• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guerrilla Games Explains Why Horizon Zero Dawn Doesn’t Need a Multiplayer Mode

StoveOven

Banned
I never thought this game would have multiplayer and don't want it to, but I do get why the people who made Killzone would feel the need to explain this.

Of course not. They are building a huge open world, action RPG. It is also a new IP. That alone is a massive hurdle. Adding on a competent and good MP? Yeah, no. Let them get the foundation in place and expand from there.

I can understand why people may have wondered about MP given how Killzone, and so by extension also Guerrilla Games, is famed for it. However to those asking the question, the answer that there's no MP in a ARPG shouldn't come as a surprise.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Hey guerrila, if you don't want comparisons to an MMO, please look at witcher and DA:I on how NOT to do resource gathering. Seriously, it sucks and isn't fun to keep wandering around finding flowers or rocks. Make the animation super short or just have your character collect things by walking over them. Or better yet, a non tedious way to level up or make weapons/ammo.

Razzorn34

xenoblade x and dragon age inquistion have multiplayer

True, but also very different.

Xenoblade Chronicles X only has limited multiplayer. It is also integrated well into the main game, so it doesn't feel tacked on by any means.

Dragon Age Inquisition multiplayer is the definition of tacked on. This is what no one wants.

Hey guerrila, if you don't want comparisons to an MMO, please look at witcher and DA:I on how NOT to do resource gathering. Seriously, it sucks and isn't fun to keep wandering around finding flowers or rocks. Make the animation super short or just have your character collect things by walking over them. Or better yet, a non tedious way to level up or make weapons/ammo.

You don't have to gather flowers or rocks(?) in The Witcher 3 unless you choose to. Everything is obtainable from merchants. Bombs and potions refill via mediation. What are you even on about?

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Good hate multiplayer anyways, unless it's split screen co-op. Give me that single player story driven experience Guerrilla.

Korezo

Can't play open rpg games if it doesn't have mp anymore, it feels like a waste of my time. I'll play dragons dogma though.

neobiz

I thought it would have been cool to create a character and hunt some game with friends. It didn't have to be actual characters from the game but more like tribes in the same world.

squidyj

it sounds like humans hunt these robots. that would make for a cool competitive multiplayer mode. 2 groups of humans who have to first hunt the resources from the dinos and then bring them back to a base or something.

More than happy just to be able to play this game tho so i'm not stressed over a lack of multiplayer.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I want SSM to come out and say they fucked up with God of War: Ascension as well. The MP seemed really tacked on and it was evident the SP suffered as a result (very few bosses, several glitches throughout and more)

Kyoufu

I'm always saddened to see "no multiplayer," used as a positive in leading up to a game.

I'm not. Resources better spent enhancing the core experience of a game instead of tacking on a feature the vast majority of users wouldn't even touch to begin with is not only a smart game design choice but also the correct one.

daveo42

Banned
Sad that they have to explain why they aren't including multiplayer in a very single player RPG. More glad that they aren't even attempting to shoehorn in a MP mode just to check a box or because it "adds value" for consumers.

Imagine you could tame one of those creatures and go on hunt with it. Imagine you could fucking ride that bird robo. The possibilities!

A lot of gaming media present the idea of multiplayer being the be all function of a game. It isn't and the fact they had to speak out why is a bit of a shame.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
You don't have to gather flowers or rocks(?) in The Witcher 3 unless you choose to. Everything is obtainable from merchants. Bombs and potions refill via mediation. What are you even on about?
I included dragon age inquisition as well, my friend.

yurinka

As a mostly single mode player, I hate to see games without single player campaign, and single player focused games who spend a lot of resources and money in a multiplayer that doesn't fit the game. Or has happened to me yesterdey to don't be able to play a campaign level in Destiny because it was a forced multiplayer level, and because happened months after release there is nobody there to play it.

Happy to see they skip multiplayer and focus in what is important for the game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
While this game has some potential for MP with hunting large creatures, I'm glad that at least for the first entry in the series that they're focusing in the core of a what makes a quality RPG instead if trying to do too much.

Well, this game isn't a Monster Hunter clone, so you're out of luck, MP or not.

Well I've wanted to see a version of Monster Hunter that was open world, with a focus on story, so it's still got most of what I'm looking for. I already assumed there wouldn't be any multiplayer, but it would have been the icing on top for me.

Good. Establish the game first, get everything done right, then experiment with multiplayer in the sequel. Spreading your resources thin while you're attempting to deliver on an ambitious new IP is a bad idea unless you're going multi-centric.

GHG

Gold Member
Good. I'm so glad that the tacked on multiplayer that plagued so many games last gen is gone.

As much as people complain about it I actually prefer games that are dedicated one way or the other. For example Battlefront has been one of my favourite games of last year as was the Witcher 3. Both at different ends of the spectrum but you can tell each game was developed in a focused way.

Nothings worse than a dead tacked on multiplayer mode that isn't populated.

Actually, one thing is worse... When the dead tacked on non populated multiplayer mode is actually somewhat fun.

I think the actual question is is this game coming out this year or will it be delayed? If we don't see any new footage of this, Dreams, and TLG until E3, I will start getting worried. :\ This is a massive new IP. It looks like they will focus on SP in the first title to ensure single player is good and possibly add MP on the sequel if they can make it work.

Top Bottom