent roi but for other AAA games that don't carry as much weight as gta, is it worth it? I merely view it as fan service at best.

For me it matters for few reasons. They treat PC community like that and then expect that PC community respects them and be grateful for PC release. That is wrong way to treat anybody. Second thing is that their publisher T2 doesn't have any issues with releasing games on PC platform day one so it makes me believe R* is main reason for PC delay and that is sad because these days PC release is delayed usually because publisher doesn't want it on PC.

Once again i understand their decision from business stand but sometimes relationship with your community and customers worths more than all that money. If you look at all of those GTA IV mods that ended up even on Rockstars Newswire you can see that there is passionate group of your customers who is willing to support game for years.

BlazinAm

This.
Close to 95% of PS4/XBO version buyers will have already experienced GTA V on their stone-age-gen console.

Yet, the untaped market - the PC gamers - have to wait even more. All while those who already played GTA V can play it for a second time before them.

Facts:
- The reasoning that it's because of optimization, is BS. Plain BS.
The PC version has been in development since at least 2012. That's 3 years of development time. That's an awful lot.

- The trailers released by Rockstar for the stone-age-gen consoles were from the PC version. Comparisons show the graphics from the trailers come nowhere close the past-gen version's quality.

- The PS4/XBO versions are ports from the PC version.
No way they could have made an open world game remaster so extensive with the short time the dev kits have been available.

Those facts are bullshit though.

Qassim

Whilst I agree that the big games on PC aren't these kind of console-AAA games, the thing is, Rockstar are relatively unique in the western industry of developers of their size when it comes to how they see the PC platform. They're unique even within their parent company, Take-Two (which even publishes PC exclusive games).

Rockstar's PC strategy is odd - it isn't normal or typical, it's odd. Especially when it comes to GTA.

GlamFM

Banned
This.
Close to 95% of PS4/XBO version buyers will have already experienced GTA V on their stone-age-gen console.

Yet, the untaped market - the PC gamers - have to wait even more. All while those who already played GTA V can play it for a second time before them.

Facts:
- The reasoning that it's because of optimization, is BS. Plain BS.
The PC version has been in development since at least 2012. That's 3 years of development time. That's an awful lot.

- The trailers released by Rockstar for the stone-age-gen consoles were from the PC version. Comparisons show the graphics from the trailers come nowhere close the past-gen version's quality.

- The PS4/XBO versions are ports from the PC version.
No way they could have made an open world game remaster so extensive with the short time the dev kits have been available.

These aren't facts at all.

Seanspeed

Banned
Whilst I agree that the big games on PC aren't these kind of console-AAA games, the thing is, Rockstar are relatively unique in the western industry of developers of their size when it comes to how they see the PC platform. They're unique even within their parent company, Take-Two (which even publishes PC exclusive games).

Rockstar's PC strategy is odd - it isn't normal or typical, it's odd. Especially when it comes to GTA.
I do think they give a shit about PC. They might have released a PC port of the 360/PS3 version, but held out in order to keep the game up-to-date with their planned next-gen version. Imagine how disappointed PC gamers would have been if they'd got a port of the old version and then later on it was announced that next-gen consoles were getting the new and improved GTAV, ya know? That would have been ugly. So I think they purposefully chose to wait.

As for the delay, I also really do think its all about optimization. Well, not strictly optimization, but I imagine that they want to put the bulk of their resources into getting the PS4/XB1 versions ready(for obvious financial reasons) and then will work on finalizing the PC version. I don't think trying to get triple-dippers is really the motivation(there cant be that many who will do this). Nor do they just hate PC gamers. We are also getting a feature that wont even be on the consoles. Maybe they could get all 3 versions out at the same time, but it wouldn't be by November.

I can see the sense in it. I just hope the two months is enough.

So.... Yeah... What kind of new items are folks hoping for?

One of the new screenshots shows Trevor equipped with a shoulder bag. Being able to freely wear those would be cool for free roam. Michael could use some more variety for pants and athletic wear. Hopefully everyone's Barber Shop beards benefit from the new pet hair tech. Looking forward to the sea plane, too; I could see some pretty cool flight school missions or player editor missions made for landing that thing in the rivers or even Raton Canyon. We're supposed to be getting new cards, and a lot of the DLC cars were based on relatively new 'super cars' like the LaFerrari, Elemento, new NSX, or even the 6x6 Gwagon. Maybe a Jaguar F-Type or BMW i8. Game could use a few more smaller roadsters. New weapons... I mean, this GTA, and no chain saw? Game is a lot more realistic than Vice City though, and it actually doesn't have much blood -- never really missed it, to be fair. Trevor could use it for dealing with the cartels and bikers though. Speaking of bikers, Trevor could use some vests. New screenshots shows a Lovefist sleeveless shirt so maybe everyone is getting that now as default, and we'll get a few more shirts like that (T has a lot of tanktops but not a lot of sleeveless shirts) or maybe even some vests. Wish the Rocotto (Cayenne/Q6) and Baller (RR Sport) got a few more customization options, too, more on par with the Dubsta, so those would be good new items as well.

Qassim

I do think they give a shit about PC. They might have released a PC port of the 360/PS3 version, but held out in order to keep the game up-to-date with their planned next-gen version. Imagine how disappointed PC gamers would have been if they'd got a port of the old version and then later on it was announced that next-gen consoles were getting the new and improved GTAV, ya know? That would have been ugly. So I think they purposefully chose to wait.

As for the delay, I also really do think its all about optimization. Well, not strictly optimization, but I imagine that they want to put the bulk of their resources into getting the PS4/XB1 versions ready(for obvious financial reasons) and then will work on finalizing the PC version. I don't think trying to get triple-dippers is really the motivation(there cant be that many who will do this). Nor do they just hate PC gamers. We are also getting a feature that wont even be on the consoles. Maybe they could get all 3 versions out at the same time, but it wouldn't be by November.

I can see the sense in it. I just hope the two months is enough.

Oh yeah, I'm not one of those who believe Rockstar 'hate PC' and the people that play games on that platform, I was just pointing out that Rockstar's approach is relatively unique within their part of the industry.

I do have quite a bit of faith in Rockstar to use the time wisely and deliver something good. I'm immensely disappointed that they needed that extra time as it was my most anticipated game for the end of this year, but it hasn't diminished my excitement for the PC version of the game one bit.

Ishida

Banned
Yes i would rather take respectable "No we won't make PC version" answer than be treated like second class citizen. If they had plans for PC version they should announced it at least shortly after X360/PS3 release.

It was YOUR decision to buy the game for PC. It was YOUR decision to make the PC your platform of choice. When you decide for a primary platform for games, you get the advantages and the disadvantages. The advantage are better graphics, mods and whatever else. Disadvantages? That PC is an afterthought for a lot of developers, Rockstar included.

It's like buying a Wii U, and then complaining about the lack of third party support.

You cannot have everything all the time.

Top Bottom