• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTTV/Spike is airing an entire episode about Unreal Engine 4 on June 7th

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
*thumbs up*

I'm not mad on the style of the demo but the tech and the rendering quality etc. seems really good. I think if the consoles are powerful enough, and if we're seeing this now, at this stage, there's going to be a lot of great stuff in store.

I have to say, that while the tech demo itself was rather meh, the developer video was impressive. If they're right, and this is going to save time and money for devs, it can only be a good thing.

derFeef

As a PC user this doesnt look as huge a leap as I would expect.

But im still pumped

Man, the lighting is above everything we have seen though. Sure is subtle as hell, but the bounce lights and how everything affects the whole scene is fantastic.

Fabrik

Banned
They kinda proved it was, so uhm...yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9xhFpuIMX4

Dodgy. I think it proves that particular shot was realtime that's it (Still very impressive). I doubt the city shots are realtime though.

I love UE4 demo better because it's actually how real games will look like during gameplay sequences. No way a game with the level of detail seen in the Final Fantasy demo will be playable.

Also I'm surprised this topic is only 14 pages.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Dodgy. I think it proves that particular shot was realtime that's it (Still very impressive). I doubt the city shots arerealtime though.
There really is no reason to doubt Square here...

It would be one thing if their track record with demos was shady, but it really isn't.

Fabrik

Banned

It would be one thing if their track record with demos was shady, but it really isn't.

I choose not to believe :)
But even if everything is truly real-time, gameplay will not be this detailed. It would take a decade to make a game like this.

Xun

It still has that UE3 feel in regards to things, but I'm still impressed.

This will be great for developers.

The Square Enix tech demo was superb, but I don't see it as being feasible yet. Star Wars 1313 however is in the realms of possibility for the next consoles, and that excites me.

It really will.

It means third part developers who are already familiar with UE3 can produce a great looking game early into the next generation.

Wich makes me wonder...

Can unfinished products/games made in the UE3 format be transfered directly over into UE4 or does the developer have to start from scratch?

demolitio

Engine and tech looks great and I love their ideas to make it simpler on the developers, so hopefully that time saved can save some money for studios. I just wish they chose a more vibrant artstyle for the tech demo.

modulaire

The Square Enix demo is very limited, though. Everything was built for the exact camera angles they used. As soon as they stopped the video and tried to fly around with their camera you can see missing geometry, streched textures etc.

At least in Epic's demo they can fly around in their castle, there are multiple rooms and it's basically a "real" level.

Textures are not impressive but damn the rest sure is. The particles, the lens flares, the day/night shift etc. The whole particle system just screams fantasy RPG because just imagine a mage firing spells with those type of particles surrounding it.

Xun

It really will.

It means third part developers who are already familiar with UE3 can produce a great looking game early into the next generation.
Indeed.

I only just watched the developer demo, and I'm already even more impressed than I was with the video.

Once this engine is given to talented hands, I can really see some truly tremendous stuff (like 1313).

The actual tech demo did not impress me massively...infact, I thought the Samaritan demo looked better...Probably wasnt the right context to show off the new engine. I certainly found the luminous engine demo far more impressive...but with this at least I feel games will reach this level soon enough without much problem...the SE demo I am not so confident about

Sibylus

Banned
First video didn't really outdo the hype built around it, but the second video was worth the wait (and then some). There's a ton of dynamism and functionality here I wish I had right now, and all built into what seems like it could prove to be a solid middle-tier engine. Astronomically better looking games without equally astronomic production costs (especially with regard to the integrated global lighting systems), I don't know, this seems like an engine and a toolset that could get the job done. People aren't excited? On account of a FF tech demo cinematic*? What le fuck.

*Which is realtime to be fair, but it's still nothing to lose one's mind over. The optimization shortcuts one can take in a cinematic are too numerous to list (moreso in a one-off cinematic like this, not like the level will be interacted with after it runs its course), entire sides of building can be excised, no geometry or characters in the world technically need to have collision simulation running, you can matte large swaths of the background, LODs can probably be much more aggressive (given the fixed camera), entire sections of the world can be aggressively and manually culled as the scenes change, etc. Looks great, but it's not something you can rely on as a benchmark for playable levels in the slightest.

-PXG-

The actual tech demo did not impress me massively...infact, I thought the Samaritan demo looked better...Probably wasnt the right context to show off the new engine. I certainly found the luminous engine demo far more impressive...but with this at least I feel games will reach this level soon enough without much problem...the SE demo I am not so confident about

Don't get me wrong, Samaritan still looks great, but the lighting is dated as hell compared to Elemental's. People need to stop confusing art with tech. Samaritan is just more appealing to the eye because artists spent more time making a more detailed environment and set of characters. From a techinical persepctive, it doesn't come close to UE4.

If you're into developement, want to be a a dev or currently working in the industry, this demo should make you shit yourself. The fact that everything is rendered in real-time AND dynamic, on a current gen PC (with a single graphics card, that is readily available) AND can be altered AND played within the editor itself is utterly amazing. Tell me that Cry Engine 3 or Luminous (both are still impressive too, by the way) lets you do all of that too...

From a pure gamer's point of view or a complete aesthetic point of view, I can understand why this wouldn't impress you. However if you're looking at Elemental in that light, then I suppose you just don't get it.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't both Cry Engine 3 and Luminous show off run time alterations? It didn't seem as flexible as UE4 but its worth mentioning.

I'm not one to usually let visuals bother me, but this week at E3 has really made me realize we need the next generation, now. After seeing this, 1313 and Watch Dogs. I'm ready.

Salih

So what i get from the comments here: lighting and particles are the improvements people wanted to see for next-gen? really? I mean, i would like to see how good human faces, hair etc. look and render, how they act and behave, how believable the movements and animations are. but hey, we get improved lighting and particles. yeah, i guess.

Despera

Banned
Particles, lighting and reflection effects are out of this world!! Would like to see how well they implemented cloth physics as well as sub-surface scattering on human faces.

Next gen is so close now.

tkscz

Particles, lighting and reflection effects are out of this world!! Would like to see how well they implemented cloth physics as well as sub-surface scattering on human faces.

Next gen is so close now.

That seemed to be the only thing that's new for next gen though. Crytek's CE 3.4 seemed to be better IMO if for the physics and tessellation. I just feel Epic over hyped UE4 and made it sound on the level of movie CGI. This is nowhere near Avatar. And doesn't make Samaritan look like shit in comparison.

Dodgy. I think it proves that particular shot was realtime that's it (Still very impressive). I doubt the city shots are realtime though.

I love UE4 demo better because it's actually how real games will look like during gameplay sequences. No way a game with the level of detail seen in the Final Fantasy demo will be playable.

Also I'm surprised this topic is only 14 pages.

Uhm no. When asked about in-game IQ Tim Sweeny said there were tradeoffs to be made. So what we saw what UE4 in its current form at its peak.

Underwhelming demo and walkthrough. This isn't a generation ahead of the competition, seems more like a necessary step to keep up with (and for now at least get slightly ahead of) the competition. Besides the particle tech nothing really seemed like "groundbreaking new tech". GI, on the fly editing, better post processing, colored particles and finally a deffered renderer.
I feel like I've seen most of this either in Frostbite 2 or CE 3.

derFeef

People are going to be so disappointed if they think this is underwhelming. The context may be not to your liking, but the lighting alone makes it for me.

Portugeezer

If it's like this gen, because it's UE4, remember that proprietor engines developers make will look even better.

Also keep in mind the impressive thing was that it's all real time, no console trickery, with trickery and resources saved things could look even better. I don't that that is the point of UE4; but I'm just saying, to those who are unimpressed (i.e. fooled by consoles trickery this gen)

tkscz

If it's like this gen, because it's UE4, remember that proprietor engines developers make will look even better.

Also keep in mind the impressive thing was that it's all real time, no console trickery, with trickery and resources saved things could look even better. I don't that that is the point of UE4; but I'm just saying, to those who are unimpressed (i.e. fooled by consoles trickery this gen)

Not why I"m unimpressed. I'm unimpressed do to the hype epic was giving UE4. I was impressed by Samaritan, I am impressed by CE 3.4, and that's something I can see the Wii U running (only because it has a tessellation unit and supports compute shaders). No doubt UE4's reflective lighting and particles are amazing, but everything else wasn't as much as Epic made it seemed.

Fabrik

Banned
Uhm no. When asked about in-game IQ Tim Sweeny said there were tradeoffs to be made. So what we saw what UE4 in its current form at its peak.

So it means the playable graphics from the Luminous engine will be even more far removed from what we saw in the demo.

Portugeezer

Not why I"m unimpressed. I'm unimpressed do to the hype epic was giving UE4. I was impressed by Samaritan, I am impressed by CE 3.4, and that's something I can see the Wii U running (only because it has a tessellation unit and supports compute shaders). No doubt UE4's reflective lighting and particles are amazing, but everything else wasn't as much as Epic made it seemed.

In that case I agree with you.

Luigiv

Really now?

Yeah pretty much.

Watching all the E3 2012 CryEngine demonstrations right before watching the UE4 demo made it quite clear that the former had the advantage.

UE4 is a great step forward for Epic after the mediocrity that was UE3 but in the they're only just catching up with Crytek now. Dynamic lighting? Particles? In engine testing? Those are all features CryEngine 2 had 5 years ago.

lefantome

Can you explain me what is better in CE 3-4?

I can't say, post screenshots, whatever, event the cinema edition looks like crap compared to what UE4 can do.

I know that elemental art and setting aren't the best choices to show how the new games will look like but it's easy to spot the huge leap between them, and it's not about tessellation.

Both luminous and UE4 show a better lightning and a lot of cool stuff more.

SW 1313 it's a in between old and next gen and looks awesome too.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Yeah pretty much.

Watching all the E3 2012 CryEngine demonstrations right before watching the UE4 demo made it quite clear that the former had the advantage.

UE4 is a great step forward for Epic after the mediocrity that was UE3 but in the they're only just catching up with Crytek now.

So you can tell me with a straight face that Cryengine does particles better?

Everything still has a flat/glossy look to it like with UE3, I hate that, it looks awful
The particles and whatnot are nice though
Luminous Studios looks far more impressive to me, but SE aren't offering it out to other studios so I'm sure the trade off between the two is reasonable

Top Bottom